Sign in to follow this  
el_kab0ng

Turbulence difference between B738 and A319?

It might just be the placebo effect of riding in a different airframe, but I could SWEAR there is a marked difference in the amount of 'felt turbulence' in the A319 compared to the B738. Is this all in my head or is some of the turbulence dampening tech found in the A380 on their smaller line of AC?

I've certainly felt the difference... the A320 series seemed noticeably softer in turbulence than the 73.

This is just my opinion but seems to me like there are too many variables to compare this, unless you fly through the same area of turbulence in both planes around the same time. Maybe the "felt turbulence" is more because there's more turbulence during that flight. You could be dealing with different weather conditions and essentially different types of turbulence.

This is a prime example of why PIREPS include type of aircraft. Light chop to a 737 could be moderate turbulence to a C172 going through the same area at the same time, but in your case there's no way to physically compare.

This is just my opinion but seems to me like there are too many variables to compare this, unless you fly through the same area of turbulence in both planes around the same time. Maybe the "felt turbulence" is more because there's more turbulence during that flight. You could be dealing with different weather conditions and essentially different types of turbulence.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. Unless there was a way to experience the same flight in both aircraft in identical weather conditions, it would be hard to make a direct comparison.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The A320ceo's do handle very well in weather, especially the new sharks which have been refitted with LAF.

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg

I disagree, I always thought the opposite. The 737NG handles turbulence better than the Airbus series.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

. The 737NG handles turbulence better than the Airbus series.

I don't think anyone here is skilled or qualified enough to make such a sweeping statement.  I don't  think an aeronautics engineer can make that statement with any degree of certainty.  There are just too many variables.

I don't think anyone here is skilled or qualified enough to make such a sweeping statement. I don't think an aeronautics engineer can make that statement with any degree of certainty. There are just too many variables.

I agree although it's funny you didn't say anything when the discussion was the other way around in favor of the Airbus. Flying in these two airliners I find the Airbus noisier and bumpier than comparable flights in the NG series. This comes from years of flying on the two types. The only exception being the slow lumbering (quiet, very stable) climb of the A321. That airliner has to be the most underpowered airliner out there. It takes forever to get to cruise every time I've flown on it.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I agree although it's funny you didn't say anything when the discussion was the other way around in favor of the Airbus. 

Part-taking in a school ground mud fight about which is better is just silly, short-sighted and usually undertaken with little actual knowledge.  Both are amazing machines for different reasons - and similar reasons.

I've done a fair share of flying in both over the years, in good conditions and bad conditions, but I've never been able to conclude that the Airbus is 'noisier and bumpier'.  I've been on some shockers on the 737-800.    On balance, I prefer Boeing aesthetically and from a flightdeck design perspective however,