Sign in to follow this  
Guest clivedrake

Manual flight of 747

Guest clivedrake

I am trying to learn to fly the 747. In particular I am trying to set the Nav Radios for a manual ILS landing. I have positioned the aircraft at Manston (EGMH) told the FMC I am at EGMH and set NAV1 to DVR, NAV2 to DET and the ADF to 311.0. So far so good. When I take off I have clicked on the arc/compass rose button to show the compass rose expecting to see the needles showing where the beacons are but nothing is visible.How can I fly a simple circuit and use the ILS?Thank you

The English call it a circuit and the Americans a local pattern.You don't need the radios at all, just climb runway heading to 1000 agl, turn left 90, climb to and level off at 2000 agl and keep the speed under control. Turn 90 left again and now fly the downwind until passing the FAF (final approach fix for the ILS, as seen on the ND), now you get busy. Fly the base and turn to final setting up for the approach and there you go...There's some fine tutorials around... I recommend them.You need to sign name in this forum please.. and you didn't mention FS9 or FSX.

Dan Downs KCRP

To see the needles pointing to the beacons, you need to move the two switches on the EFIS panel (either side of the ND Mode and Range buttons) to either VOR1/2 or ADF1/2. You'll then get green (for VOR) needles pointing to the beacons, or blue (for NDB).For the ILS, you have to go back into the FMC, NAV RAD page, and enter the ILS freq and course on the bottom (where it says ILS). Enter in the format xxx.xx/yyy, where x is freq and y is course (ie 109.50/275).

Guest clivedrake

Thank you very much for your help. I am OK flying a circuit (local pattern) it's the radios I need. Once I can use them properly I will be trying to use the Rwy 13 IGS at Kai Tak (Hong Kong) - that is a real challenge.Sorry about not signing, I will know for next time. I am using FS9, I am not convinced FSX is worth the hassle of losing all my FS9 add-ons e.g. Hong Kong.I appreciate your help,Clive Drake

Guest clivedrake

Dear Phil,Many thanks for this, I have printed it and will be using it shortly. I will let you know what happens.Best Regards,Clive Drake FS2004 user.

Clive:I enjoy raw data manual flights along this route as well- TH CH Golf SL IGS13 to missed TH/TD..... and again and again!The 9Dragons stuff is superb, and we are lucky to have at least one of them in our midst- our own Steve Bell (G-CIVA). The sensation of speed and bank angle is so much more pronounced with the added visual cues- just lovely!Leaving the ND to display the VORs and using the RMI (wow, still useful after all) to display the NDBs seems to work best for me.A change up is to then fly the profile entirely in the FMC, using speed intervene and LNAV VNAV to the IGS intercept and auto-pilot to the OM- superb! Careful insertions of PBD waypoints and speed intervene is a thing of the past! Now we're typing 50 words a minute ;)!Fully automatic to the OM or fully manual to touchdown- either way, our fat girl is a ton (ok, maybe tons) of fun! Enjoy!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper