Sign in to follow this  
Guest toddalexanderdale

747-400X goes nuts in the air

Guest toddalexanderdale

Please help - I am going crazy. Just reinstalled all my software - ridding all files related to FSX - Replacing with all new installed software. After takeoff - autopilot on programmed flight though MCP, the plane goes nuts! Altitude jumps up 1,000

This forum asks that we all use our real names..Having fun yet? When she is light she does go off like a rocket, but still controllable with some experience. Do you have the FMS programmed and are you using LNAV/VNAV and autothrottle? She can be handflown, but use all the tools available.Screenshots really help us help you.Gotta read the books on this one, she's no toy.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest toddalexanderdale

Thanks for reply - I have over two years flying this plane (747-400 FS9). About 3 months with the 747-400X. As to your questions. I know this is not me, I read almost the entire manual, and use all the onboard equipment - to put it to the point. Know this ship inside out. But this is something new. It acts like is you place your altitude at 90,000 feet

I have spent a lot of time with the FS9 version, however, I have flown the FSX version a few times. There is a pronounced difference in the automatic flight behavior. The FSX version is much less gentle in flight path management- this is however a fix that appears to be forthcoming in the update.As far as climb management at lighter weights- its a full time job! Be sure to select proper climb derates, and even then be prepared to go into SPD VS. She flies much better heavy- couple that with the harsh FSX version behavior and you have a completely different flight experience.There are several fixes this update promises- the LNAV VNAV tuning will be one of the most obvious. Even the autopilot behavior while tracking a glide slope (in FSX) could use considerably more finesse- that too is supposed to be tweaked.Patience- your salvation commeth ;)Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP2 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest toddalexanderdale

Carl - Thank you for bringing me down the earth, and giving me the insight I needed to know -it was not my install job or my skills. You are right... the lighter fuel loads or part of the issue, and hopefully in the next week???? we will have our update. Now only if they would bring out the software for GO-fights' MCP Pro too! I would be a happy man. Though X over 9 is nicer on the eyes, it is still I feel too "tweeky" for someone who wishes just to fly the plane!Thanks again.Todd Dale >I have spent a lot of time with the FS9 version, however, I>have flown the FSX version a few times. There is a pronounced>difference in the automatic flight behavior. The FSX version>is much less gentle in flight path management- this is however>a fix that appears to be forthcoming in the update.>>As far as climb management at lighter weights- its a full time>job! Be sure to select proper climb derates, and even then be>prepared to go into SPD VS. She flies much better heavy->couple that with the harsh FSX version behavior and you have a>completely different flight experience.>>There are several fixes this update promises- the LNAV VNAV>tuning will be one of the most obvious. Even the autopilot>behavior while tracking a glide slope (in FSX) could use>considerably more finesse- that too is supposed to be>tweaked.>>Patience- your salvation commeth ;)>Best->Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225>http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png>| XP Pro SP2 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE |>Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA>8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2>| 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products>Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Guest D17S

The airplane really is a rocketship with a light load. So first, put a little weight on. The takeoff sequence happens far too fast to see all the neat stuff going on, so slow things down. Run the sim at 1/2 speed for the TO sequence. Get the FMC all setup, then set Acceleration Altitude to 8000 feet (TO page flaps line "10/8000"). Just get it up out of the way for now. Do not arm Lnav or Vnav for now. This is a test flight. Engage the Autothrottle normally for TO and rotate normally, then start tapping the AP engage button. Let the AP have the airplane just as soon as possible. Then sit back and watch the action. Put your hands in your lap. Initially, see what V2 the AP actually ends up using. Just sit there and watch. Especially if you are very light, it will likely Not be even Near what you saw on the FMC's TO page. Note, your MCP airspeed setting does Not set V2. This is only a reminder setting that positions the airspeed carot. This new, recalculated V2 will only be visible as the speed the airplane actually settles into. Don't touch the flaps or gear. Just let the airplane stabilize at this (likely recalculated) V2. Is it different? Why? Got that number jotted down? Good. Leave the airplane stabilized at this V2. Now engage Vnav (well before 8000 ft). What happened to your magenta speed target above the speed tape? Make a note. Now get the gear up and flaps to 5. Now that you have Vnav engaged, the Thrust Reduction and Acceleration Altitude events are armed. Thrust Reduction is preset for Flaps 5 so that action will reduce thrust to CLB power. The Acceleration Altitude event will be next at 8000 feet. Again, watch the airspeed target and how the airplane responds. What happened. Why. This just goes too fast at full speed. Slow-mo is the only way to really see it. It is Very likely your install is fine. It appears to me PMDG's FSX vertical TO sequence works just fine. That 744 is just a lot of airplane.If it's still going too fast, find a long runway and TO at MTOW. That'll settle things down quite a bit. Actually, this TO sequence is much easier to see with a heavier airplane.

