Sign in to follow this  
CPA156

Enroute Winds in MD-11 FMC?

Harry,What you say is fine if you have WPT WIND DATA from an external programme, giving you an accurate fuel burn figure...if you don't & end up with unfavourable winds you will either end up hauling extra gas or worse still be short or even out of gas at landing.An interesting alternative is to interrogate AS6.5 flight plan utility...this will give you spot winds at each WPT on the rte, starting with a stil air burn calculation you can the 'fine tune' you final fuel figure with some success...it takes approximately 10-20 mins (RTE length dependant)but produces a high degree of accuracy. Its a little like getting ACARS to squirt the WPT WIND DATA into the FMC.For example I have just flown the BAW9/BAW10 round trip EGLL-VTBS-YSSY-VTBS-EGLL for BAV & using this method managed to arrive with 12t of gas remaining (except YSSY where I planned on 15t)at each airfield.Just my 50 cents worth.Best RegardsSteve Bell

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Steve,My hint to Patrick was based on the original request, how to enter enroute forecast winds, to obtain better ETA and fuel predictions once enroute. The preflight planning in this case was already done, hence his reference to a real world company flightplan.Thanks for your remarks, how to get reliable fuel figures when still in the dispatch planning fase.Regards,Harry

Harry,Fair enough, I must admit I missed that part of the original post. Having said that I am weary of using R/W Flight Plans for fuel planning purposes as the PMDG Flight Model does burn a little more gas than the R/W bird.Best RegardsSteve Bell

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'