Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Lets Talk TCAS2

Captains-I'm placing this in a second post because I feel very strongly that it is important for the information to be seen by itself!Many years ago, Lefteris was one of the first programmers to focus a significant amount of energy into programming a TCAS system for simulation. In fact- it was Lefteris' TCAS system for FLY! in mid 1999 that eventually led to his joining PMDG on a full time basis. The addition of TCAS to a PMDG FLY! based product was pretty significant back then..... and Lefteris is now Lead Developer for PMDG... Who knew?!!!As many of you know, PMDG is very very picky about our beta testing team. Many of our beta testers are individuals with whom we have had a long standing relationship. Some of our testers are programmers with a significant amount of knowledge in programming, some of our testers are individuals who have a specific specialty such as being type-rated on certain equipment, or real world experience working within certain technical fields.Lee Hetherington joined the PMDG beta team last year after the initial 737 release. We invited Lee to join the team after spending a significant amount of time discusing various technical topics with him by email. Lee is both a knoweldgeable engineer and a programmer, so he seemed to be an obvious choice to help us round out our beta team.At PMDG we maintain a close relationship with our beta team and we rely upon them for opinions and input on many topics. In fact- it is probably safe to say that our beta team should be largely credited for helping PMDG to reach some of the goals that have been set before us. They are a hard working, inventive, imaginitive group of fellows who are absolutely unafraid to offer opinions both positive and negative!During the fall of 2003, Lefteris and Lee Hetherington began a discussion about how to implement "real world TCAS" into Flight Simulator. You see, up until now the TCAS that has been made available to users has not been a true TCAS at all- but more a TCAD-type "Airaft proximity radar" system.Lee, rising to a personal challenge, decided to see if he could take the actualy behavioral laws used by TCAS2 in the real world, and apply it to Flight Simulator.As he continued forward, it became apparent that Lee's skill in modeling the TCAS2 operation was unmatched, and soon a close collaboration developed between Lefteris and Lee.Lefteris worked to ensure that the logic process developed by Lee would work to provide realistic output within the confines of PMDG's products and Lee effectively produced the most realistic version of TCAS2 that we have seen outside of a CFR 25 certified airplane.The TCAS2 that is to be included in the PMDG 737-800/900 is the first completely realistic implementation of TCAS2 Version 7.0 to be found in the Flight Simulator World.The TCAS II Version 7.0 logic simulation was written by LeeHetherington and is an accurate simulation of the logic as defined bydocument RTCA DO-185A, TCAS II Change 7 Minimum Operational Standards.The logic is capable of generating all types of resolution advisories(RAs), including visual vertical speed and pitch commands and auralalerts. It properly implements sense selection (go above/belowintruder) and reversals, strength selection and changes, correctivevs. preventive RAs, and multiaircraft RAs. It even uses the specified non-linear trackers for altitude and range/bearing tracking.The logic as been tested extensively against TSIM test ecounters, and it has been found to pass all 250 tests not requiring TCAS/TCASnegotiation or Mode S ground station communications. (Neither of which can be implemented within Flight Simulator at this time.)With help from Lefteris, we were able to integrate Lee's TCAS2 Version 7.0 functionality seemlessly into the PMDG 737-800/900 and after extensive testing we are very proud to bringing such capability to the marketplace!Lee has done a tremendous job in developing real world logic/behavior for TCAS2, and we are certain you will find it's use to be both illuminating and realistic.TCAS2 will be available for us in conjunction with the FS9 dynamic traffic, as well as while flying online in a controlled environment.We have included options for users who wish to see TCAS2 function at it's most realistic (surrounding aircraft are not displayed unless they trigger an advisory or resolution advisory) and also options for those who wish to have some of the "situational awareness" of seeing all surrounding traffic regardless of conflict potential.Look for TCAS2 in the PMDG 737-800/900....

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Lee has my vote :-) Testing TCAS2 has been a real hoot."The logic as been tested extensively against TSIM test ecounters, and it has been found to pass all 250 tests not requiring TCAS/TCAS negotiation or Mode S ground station communications."So if you get a conflict between two on-line PMDG -800/-900 users, I guess the person with the fastest computer/internet connection gets to make the first move(?) :-)I did notice that this TCAS is so detailed/complex it does have a steep-ish learning curve (Hope we don't get too many reports with the word BUG in large letters in the subject title... Read the manual before posting, folks! (not like what I did :()).Looking forward to using it in the NG.Cheers.Ian.P.S. Where do we send the TCAS royalty cheques? Honeywell? Lee? PMDG team? :-)

hi all,first i have to say how much i appreciate your effort to reproduce features as real as possible.Second...as an owner of the 737-600NG i was asking myself if buying the 737-800/900 will upgrade my 600 with the forementioned features.If so i would be very happy.Best regardsHolger DallmeyerBAW277/EDDK

