Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Alternative to ORBX?

No I haven't. But I will NOW!!!

As an option, I find Aime Leclerqs textures are a great alternative. Especially being freeware. Some of them are simply regular FSX textures. But they are sharpened with some colour enhancements. They look great to my eyes.

All is well now that I've re-installed FSX.  It's actually nice that I get to REALLY select what was before a "bloated" sim.  I will be very, very selective now and hopefully have a wonderfully fluid sim.

Stan

All is well now that I've re-installed FSX.  It's actually nice that I get to REALLY select what was before a "bloated" sim.  I will be very, very selective now and hopefully have a wonderfully fluid sim.

Stan

Sounds good!

Orbx Global is all you need to start  :smile:

• Upvote 1

Bert

Good show Stan. Your decision to reinstall was a good one. Let us know how the new install is working as you add a few things (slowly.....)

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

The only time I've heard of large issues with Orbx like this is if you run a new library installer and it checks for pirated serial numbers.

I think the culprit was AVIRA System Speedup.  I bought that program and it delves into the Registry and makes changes.  That's the only thing I can think of that would perhaps cause me all the terrain problems in ORBX.

FSX Update: Running great.  ORBX Global and Vector completely installed.  Doing PNW now.  Jetline Systems, my computer builder, gave me great advice on reinstallng FSX.  I was stopping it prematurely when "removing applications" didn't seem to move for 10 minutes or so.  They advised me that its a common observation.  Greg at Jetline said it's not unusual that "removing applications" stays still for over 40 minutes.  He said let it alone, and it will load.  He was right.  21 minutes later, FSX reinstalled flawlessly.

Also...I used to save all my Global versions and updates and all my Vector base packs and updates. That was totally unnecessary!  Greg said just go back to Simmarket or where it was bought and just download the program again. IT WILL BE THE LATEST VERSION.  Good advice that I didn't know, so now I don't have to save all those versions and updates and go through numerous installations.

Thanks for all your advice.  Having fun every day now.

Stan

Spoke too soon!  After Global and Vector, it was ok.  However, after PNW Seattle again looked horrible.  Runway incomplete and no real airport to speak of.   PNW seems to be the problem.  Looks like I have to re-install FSX again and avoid PNW.  Something is not right.  The new FSX Central and various changes have me in a situation that I can't figure out.

Stan

Make sure you are running the latest updates for PNW and the latest FTX Central to see if that sorts it out. It would be a shame if you had to reinstall again

Matthew Kane

Spoke too soon!  After Global and Vector, it was ok.  However, after PNW Seattle again looked horrible.  Runway incomplete and no real airport to speak of.   PNW seems to be the problem.  Looks like I have to re-install FSX again and avoid PNW.  Something is not right.  The new FSX Central and various changes have me in a situation that I can't figure out.

Stan

Always install the Orbx Libraries one more time, after installing a Region.

Bert

OK.  I'll try that.  Re-installed FSX again to start fresh.  Didn't have a lot in last install, so I thought I would try again.

Got FSX running great.  Installed ORBX Global and Vector. Totally afraid to install PNW and other regions, as THAT was what screwed up my terrain and airports.  I will install LIBRARIES after each install, but perhaps tomorrow I will give PNW a try.

As of now, everything looks great and is running wonderfully.

Stan