Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

PMDG 747 and constant CTD

Hello,I don't see any other possibility than the PMDG 747-400 causing my CTD

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Mike,Exactly when is the CTD occuring? Are you encountering a CTD while loading the aircraft or at some point during the flight? Are you getting any out of memory errors when this occurs? Are you seeing a CTD or is the computer actually rebooting when the crash occurs?RegardsPaul Gollnick :-cool Technical Operations/Customer Operational SupportPrecision Manuals Development Groupwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/devteam.jpg

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Hi Paul,The time varies. However, so far it has always happend during cruise.I do not get any out of memory messages, as a matter of fact, I do not get any messages at all.FS9 is the only thing that stops, FS9 just ends and I end up on my desktop. There is no reboot. Computer Temp is 40c, so there should be no temp problem.Thanks for the help Paul

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Mike,Drop me a note at support @ precisionmanuals.com and I will send you some additional info.RegardsPaul Gollnick :-cool Technical Operations/Customer Operational SupportPrecision Manuals Development Groupwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/devteam.jpg

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Hi Paul,Message sent, thanks for the help.Mike

Guest Callmecapt

I used to have this happen to me fairly often as well.Sometimes I could fly a huge flight from Singapore to London without a CTD, other times, I start rolling on the runway and I get the CTD. I tried just about everything to fix it, contacting support for almost every add on I have (Which is a lot) and sometimes I thought it was fixed as I would have a long period of time of trouble free flying then it would happen again. I even installed another windows xp installation on a different partition and that seemed to work but nope. CTD happened again.This went on for about a year...until a month ago.;o)No more ctd's whatsoever.The culprit?A faulty RAM card.I took out 1 of the ram cards and voila! No CTD's for about a month and I have flown quite a few miles.And yes, I tried a process of elimination by putting the ram stick back in and seeing what happened. On the 1st start up of FS9, I got the CTD. Took the card out again, and no ctd.It could be the card or it could be the slot, I don't know, but I did have 1.5G of Ram and I now have 1G which is more than enough anyway.This may be your problem so try it out.Goran

Hi Mike,I have found that these things are normally borne out of one final tweak or adjustment putting a tad too much demand on your machine.Out of curoisity have you made any adjustments to your fs9.cfg file, in particular the following paramaters:TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTORTERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREATERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREATERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVELTERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXPTERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITYTERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAPTERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURESTERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUSTERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUSTERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELSTEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTThe last 4 in particular are reputed to be the key to optimising your scenery display to get the best clarity, and are popular 'tweaks'.However when I made adjustments to these values I started getting CTD's with the 744 installed but none without it. Plus I don't think the adjustments improved the scenery, but that's another matter!To cut a long story short, I remove the changes I had made to the above lines, and just like that, all my CTD worries went away.I figure that the increased memory demands of the 'tweaks' combined with the high demands of the 744 pushed my system over the edge.Even if you're not confident that the above is the cause, it's easy to check for sure. Rename your fs9.cfg file to something like OLDfs9.cfgOLD. Run FS, let it recreate the CFG file and see if the CTD goes away. If it doesn't, just delete the new fs9.cfg and 'unrename' the original file and you're back where you started.Hope we can get you up and running, the 744 is a mighty fun aircraft!Chrs

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I just got one myself...CTD right to desktop without any error msg's showing up. Bang..just staring at the desktop. Only happens with the PMDG 744. I was flying off the New Jersey coast on a 9.75hr flight. I was just over 8.5hrs into it and wham. I personally think it is related somehow to the navdata in the FMC. When you hit a waypoint and the FMC commands the next one in line, if for some reason it don't like it..bang...FS is gone. I used to get this same thing on a flight from anywhere in Europe to LAX...same point each time...I fly a different route into LAX and no problem. It seems to always be near the end of the flight but I never get any out of memory errors and my cpu temp is nice and constant at 48-49C degrees. My computer never reboots either and the other programs running (AS6 and Track IR) continue running with no problems.I think the FMC is very finicky and there is something in there that causes this to happen. Everytime I get these, its never anywhere close to any installed scenery so AFCAD file cannot be the cause and I use the same landclass file (FS Genesis) for the whole of the US and don't get this CTD with other addons flying over the same spot. The only thing I can think of is the navdata in the FMC. It's wierd, the only time I get these types of CTD's is when flying the 744 PMDG bird. Sometimes I can take her on a 12hr flight..no problems..other times..I get the above. I was just thinking earlier as well that I was going for a long time with no CTD's! I jinxed myself.Paul,If you have something that can detect what is going on, I can redo the route and send it to you..PM me if you want. My email is efisher2 (at) cfl.rr.com

Eric