Updated 01/22/2006 - DCIs ASv6 compatible with FS2002? No, it is not. ASv6 is compatible with FS2004 ONLY, due to the new station-based structure of the ASv6 weather engine.Can I run ASv6 on WideFS? Yes, ASv6 can run via WideFS on another computer other than your FS computer. The ActiveRadar module, however, must run on the FS system. An ActiveRadar Connector program is made available to point ActiveRadar to your second (ASv6) computer and properly read ASv6 weather data.Does ASv6 effect performance? ASv6 by itself does not generally cause a noticeable performance hit. Certain unavoidable hits, such as doing actual FS weather writes, are intelligently handled via efficient write processes and update suppression to keep stutters away during critical phases of your flight. ActiveRadar, the internal FS module, CAN cause a performance hit depending on your selected radar detail options. ActiveRadar has many detail and performance-related options that can help you fine-tune the best balance of performance and radar resolution for your system. Also note that the more clouds being displayed, the lower performance will be, so we highly recommend using our included

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

The following is a list of settings that provide the most realistic visuals using ASv6 and FS2004.Before I begin, some disclaimers:1. Realistic is in the eye of the beholder. What is realistic for one may not be realistic for another.2. Performance may vary from one computer to another, even with the same hardware. I will try to comment on things as necessary.OK, on to the list!1. Make sure all your hardware drivers are up to date. This includes video card, motherboard drivers, DirectX, and sound card drivers.2. In FSUIPC make sure you are using Default Settings and Weather Settings Off.3. In FS2004: Sight Distance set to 60. This setting does not affect the visibility so don’t try to control visibility with it. Cloud Draw Distance set to 30. Now, this is one that can vary. Some like clouds drawn in the distance, so increase it! Some don’t like the flickering, as clouds are redrawn from low detail to high detail. This happens around 30 miles. Some machines cannot handle more than 30 miles. 3D Clouds set to 100% Cloud Coverage set to Maximum Lock your framerate at an acceptable level; do not run at Unlimited. Acceptable is anywhere from 20 to 30. Yes, your mileage may vary with this one. Please do not debate stuff about the FPS of movies, television sets, video games, the refresh rate of your display, or other PC games. It is not worth the time! Dynamic Weather: None4. In Active Sky Graphics: Choose a resolution that your computer can handle and still looks good for you. For high-end machines 256 or 512. For low-end machines 64 or 128. Do not over-rate your computer here! A machine 3+ years or older that has not been upgraded IS NOT a high-end machine. Maybe at the time of purchase it was, but it isn’t any more! DXT clouds can help performance, but detail is slightly lost. Render to Texture must be turned On in FS2004 for this box to become active. Also, make sure that you do not have multiple Display Driver sections in your FS9.cfg file. Make sure to click on the Save Changes button.5. On to the ASv6 Options: Online Updates On Use Update Suppression On Use Local Range Suppression On Visibility Smoothing On Enforce Visibility Limits On Now we have 2 Options next that some users feel are Realistic and some that don’t: Fog Layer Generation and Depict FS9 Haze Layer. I don’t think so, so I turn them Off. Minimum Visibility set to zero Maximum Visibility set to 59, 50 or 29. Let’s look at each one. But before we do: What about 60 or more? Well, that produces the FS2004 condition of seeing forever, and I don’t think that is realistic so I don’t ever consider that value. 59 just cuts into this forever condition and gives a far away haze look. 50 brings this a bit closer and can blend the sky and horizon interface. Sometimes I use 50, but mostly I use 59. Now, 29 gives a very hazy look and hides the clouds as FS04 draws them for the first time. At higher altitudes, I think this is too low. Remember to restart both ASV6 and FS04 when adjusting this value. Under Winds and Turbulence I’ll let users make their own selections. Overcast Enhancement On Force Thunderstorms with CB On Extend Thunderstorm Layers On Add Rain With TS Reports On Under Graphics: Auto-Submit checked On Under Themes: Wx-Influenced in both boxes. If you don’t use flight plans, you are better off putting All Random in both boxes.Well, I think that is it. I hope that you will take these ideas and give them a try.

Hi, try this settings in the FS9.cfgCLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=12 CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=12 (Clouds will get enhanced to the horizon, frame impact possible due to the larger draw radius of the clouds) The default values are 8. Don't touch the sliders in the settings menu, or they will get overwritten by the default ones. This settings gave me a complete overcast conditions, the are no holes anymore. This has really changed the FS9 experience.You can use this settings together with active sky.Jan-Paul

Thanks for sharing this! Will pin this for a while..Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thank you Jan-Paul and Damian :( SpittyClouds.jpgRegards,Gerhard

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Just a thought, if you don't touch the sliders under the settings menu, when you exit FS9 won't the FS9.cfg file write to the last known setting? In this case "8".Regards,Tom

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |

Tried this tip and FS9 crashed, 'error in module weather.dll'Had numerous attempts to cure the crash but it was only after I set cloud draw distance to 70nm in FS scenery settings.I am running a high level of AA & AF so may be the full cloud cover was just too much for my rig to handle.