Guest toddalexanderdale

Thanks very so much - your wisdom and info on this topic cannot be found anywhere - but here. Your help has saved me hours of time and disappointment. Thanks!Todd Dale

Interesting answers for me.My 747x goes nuts in the air and and loses control when I switch on the flouroscent tube I have for reading my night flying notes. Well the sound on the computer is also gone.....So I thought I had a good power supply to my computer. But as I have been told when such a tube is swiched on it pulls for the swiching on much power. Off cours the lamp and computer share the same plug:-abduct YoursJens MichlasFrederiksberg - DKWaiting - speechless for the the MD-11 :-)

Jens Michlas
Frederiksberg, Copenhagen
Denmark

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/pages/down/docs.htmlThe Type Rating Course is worth it's weight in gold- check it out.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP2 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest toddalexanderdale

Well- I am at a loss. When reaching a opt alt. Are anything close to it. My air speed goes from 290 to 400 in 1 second get a aircraft overstressed in s secounds.that's Impossible. Alt from 290 to 320 in seconds. Could someone post their settings. Congfig file? Could this be a Navsim online flying issue? Any idea would be most helpful. Should have stuck with FS9. In fact going back to it till they Finally post the service pack for 747-400X and fix these bad bugsTodd Dale

Guest toddalexanderdale

- met to say Vatsim - not Navsim

Guest toddalexanderdale

Email to MPDG I have never been so frustrated Paul. My plane is the 747X been flying your FS9 for a long time with no issues. But my God - this 747x is really a pain in the ####. Let start with the fist issue. If you save a flight, and make it your default flight. When you re-start FSX is crashes. No box saying fatal error- the program just shuts down. (though I get my share of those fatal errors with 747X. Plus the lovely "serious error" sometimes when I click the overhead box - the hour glass comes up for 1 min. And I now - am screwed. The program shuts down saying serious error- with the box you can leaved checked saying (restart FSX). But the one that is crazy is the air speed and ALT goes nuts -while L and V Nav is engaged and on a LIS flight plan- all nicely put into the MCP -I get in one second -air speeds going from 290 to 400 - ALT,s from 300 down to 270 in seconds. Aircraft over stressed crashes happen in less then 3 seconds. All this is impossible. - I have had it. My pc is top notch- running XP, and I spend more time dicking around with FSX and your 400 then flying. About 90 to 10. My wife is starting to think I am nuts the time I have put into this.I just reiinstalled all my software. That was fun. Took up my SaturdayI need your help. As to my software add-ons1 ultimate terrain X (usa, can, europe)2 FSfinn for Vatsim3 Hi fi's AS X and X graphics4 FS2 crew XThat's it for my add-ons Any word on the MCP pro interface for X? Not like I would have a chance to use it-too busy trying to fixing and not flying.Thanks Todd

Guest D17S

A PMDG service pack is not going to fix that. FSUIPC has winds smoothing. There's a winds direction rate-of-change setting in FSX too. This is an environmental issue. The airplane's fine. Sounds like you got to altitude this time. Did you get the TO sequence to go a bit better?

Guest toddalexanderdale

Take off is fine. Only happeneds while on cruise or the later stages of climb. Sure acts like weather- like flying into a hurricaneThansTodd dale

Todd: While not required, the FSUIPC is necessary to calm the winds, pressure and temperature swings that microslop built into their WX machine for FS9 and it's the same for FSX... the only difference is that they made it harder to fix because they put a piece of middleware (simconnect) that is still not working as intended. Pete Dowson is an angel for finally solving the problem and deserves our hurrahs for it. Get FSUIPC registered version and use it.

Dan Downs KCRP