Sign in to follow this  
Olympic260

No VOR needles

I have installed the final Update, the one that remove the server option from the menu and fixes the NDB needle.But I have no VOR needles now. Currently en route from HECA to EGLL, see the pic belowhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/134732.jpgThe left VOR is set to DBA a VOR now at 7 o clock. The Right one i set at SIT at 1o clockBoth VOR are giving distance readings but no Bearing at all. On the other hand the ADF needles are working fine. Anyone else have seen this? The Avionics switch is ON in case anyone is wondering :)Any ideas?Chris

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Some more tests.Parked at LGAV. Tryied NAV1 115.00 KEA. This Vor is identified and the VOR needle shows.Put 114.40 ATV I have Dme reading but the VOR is not Identified and no reading at the instrumnets.109.60 SAT Which is at the beging of rnw 03L is identified and all OK, used 117.50 SPA which is at the start of rnw 03R and nothing only DME nothing else.I tested with the NG and everything works OK...Any suggestions?Chris

Chris Makris

Guest BAW1085

I too have this problem ! You are not alone. I will be uninstalling this update as soon as I land !David Miles

Hi,Got the same problem (version 1.1)! I can

Edmundo Azevedo

Gents,I think we are facing different problems here. There are different kinds of VORs and DMEs. Some VORs have DME as well these will show you distance and bearing. Some VORs will not have DMEs. These will show a bearing but no distance. And finally you have DMEs without any VORs. This last type will show distance but no bearing.Another thing to take into account is that nav aids has a horizon and a maximum transmitting distance. Enroute nav aids usually has a long range and can be seen for hundreds of nm but they usually can't be picked up when you are on the ground. For terminal nav aids the reverse usually applies. You can tune them on the ground but they have a limited range. The third thing to keep in mind is that while using the ND ARC you will only see the VOR needles if the nav aids are within the front arc or rear arc. The arc angles are 45

Mats,Many thanks for your comprehensive explanation. I am aware of what you say but I am puzzled because I made some tests with different results. With default Cessna, B737, LDS B767 I can see bearing and distance to different VOR/DME. Yet for the same stations with the Queen there are certain VOR/DME where I can only see the distance when for the other aircraft I could see both distance and bearing. Is the Queen using different database that could explain these discrepancies? Best regardsEdmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

Edmundo,I think the Queen is using both the NavData AIRAC as well as the FS internal nav aid database. That could maybe explain the discrepancies you see between different aircraft types. And to be honest I think the nav aid detection algorithms has been refinded in the Queen compared to the default aircraft or even the PMDG NG. Can't answer for the accuracy of the LDS 767 though.Cheers,

Ok,After 5 hours experimenting with FS I have found a solution,Try first loading any PMDG 737NG you have and after that select the 744. In my machine this solves the problem and the VOR are working fine. Anyone elese that has this problem try it and see if it worksChris

Chris Makris

Hi Per,Thanks for your input. I repeated the situation you described - at LGAV with VOR

Edmundo Azevedo

Guest BAW1085

Same problem happens at EGLL ! Try to see how many VOR DME's you can pick up without needles !! Just to make it crystal clear....A VOR always has a to from feature ie it should always have a needle ! It is only the DME feature that is optional.Sorry to say but this patch has been a complete failure for me.David Miles

Guest BAW1085

Ok I did some more testing on this, I can get every VOR to tune with direction needle when offline ! But as soon as I go online I loose the needles.Incidently I solved my CTD problems but am still left with this annoying anomaly.David Miles

Hi,Could someone at PMDG support kindly check this issue (IF it is an issue...)?BestEdmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

So, if this happens "when you go online", it's hardly the fault of the 747, now is it? :-)Users are reporting issues with FSInn, when the localization is not U.S. - can you check that you're not using FSInn?

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest BAW1085

Hi Lefteris thanks for the replyWell your logic is flawless, apart from the fact it worked fine before the update. Pity it's not 100% compatible with FSinn...David Miles