Sign in to follow this  

Rudder Problem Fixed! V1 cut Pictures...

Hi,After receiving the update, it bothered me that the rudder would flutter with the Yaw Dampers OFF airborne. Turning the Yaw Dampers ON would fixed the problem but killed the rudder in the air. I found the a rudder_effectiveness=24.0 fixes the problem. Following are three screenshots of a V1 cut evolution. Screenshot#1Aircraft has an engine 2 failure just past V1 (Actually ,I cut the fuel). Notice the rudder maintaining the aircraft on the centerline. This used to be impossible.Screenshot #2While maintaining the same rudder input, there is the rotation and gear up at positive rate. I am capable of maintaining heading with rudder control. On the climb out I switch to the rudder trim to keep heading control. Screenshot #3At the single engine flap retraction altitude: A/T OFF Flaps up on schedule, TRP to CON and give the aircraft back to the autopilot. I am now using the rudder trim to keep the same input I had with the pedals. With the rudder trimmed once past 220 knots the aircraft flies on one engine as if both were running.It works extremely well and the maneuver feels very similar to a real life simulator. I would like to know if anybody else out there has ever tried this maneuver (any real 767 pilots?) and if so, please try this and report if you can do it on your system. FSUIPC 2.83 (in case you wondered). Even thought it doesn't matter the takeoff was at KSDF, 39,100 lbs of fuel ZFW 245.000 lbs. The engine failure at V1 (I cut off the right engine fuel) at the first white bug. Remember to change your rudder_effectiveness! to 24.0. BTW crosswind landings are a breeze...Regards, Pedro

Hi Pedro!I have used a value of 22 up to now, I get 24 doesn't change that much.I tried a few V1 cuts at MTOW with flaps 5 and worked like a charm. Asked a 757 pilot how much trim would be needed on the 757 to maintain directional control at V2. He said approx. 5 units and said that it should be similar on the 767. Tried it and it worked!Slight yaw tendencies, so I guess 24 would be right on!(I was too lazy to experiment longer :-) )The only drawback to this setting is that the nosewheel aswell as the rudder on the visual model do not move a lot. I know, I know, you fly from the inside, not from the outsde :-)Oh well, aerodynamic stability has priority over a moving rudder!Greetings,Mark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

Hi Mark,So, the rudder doesn't move on your system? Then what is this...?That is interesting. On what aircraft? Regards, Pedro

Hi Pedro!Sometimes I feel like I am playing a hand of bridge with 3 cards left in my hand and asking .... what is trump?Please forgive me for the dumb questions but what update? and where is the elevator effectiveness setting? Thanks in advance...BobP :)

Hi BobPThere are no dumb questions, just dumb people for not asking them. rudder_effectiveness!!!!! the elevator_effectiveness is perfect![flight_tuning]cruise_lift_scalar=1.000pitch_stability=1.000roll_stability=1.000yaw_stability=1.000parasite_drag_scalar=1.000induced_drag_scalar=1.000elevator_effectiveness=1.000aileron_effectiveness=1.000rudder_effectiveness=24.0If you don't have this section in the aircraft.cffg file then add it and fly. If you have never done a V1 cut, consult a "v1 cut profile" from anywhere (preferably for a 767, Mike Ray's book has a terrific one). Hope this helps, Pedro

Srange!Do you have the yaw damper activated in that picture?Whenever I activate it, in whatever aircraft, the rudder hardly moves at all. It should not be called yaw damper but yaw killer :-)The rudder moves fine as long as the yaw damper is off (apart from the fluttering)

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

Hey Mark,That's important. I thought that's the way it used to be. Did you change your rudder effectiveness to 24. If not do it and try it again. That's what I want to find out. Both my Yaw Dampers are ON!. Pedro

Pedro, is that the posky V2 or V3? you are using feelreal textures so I 'assume' you are using v2 right? I'm asking because I would like to use the feelreal textures with v3 but I think is not possible

Hi,This is what I had for FS2000 so I guess it is V2. I wasn't aware of a newer version... Pedro

Guest ilh

Rudder works visually because that is a POSKY v2 not v3!Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Hi Lee,My interest was to get the rudder to work for control (I don't care if it visually moves at all...) Pedro

Hiya Pedro!Ok that clears up the confusion. I'm also using Posky V3 for the outside model. So I guess one has the following option:Posky V3, with flexing wings and modelled reversers, but without rudder movement and nose gear steeringORPosky V2, without all the new gimmicks, but with rudder movement. I guess I'll stick to my current setup. Most important are the aerodynamics so I really don't care that much.Greetings,Mark

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

Guest ilh

I completely understand!I tried this last evening and did such a V1 cut. It did work pretty well, although I only have a MS joystick with twist rudder so rudder precision is terrible. However, I was able to stay on the runway after the cut and get safely airborn. You are right that rudder trim works quite nicely and lets you fly around pretty much as if you didn't lose an engine. Is it really this easy in real life?I was able to climb up to 10,000 on a single engine at 1-2000fpm at GW 285,000lbs. Impressive.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

With Rudder-effect at 24.0 - did you test with Yaw Dampers on or off?I have been using Rudder-effect 8.0 and noticed improved controlablity with Yaw Dampers on.What was your set up?Rob.

Hi RobYDs ON rudder effectiveness 24.0Pedro