Sign in to follow this  
Guest frankathl

Etienne's Pushback/Taxi Gauge

Has anyone installed this gauge(atngau11.zip) successfully in the 737NG? If so, can you post the relevant parts from your panel.cfg file, please?I've tried with several aircraft(not the PMDG), but FS9 says it can't load the gauge atn.gau and forces me to abort the program :-((it is in the Gauges folder, where it's supposed to be).More than likely, I'm doing something wrong, since I find installing gauges a very hit and miss affair. Tutorials, anybody?Thanks,Frank

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi, Frank.I've been using Etienne's nifty pushback/taxi gauge in all the 737NG panels for some time now. I just followed his instructions. The only change I made was to the size of the toggle icon (from 12X12 to 16X16 to closer match the sizes of the PMDG toggles).I also repositioned the toggle gauge so that it appears on the windshield centerpost. To add the gauge, only 3 steps are necessary.1) In {Window Titles} add:Window17=Pushback2) In {Window01} // PMDG_MAIN_PANEL add:gauge26=Atn!Toggle,990,217,16,16, 151233) After the {Window 16} section, add{Window17}position=3background_color=92,92,92size_mm=300, 272window_size=300, 192visible=0sizeable=1ident=15123gauge00=atn!Pushback, 0,0,300,80,15123gauge01=atn!Scale, 0,80,300,56gauge02=atn!Electric, 0,136,300,56gauge03=atn!Ambient,0,192,300,80Be sure to make these changes to the panel.cfg files in both your Panel and Panel.VC folders.You also might check to see if you have the msvcr71.dll file in your Windowssystem32 directory. If not, just copy it from Etienne's zip file.

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply, Ron!As far as I know, I did just what you did above(in the Cessna 172 and 777), but it would not work for me. When loading FS9, I get a message saying FS is unable to load the gauge atn.gau. Then I have to restart FS9. I did put the atn.gau in the Gauges folder, and the msvcr71.dll in the System32 folder.At work now, so I can't check yet, but I will use your template above to attach the gauge to the 737NG panel this evening.Some follow up questions, if you don't mind? I've had a lot of frustration trying to install gauges, and the worst part is not that it doesn't work first time, but not knowing why it doesn't work! How do you decide the xy coordinates for the gauge? Is it trial and error, or do you use a pixel editor?(I've looked at the coordinates for other gauges on whatever panel I'm using, to try to pick a location nearby, but it hasn't worked :-(). Also, do the xy coordinates start from top of the screen, or from the top of the panel proper? Is the window glass part of the main panel? I'm probably not being clear, but I suspect that some of my gauges are being placed in the scenery(through the window) rather than on the panel, and so are invisible?Too many questions, I know. I would love to know if there is a general step-by-step tutorial for installing gauges somewhere?Thanks again for your help,BR,Frank

Hi, glad you like that gauge! There's an update in the works with some additional features requested:1) ability to use a tug to pull the a/c out of a hangar with no power.2) keyboard hotkey support for the hardware cockpitsSome other things too coming... The PDF doc should include have a fairly comprehensive guide to installation. A good reference for the contents of the panel.cfg file is from Microsoft's Panel SDK that you can download from the FS game site. The doc is old but it does include all the relevant parts in the panel.cfg.Oh, and about FS not loading: check that you have the MSVCR71.DLL file in the system32 folder (main windows folder). The C++ runtime libraries are no longer included with operating system service packs. If the DLL is missing, FS9 can't load the gauge file because the operating system can't run it, and you get this error. And if all else fails, drop me an e-mail :)Cheers,

Yes, it looks very good, Etienne(haven't got to try it yet, though :-().I notice from your tutorial, included with the gauge, that you have installed it in the PMDG 737NG. If possible, could you post the coordiantes you used on the panel, please?Thanks again,Frank