I had no idea that it was going to be this advanced :| Again and again, PMDG are implementing cutting edge technology into flight simulator. This should be a truely magnificent product! I can't wait!A pat on the back to all involved! By golly you'll be rich after this one releases!Geoffrey Balean (YSCB) - gbalean@emailme.com.auMSN: gbalean@hotmail.com

I too would like to extend my appreciation to Lee Hetherington for his work on the intregration of TCAS for the 800-900 series. As most of you know, Lee, an avid PIC 767 simmer (where I first came into contact with him) has always impressed me with his attention to detail and his non-compromise of features he felt should be done right in the PMDG 737 ng regardless of reactions to his sometimes frank but correct opinions ;) I think the flight sim community owes him a big thumbs up for taking our hobby to that next level, thank you Lee. Also, PMDG are a great bunch of guys to be working with. I don't know how many other developers have taken it upon themselfs to use their beta members ideas and work and incorporate it into thier product, two examples in this case would be my art work on the 600-700 series (MCP and CDU etc) and Lee's TCAS for the 800-900. They listen carefully to every concern and do their best to see what we have asked for to be implemented into the product, so it really is something special to me to be a part of this project and a big thanks to Robert and all the members of PMDG for going above the call of duty for all of us to have the very best flight simulator add-ons.[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpg

I appreciate all of the PMDG team, including beta testers and contributors. I think what PMDG has done with this NG project is beyond words. The flight sim community has it's share of amazing pay ware developers, but you guys go way above the level of top quality. I can't imagine too many other developers adding the functions to the FMC or putting so much realism into the TCAS system. Most developers wouldn't think this is practical and just wastes time. I'm glad you guys have done so much work on this project, for it sets a new standard. I can't wait for this new package, and I look forward to a real TCAS system, FMC, and other excellent features.Sincerely,Chris

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest bigun

The obvious cooperation and teamwork between the beta testers and PMDG is evident with the 600/700 and is continuing with the 800/900. Ya'll never cease to amaze me with what you are doing:) Like I've said several times in the past, I've been "playing" with FS since the old SubLogic days. The day the 737NG was released, I got serious! I really don't think you have a clue as to how much enjoyment you have added to FS for me and I'm sure many others.Thanks

Hello Team,In addition to the above mentioned, I have to let you guys know, that besides giving an unbeatable enjoyment and experience to those who are familiar with the real thing (Beta Team), you are giving people not so familiar (many end-user) a chance to get to know these birds far more better than any documentary film or paper could ever do. This is enjoyment while learning, aka EWL, which is 100% implemented in all of your products ;-)Thank you PMDGCheers,

To echo the other testers' sentiments, Lee has done an amazing job with this. I am actively TRYING now to collide with AI planes while testing the 800/900 just so I can marvel at how well the TCAS system works! Who would have thought? ;) :D

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest TrafficTraffic

Thanks for the kind words, Robert. I'm not sure I deserve that much praise. My head might get too big. No comments about it already being too big!Frankly, the logic worked out better than I had planned: it ended up better than my best case scenario. I didn't really think I would be able to pull off complete TSIM (TCAS II logic simulator) test case compatibility, but things fell nicely into place. I enjoyed working with Lefteris to smooth out the API so our code could play nicely together.I really do think this TCAS represents the state-of-the-art in Flight Simulator. It is hard to imagine how it could be more realistic. How much better can you do than matching TSIM behavior second-by-second on hundreds of TCAS test encounters? Lefteris' RA displays are real-world too, including VSI (red/green bands) and ADI ("don't fly" pitch angles).It is fun to chase down AI aircraft and see what kinds of RAs the logic generates. It basically plays a lot of "what ifs" and figures out the optimal vertical speed resolution given the encounter geometry. Hopefully others will have fun with it too and learn a bit about how real TCAS II v7 works. I think a lot of folks will be chasing traffic when this is released. Just don't do it on VATSIM in sight of ATC!Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)

Guest tmetzinger

>It is fun to chase down AI aircraft and see what kinds of RAs>the logic generates. It basically plays a lot of "what ifs">and figures out the optimal vertical speed resolution given>the encounter geometry. Hopefully others will have fun with>it too and learn a bit about how real TCAS II v7 works. I>think a lot of folks will be chasing traffic when this is>released. Just don't do it on VATSIM in sight of ATC!>>Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)Can't wait to see it... I do assume that the TCAS will be available on the 6&700?

Guest Matthias1975

Will this wonderfull TCAS2 simulation also be implemented in your next project : the 747-400???ThanksMatthias

>Just don't do it on VATSIM in sight of ATC!LOL! I can see it now - "OFFICIAL VATSIM NOTAM: Due to deliberate losses of vertical separation by operators, the PMDG 737NG is now banned from the network!" Yeah right!Matthias,I'm sure it will be in the 747-400 as well...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest captbulldog 2

I follow Lee closely with the 767. His work is nothing short of the best. Glad to see that more people will get to enjoy and appreciate Lee's work through the 737.