Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dr-Foo

Flight modeling question

>Very nice modelled yoke, but as with all pc -addon's the>"heavy feeling" and the force you need in the real one is>missing.>I tend to agree. I don't own any of those real expensive yokes but was able to test one at a recent Avsim conference. The yoke was very well made but that was its only advantage - I found the CH yoke actually had a better feel to it in terms of the response forces. Anyway, I walked away with clear impression that the yoke was not worth almost $1000 beacuse of rather dissaponiting 'feel'. Of course others may disagree.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

My yoke certainly has a heavy "feel" to it and you have to pull harder (more resistence) than those plastic types offer. While I agree that no yoke can come close to the real deal at least this one comes closer than any others that I have tried.. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

hehe sure. Let me know when you would like to come over. Perhaps next weekend or something ;P..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest Dr-Foo

Following up with a reply to my own post....am I now talking to myself?:-lol I just got back from searching about 4-5 stores known to carry MSFS2004 (what I need for QOTS) and all of them are out of stock!! Just my luck to start 2006 out learning to master the 744 and all its intricacies. Alright, who on this forum is responsible for depleting all the units of FS2004 in the Portland, Oregon, metro-area??? Are they all on Ebay now?Okay, back to my original reason for posting. Simple question really. I have a HP pavilion notebook, XP media-edition, 3.06Ghz, 1.25Gbs RAM (PC2700/333MHz), nvidia Geforce FX Go5600 with 128Mbs vram. Will I be able to get decent framerates/image quality with MSFS and PMDG's QOTS? With my current hardware, will these programs command a lot of usage of my cpu and downgrade visual/operation effects? Sure would be nice to fly at FL350 and see land below me and enjoy cloud/weather effects as well. But, I don't want to jump into this if my computer set up will leave me disappointed. Not sure if I need a "high-end" PC or not.BTW, does anyone have QT videos of their flight to share...cockpit view of flying through clouds and landing, etc.? It'd be nice to see what I'm getting myself into! :-lolThanks for your help and suggestions.Dr-Foo

I checked CompUSA stores in my area (San Francisco) and most is out of stock with 2 stores having 'limited' quantities. This late into the FS9 business cycle with awash of new rumors about the next version of this game just around the corner - you may have a hard time getting it from behind a counter.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Michael,ha,I was in compUSA in San Francisco just 48hrs ago,small world!regardsJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Michael,Just done 2 SFOs in a row so doubt I`ll get another in 2 years now!Had to do a X-bleed start and had a few problems with duct pressure,had to crank number 4 a bit high and probably blew out a few windows in the terminal so they won`t be asking me back in a hurry!Do you fly/own a Piper out there or I`am I thinking of someone else?Jon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

>Do you fly/own a Piper out there or I`am I thinking of someoneJon, yes to 'fly' a Piper (Archer) but no to 'own'. Some people are dreaming of a white Chrstmas and I am dreaming of a Cirrus SR22 (Mooney Ovation or Columbia 400 would be fine too). ;)Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

To be honest its all at random now we have a computer doing the rosters. its a high block time flight so you dont get too many west coasts now as the computer prefers to give you a couple of lower houred east coasts or carribean flights,but you`ll get the odd one to boost you hours towards the annual target on occasions.SFO is my best trip,I like to hire a BMW motorbike and cruise up the coast to point reyes.Jon

787 captain.  

Guest Dr-Foo

Okay, I'm pretty excited. I now have QOTS. I'm going to print out the POM and read through it. I did some playing around in the cockpit and noticed that when running the mouse over the speed knob or vs thumbwheel, I get the hand and then horizontal double-headed arrows on either side. When clicking to change speed or vs read-outs, I only seem to be able to decrease the values, not increase them. I suppose the manual will tell me how to do this properly, but is this a problem I've encountered so far?Noticed that when FS9's kneeboard is opened in QOTS or in FS9 and the slide bar is moved up or down, I get a CTD. Does FS9 have patches to fix bugs since release? (where do I find these?)Already looking to get the new Active Sky. Still recommended? And either FSNavigator or FSBuild, but where do I find these? and can real flight plans be entered? (e.g., fp's I find at avsim's fp forum).Thanks for any help or direction people can point me to.Cheers,Dr-Foo

Guest Dr-Foo

Well, it figures. I found that detail out about 10min after posting.I can only imagine what "RTFM" means. All in good humor I hope. I wouldn't want to be made to feel silly for asking what some would think is a "dumb" question. I have lots of questions and sometimes I don't always find answers by searching the forum (which is so full of side-bar conversations), so I have to ask (and will continue to ask) the question that many seasoned QOTS users may already know and hopefully can help me with. Hope that's tolerable, at least until I get to the point of mastery with PMDG's awesome 744 :D Then I can help the next newbie and comes along! LOL!Now I'm off to read in the manual how I can load a flight plan into the FMC (saw a folder full of flight plans in PMDG's root folder).Cheers,Dr-Foo