Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

KB3086255. Any others?

Not sure if this could be a sticky (if there are enough replies: hopefully there won''t be, for obvious reasons!), but do any FS9 or FSX users know of other Windows KB updates that cause problems? There should be a list somewhere here of updates to avoid..

M.

Ok, and what do you will do with a list? Delete KB3086255 or any other and they will be reinstalled with next updates. Win10 upgrade reminder included. So the only thing is to deactivate updates once for all.

I needed to load some runtime files that were missing when I migrated from XP to Win 7. It also offered to install a hot fix before installing the missing files without a description. It was the DRM hotfix and did not mention the KB number. I rely on third party software (NIS) for protection.

In other application areas MS is auto installing some updates to force the use of cloud services to support third party applications. This was in one of the photo editing forums.

In general, caution with Win updates is needed.

I have a hard disk the same size as my main disk and do a RAW clone copy before updating Win, which I seldom do. Both drives are in cartridges for the two drive nests in my desktop so I can clone from a DVD boot and when done I swap disks which serves to insure the backup is OK and to promote even disk ware. This is better than a system restore based solution. I keep my HDs small at 500 GB and have an NAS attached to store files to archive. I don't use the NAS for drive imaging.

A RAW copy preserves the system partition volume number besides partition labels which satisfies some copy protection schemes. (It also prerserves malwareso be sure the disk is clean before backing up)  :)

Ok, and what do you will do with a list? Delete KB3086255 or any other and they will be reinstalled with next updates. Win10 upgrade reminder included. So the only thing is to deactivate updates once for all.

I would exclude the updates from the download before I even begin. (I would never use Windows 10 with FS9/FSX, other than the Pro version (where one can tailor one's updates), for the very reason that updates will be installed whatever you may want).

Otherwise, I agree, disable all updates: I am only installing them all now to try to solve a BSOD problem :sad:

One's between the devil and the seep blue sea with updates: some I know solve problems, but probably more of them just mess things up which were working fine before!

The only one of consequence is the DRM update that will prevent FS9 (and any other program that uses certain types of DRM) from running. The solution has been published repeatedly.

DJ

I would exclude the updates from the download before I even begin. (I would never use Windows 10 with FS9/FSX, other than the Pro version (where one can tailor one's updates), for the very reason that updates will be installed whatever you may want).

Otherwise, I agree, disable all updates: I am only installing them all now to try to solve a BSOD problem :sad:

BSOD 2, is a great little utility for boot Problems!

Thanks for the link Peter. I am not planning on installing Windows 10, but even so... (Windows has never actually asked me if I want to upgrade to Win10.... ).