Sign in to follow this  
Piper9t3

AMD's Radeon Fury X and P3Dv3

Hello

I am poised to move to P3Dv3 and looking to upgrade my GPU to AMD's Radeon Fury X.  Is there anyone out there using this GPU with P3Dv3 that can share their experience?  Really not interested in hearing "get a 980Ti" just wanna hear back from the community on how this specific card performs with P3Dv3.

Much appreciated !

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

Sorry to say it but get an Nvidia card, I know from experience that they perform better in P3Dv2/3. Used to have a R9 280 3GB card and then "upgraded" to a GTX 960 2GB, had pretty significant stutter problems and wildly varying fps. All that went away after I got the GTX 960. I don't even think you need a GTX 980, the 970 is great bang for the buck unless you're going multimonitor and/-or 4k that is.

I have been following the AMD driver issue over at the LM forum.  There is a workaround fix currently in place and confidence that LM and AMD will correct the problem soon.  Seen Fury X demo at my local computer shop delivering stunning crisp 4K resolution and drooling at the thought of having this kinda display for my flight simulator! 

John Pipilas

I have 4K and it halves my fps

well, more like 20% less, just wrote it that way cause it rhymes

see what 17 years of flight simming does to your brain ?

4K requires a ton of bandwidth and processing power. Not worth it in my opinion. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I like the furyx. Its an ambitious product for sure... I almost bought one myself, but for the fact there were none in Stock at the time.

This afforded me some time to think it through. With a friend's input and really considering how ati vs nvidia vs p3d benchmarks, I ended up getting the 980ti. Best graphic choice I've made.... and I like AMD.

But if u do get the fury, enjoy it and don't look back.

Thanks for posting.  I was really hoping to hear back from anyone actually using the Fury X with P3Dv3....seems like there aren't too many simmers out there at the moment with this GPU ( or any AMD GPU's for that matter! )

John Pipilas

Thanks for posting.  I was really hoping to hear back from anyone actually using the Fury X with P3Dv3....seems like there aren't too many simmers out there at the moment with this GPU ( or any AMD GPU's for that matter! )

One half of my "simming-friends" use AMD cards, the other Nvidia. There is much debate about pros and cons (and pricing). But not in this forum...

I bought me a brandnew R390 with 8GB just for V3. Since yesterday I can use it actually with V3. There was a shader-routine preventing AMD cards to run the sim at all. Wich says a lot about priorities BTW...

With default settings I see well over 100 frames/sec @ 5790x1200. Its not exactly 4k, but close and not the same chip but it may give you a hint on what to expect with a Fury X. Im curious too because I saw one perfoming well with 4k at a local demo. Not running a sim though.

That said, you probably better go with Nvidia just to be on the save side...

Happy simmming , Marcel