Sign in to follow this  
Alec

How do you plan your flights?

First I wanna thank Mats Johansson and Brad Marsh, at the other topic they helped me to find a good checklist to that beautiful bird.Do you use any planning software? Like Fsbuild or Fsnav. How do you do with the charts, you already have them or you print just before the flight? I wanna know this because that

Alexis Mefano

Guest nramsey

I'm lame and just use the default FS2004 planner to give me waypoints, or VATSIM sometimes changes my clearance. I choose my own SIDS/STARS for the most part.

Hey GeorgeThe only thing I saw on that site was phones to buy some kind of software that I don

Alexis Mefano

Alec,I would recommend the following site:http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/Enter the origin and destination identifiers and it produces the flight plan for you based on the current AIRAC cycle.You still need the charts to assign a particular SID and STAR but the planning the route is very good.It also gives you a detailed trip distance for your preflight fuel loading needs.Hope it helpsDom

Most of the time planning the flight (i.e. the time frame before my plane actually leaves the gate) takes about 30 minutes. This is what I do after choosing a destination:- enter the plane at the departure airport- ActiveSky 2004 loadup for weather- www.pmfp.com for flight plans - a great online tool!!- put the flightplan into the FMC, FSNAV, AS 2004, and optionally FS9 for IFR ATC guidance- based on distance and winds calculate required fuel with PMDG fuel planner utility- start loading fuel with FSBoarding- Set up the rest of the FMC, MCP, other systems.- by the time you are finished with the before pushback checklist, it is already 30 minutes later. And you are still on the ground, but certainly ready for pushback.This is the closest I can reasonably get with FS9 and PMDG to the real procedure. It makes simulator-flying so much more realistic. On the other hand it streches a 2-hour flight to a good 4-hour show at the computer - do not try this at home if you have a wife and kids!!!! :)Cheers,

Balint,The link you posted for PMFP is interesting though it comes with a very limited flight plan database.The autorouting is unavailable too.Dom

I have FSBuild, but rarely use it. I find myself using FAA IFR Enroute High Altitude maps and basically creating my plan. I rarely ever use SIDs or STARS either. I get all my maps from the airports.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Dom,Matchpoint is at your side, bad linking is on mine. Hopefully this one will give you the correct target:http://rfinder.asalink.net/Maybe you already know this one, but if not you will find flight planning a new meaning from now on if you are a PMDG simmer. This site is always updated with the latest AIRAC cycle from Richard Stefan and has many-many usable features to give you a perfect flight plan at the bottom line.Upon entering, please click on "Free Area" on the right side of the page. There are more neat stuff for planning inside the payware area, but I found the free one is just up to my needs.

Mostly, I'll just use High Altitude Charts for domestic flights. And for whatever SID's, STAR's, or IAP's I might need, if I don't have 'em handy, I'll get from http://www.myairplane.com or somewhere else (the VATSIM ARTCC or FIR website in which the airport I'm flying to is located is always a good place to start). I do have FSBuild, if I need it. After planning the flight, I'll keep the route handy in a route database that I have, should I ever need it again.

Bill Alderson

WOWWWW!!Thanks for that planning site, must be good.But I usually use Fsbuild, which calculate the fuel ( Ok Ok it always gives me wrong numbers ) and you can print like a captain has on a paper before the flight. ActiveSky2004 is a must have for every serious simmer. Do you know how to use that fuel planner at PMDG site? There is somethings that I

Alexis Mefano

Hello,in case you are planning to fly from or to airports in Switzerland, Austria and Germany, visit the "VACC-SAG Flightplan Center" here: http://fpc.vacc-sag.org . This online database contains more than 5700 routings, all validated against the most current AIRAC cycle. VATSIM controllers in the VACC-SAG area expect you to adhere to this flightplans.The Flightplan Center also allows you to define and store your own aicraft definitions. With these definitions, together with the routing from the database you can have the VATSIM flightplan prefiling web form filled completely - you just need to enter your ID and PW to prefile.Yours,Martin Georg/EDDFVACC-SAG PR & Events Coordinator *** mailto:sag11@vacc-sag.orghttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...r=SAG01&a=a.jpg

Thank guys but I only fly inside Brazil because I have all kind of charts of this country. Hey, nice site that http://www.fltplan.com!!Is there any other good fuel planner than that at PMDG site?

Alexis Mefano