Etienne,I have been using your gauge since you uploaded to Avism a while back. Excellent bit of work and very very handy.How can I change it so that the gauge is located in a different part of the screen when it opens?Anyway, when you upload the update will you please put a thread on the forums as I dont think many people are aware of your utility.Once again, thanks for a great program.My details in panel.cfg are as follows:-Under (Window01) partgauge27=Atn!Toggle,651,597,21,21,15123(window**)position=3background_color=92,92,92size_mm=300, 272window_size=300, 192visible=0sizeable=1ident=15123gauge00=atn!Pushback, 0,0,300,80,15123gauge01=atn!Scale, 0,80,300,56gauge02=atn!Electric, 0,136,300,56gauge03=atn!Ambient,0,192,300,80Best regardsKeith

Who hijacked the PMDG forum anyway :)My humblest apologies. I probably should start a thread in the add-on forum unless someone here can recommend a better spot.The info you seek is in the SDK documentation, which I am paraphrasing below. There are at least 2 ways to do this.1) Change the position= param to one of these values:0 = upper-left corner1 = upper-middle side2 = upper-right corner3 = middle-left side4 = middle5 = middle-right side6 = lower-left corner7 = lower-middle side8 = lower-right corner2) remove the position statement, and place the window to a specific pixel(mm) position:window_pos=0.5, 0.5 // places the window 1/2 up and down the screen// change XX for the window number you set in the [Windows] section[WindowXX]BACKGROUND_COLOR=1,1,1size_mm=300,136window_size=1position=8visible=0ident=15123gauge00=Atn!Pushback,0,0,300,80,15123gauge01=Atn!Scale,0,80,300,56...

Hi FrankI have been using a different pushback gauge but seeing your thread I thought I'd give Etienne's a try. I copied and pasted Ron's data into my panel.cfg file and it didn't work. I then noticed that, in the copy and paste process, in step 3, where "Window17" is meant to be surrounded by square brackets, I had got curly brackets instead. Once I'd changed them back to square brackets everything worked fine. Could this be your problem perhaps?By the way, like your gauge Etienne. 'Twas time for a change anyway :-)Paul Croft10 miles SE of EGLL

Hi,Maybe someone could help me with a small problem that I'm having with Etienne's great gauge. When I first load the NG, I can't get the Pushback panel to appear using the icon (there is a hand cursor but clicking does nothing). I can load the panel from the menu bar and after that it works fine (clicking the icon will cause the panel to appear and disappear).Charlie

Thanks for the tip, Paul. Will try this later.Did you install in the 737NG? If so, can you give me the switch coordinates, please?Cheers,Frank

Yes, I did put it in the NG737, but I didn't put my switch on the centre post. It's near the bottom centre of the panel. This is the line from window01 of my panel.cfg that controls the switch: gauge26=Atn!Toggle,608,929,19,19, 15123so the x position is 608, y position is 929 and the switch is 19 pixels square. Bear in mind, though, that my resolution is 1280x1024. If yours is different you'll need different coordinates.Paul Croft10 miles SE of EGLL

Etienne. Thanks for the great guage! Just 1 Q. I have the guage showing up in my PMDG 737 /600/700/800/900 and I attempted to use the TUG guage. Only problem for me is everything is fine except when I press A/P (CMD A) to engage it, nothing happens. The A/P does not come on for me. Therefore the TUG guage is not working for me as described in the PDF document. Have I missed something. Everything seems to work, but the A/P step. Regards,Tom Stewart

Sorry my misunderstanding. I figured it out. I thought you meant the 737 A/P. I have now got the taxi top work by depressing "your" button on the guage panel. I keep getting a buzzer when I depress the TUG button though. I have a configuration problem I guess. OK, solved! I forgot to release the parking break before depressing the TUG A/P....Regards,Tom Stewart

Does this gauge work with the 737-600/700FS keeps telling me it cant load the gauge.Graham

Yes, it works :)If FS won't load, that's probably because there's a DLL that the manual references that needs to be placed in the windows folder.By the way, new version posted earlier this week here:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...4gau&DLID=54240with the wrong documentation (I realized that while my testers including me tested the gauge, we apparently didn't test the documentation :)), but just note that the window size is supposed to be 272 pixels for the height, not 192 as it says in the docs. Using 192 clips the bottom gauge.I also have an update (1.3) that will add a few more things coming soon once it's out of testing - including a documentation fix.