Sign in to follow this  
Guest Keyno-onyeK

FMC questions for the 737NGs

Guest Keyno-onyeK

HiIve read some great tutorials for the PMDG 737NGs concerning the FMC. In the reserve fuel put 6 in, and 80 in the cost index.Ok id like to know how and what to put in. I dont know how he the author figured these calcs. Cost index?And another question is this. Have you ever flown into KPDX using a STAR, like MOXEE SIX, and when you get clearance to 28 or 10 at VANTZ, how does the FMC fly this? Because theres seem to be a ending and starting point in the route after leaving VANTZ for the Vectors/WPs for the APPs.Oh, one more question just popped in my head..In the FMC for Arrival at some airports, i see ILS25, ILS7, ect.. what is a GRN25 or a GRN7?Sorry, haha, one more just landed. What is a RNAV STAR?Thanks, love learning all about the PMDG and the FMC.

>Hi>Ive read some great tutorials for the PMDG 737NGs concerning>the FMC. In the reserve fuel put 6 in, and 80 in the cost>index.>Ok id like to know how and what to put in. I dont know how he>the author figured these calcs. Cost index?These numbers are generated by the dispatcher in real life. 80 is just sort of a standard value.>And another question is this. Have you ever flown into KPDX>using a STAR, like MOXEE SIX, and when you get clearance to 28>or 10 at VANTZ, how does the FMC fly this? Because theres seem>to be a ending and starting point in the route after leaving>VANTZ for the Vectors/WPs for the APPs.By this point the pilots would probably be flying the aircraft manually using HDG SEL and LVL CH on the MCP. The FMC isn't meant to provide total automation for the entire flight, especially in the terminal area when you're taking clearances from ATC.If you look at the chart for the MOXEE6 it actually says to proceed from VANTZ to OCITY, then if landing west, fly heading 100 and expect vectors or if landing east fly heading 280 and expect vectors. Barring any ATC instructions prior to this point, that's exactly what you should do. Disengage LNAV passing OCITY and use HDG SEL.>Oh, one more question just popped in my head..In the FMC for>Arrival at some airports, i see ILS25, ILS7, ect.. what is a>GRN25 or a GRN7?GPS/RNAV I believe.>Sorry, haha, one more just landed. What is a RNAV STAR?>Thanks, love learning all about the PMDG and the FMC.RNAV in general means "area navigation" and it basically refers to methods of navigating that don't involve beacon signals from a VOR, ILS , NDB etc... For all intents and purposes you can think of it as an FMC approach - the computer is your sole source of position info.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Cost Index:It's just a number (factor) used to adjust the performance of the aircraft in most phases of flight. The higher the cost index, the faster the plane will climb and cruise, and the more fuel you will burn.80 would be very high for a 737-700. Real world SWA uses 33, which is down from 36 because of high fuel costs. Airtran uses 30 most of the time with 35 authorized by dispatch only in certain situations.Keep in mind that if you have the -600/=700 PMDG without the -800/-900 addon then cost index is not modeled and it doesn't matter what number you put in you'll get the same performance. It's only after the -800/=900 addon is installed tha cost index is actually used by the FMC for performance calculations.

Dave Paige

"" of navigating that don't involve beacon signals from a VOR, ILS , NDB etc... ""Ryan: The first RNAV actually used either VORTAC/VOR-DME or LORAN signals and calculated waypoints based on bearing/distance from the navaid or LORAN chain. It has been superceded by the much better Navstar GPS system. The original definition was Random Area Navigation but the desk flyers at the FAA were uncomfortable with that concept and started calling it Area Navigation.Current RNAV SIDSTARS are RNP based... which uses VOR/DME and GPS together.. there are both RNAV (GPS) and RNAV (RNP) approaches, the latter also still uses VOR/DME and GPS to resolve position and tracks.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Keyno-onyeK

Thanks Ryan and Dave..still have this question unanswered. After choosing the PMDG 737-700, and then setting fuel, lets say 50% in each tank, and writing down the total weight,...What do i put in the reserve in INIT in FMC?So total weight,crew-pax-cargo-fuel-aircraft=137.7, cant figure out how to calculate the reserve.Thanks for the info already, SWA a plus, since i fly them alot.Does anybody really change the climb settings? I guess maybe some do for like some airports in South America(mountains)or at KSNA 19R for noise abatement.Again thanks for your time.

I always use the fuel planner that came with 737NG.. it is a file named FuelPlanner737NG.exe found in your PMDG folder.The fuel planner allows you to set a reserve... I just use 3000 lbs for convience; however, there is a lot of determined planning that goes into how much you really use (besides distance to alternate and expected holding you also consider winds, weather, traffic and company policies).

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Keyno-onyeK

Ahh, i looked and i dont see anything called Fuelplanner.