Sign in to follow this  
Guest trampus1

OVERCAST CONDITIONS STILL NOT FIXED

Guest trampus1

My main concern prior to the SP1 fix was that the overcast conditions was poor. I had hoped the SP1 would have fixed this.I installed the SP1 and the problem is still there. When at ground level the conditions are perfect according to the weather data such as overcast/rain etc. Yet when I take off and fly above the clouds it suddenly becomes as if I am flying in fair weather conditions. I can see the ground almost everywhere. I say again I had hoped this SP1 would have fixed this. Is there something I am doing wrong? Is there any notes about any settings I can use from the update and where can I find those notes?trampus1

Guest trampus1

The station I used was egub near my home. It has been overcast all day with moderate to heavy rain.Everything is fine from the ground but as I said when you fly above the clouds the clouds the weather goes from overcast to broken or even scattered. You can see the ground almost every where. Yes I have weather settings in FSX to full.What are the recommended setting in FSX?trampus1

Guest trampus1

What are the recommended setting in ASX in mean?

Guest acehog

Still not fixed for me either. I set up for being in the soup from PJON to PHUP and most of my flight is VFR. All settings per instructions. Waited patiently for SP1. I am disappointed. The stock weather settings depict IFR solid better than ASX.Alan

Guest abulaafia

Jim, the O/P is right, problem still persists, world-wide. From a few thousand feet you can see the ground everywhere, even when all stations around report OVC, and clouds set to MAX. ==Marten:Weber==P-D920 oc3.64MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"Need AI? Get AI: www.world-of-ai.com

Probably the biggest item I was looking for when I scanned the fixes in SP1 was the OVC fix. I was extremely disappointed when I saw no mention of this flaw when it has been brought up extensively/repeatedly in the past and even commented on by the designers that they had it in their crosshairs to fix. I (and am willing to bet, we all do) still have the fair weather bubble that follows us everywhere no matter how bad the weather is. Forward visibility generally matches up with current conditions, but you never.....ever penetrate weather and "go in the goo and come out on top" and see a solid bed of clouds underneath your aircraft. All the snapshots you see are side shots of weather, you never see a top down view above a solid layer of clouds. The shear lack of poor weather depiction across a large area is not something this program does at all. It shows pockets of poor visibility simulating bad/low weather and 20 miles away you have scattered skies when the predominate weather is 700 overcast. Question: Is there a way that you can filter out any "AUTO" observations? I have always thought that the AUTO observations at many locations are very poor weather inputs because they lack ceiling info many times and they are just poor spikes inserted into depiction model.Steve

Hi all,The OVC Fix.. interesting. I am not aware of any OVC issue that we promissed to fix, but if so, I deeply apologize for the misunderstanding.First of all, there is a general misconception that overcast and low visibility are the same thing. They are not. When low visibilities are rendered it may appear that there is an overcast layer above but this is not always the case. When you fly above a low visibility layer it is indeed true that FSX lets you see the ground when in real life you wouldn't be able to. This is an inherent FS "feature".There are many conflicting comments made in this thread and it is difficult to decipher what particular issues/behavior is being referenced. It appears to be different things for each.The mention of FSX default depicting IFR better than ASX, I don't understand this comment, since the data is more accurate with ASX and we do many things to refine the depiction. While many here are claiming that there is never any overcast depicted, there are dozens and dozens of shots available on our website, in the screenshots forum here, on this forum, and other forums around the internet showing clearly how ASX can render nice looking full overcast when looking from above. If there is indeed a problem, which is certainly a possibility, we want to solve it, but we need more helpful information. Clearly it is incorrect to say that for everyone there is never anything but clear/fair weather depicted with ASX. That is completely untrue. Just take a look at the screenshots forum on AVSIM over the past couple months for proof. If there are issues preventing certain users from experiencing desired results then we want to solve this, so please help us with detailed information on how to demonstrate/reproduce such issues and we will indeed investigate in detail.As to AUTO stations, more and more of these stations are starting to report accurate cloud information so we can't just blanket ignore them. Instead, when an AUTO (or ANY) station does not report cloud information, we use the "No Data Cloud Depiction" slider and some random and conditional influences (including other nearby data) to generate cloud layers appropriately.In conclusion, there are obviously some issues here that need resolving and we want to do just that, so please help provide us with some more information including screenshots, flightplans, weather date/times, etc, so we can try to find out what is wrong.Thanks in advance and I apologize again for any misunderstanding.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Here is one of the earlier strings:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...33358&mode=fullI have also reviewed the pictures in the screenshot forum and came up with no pictures that were top down views showing solid clouds. There was one sideshot that showed all clouds but it had a slight up angle view to it and there were quite a few shots that showed alot of clouds but if you really look close all these shots show the ground. I even made a challenge a few weeks before the product was released for any beta tester to post a top down view that did not show any ground and no one was able to provide that. I understand there is a difference in visibility and sky conditions that is why I made the comment that "the visibility generally matches up with the observation". Can you prove me wrong by posting a video of your aircraft going in the weather, breaking out on top and transition to a top down view and see a solid bed of clouds? That will prove that alot of us have video card issues.I am not trying to be confrontational, but the denial that this problem exists is not a starting position. Please accept my challenge and give us video and show us what we are missing then we can get down to troubleshooting this.

Guest trampus1

Damian Clark quotes"The OVC Fix.. interesting. I am not aware of any OVC issue that we promissed to fix, but if so, I deeply apologize for the misunderstanding."I accept your apology but many times the error of OVC conditions has been noted several times on the forum and the answer has always be said that it was going to be fixed when SP1 was released.However, the problem still exists and its global at all weather stations. Not once have I flown over rainy OVC conditions and fail to see the ground, I have tested it many times. It spoils it for being realistic. I had hoped like others that this would have been a priority of fixes. I cannot understand why your testers have not spotted this obvious flaw. At ground level all looks fantastic when OVC but when you fly throught the clouds and above it almost changes immediately to scattered or broken clouds. So dissapointing to say the least. I live in England by the way and have many OVC days.I hope this can be fixed in the very near future.Apart from this obvious flaw everything else is fantastic.trampus1

>I am not trying to be confrontational, but the denial that>this problem exists is not a starting position. Please accept>my challenge and give us video and show us what we are missing>then we can get down to troubleshooting this.He didn't blanket deny it, he said give me more information and we can work out a solution.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Sigh.Actually you are partly correct, the general thinness of overcast in some situtations has indeed been noted, and time and time again we have stated that this is an FS issue and something that we continue to try and improve. We are not aware that we have stated that this is an ASX bug and that it would be fixed in SP1. At least this was certainly not intended, and if it was said then as mentioned, this was a misunderstanding. I have been looking at threads as well as the one mentioned above and neither states we have attributed this to an ASX bug and that it would be "fixed". Please search further as far back as FS2004 and AS2004 and you will find this is a common issue with FS rendering. We've managed to improve things significantly in many associated areas here but have not yet found the holy grail for all users. We continue to try.As to the user saying we are denying that an issue exists, that is not true. Please read again. And perhaps again. Complaints are fine, we appreciate all input, but if you really expect improvement we need helpful information. As always, we can't fix all FS's problems but we try... we think the majority of our users agree we've been successful in making the end weather depiction much richer, challenging and accurate than default. Of course there are situtations/conditions where this might not be the case, and when this happens we WILL indeed do everything we can to address this. For example, as some users state there is NO OVERCAST ever being rendered by FSX/ASX on their system, all these users need to do is provide some helpful information on how to reproduce this and/or show the behaviour on their system with a screenshot or two and we can begin investigation and hopefully subsequent product improvement. As of now we have some complaints here but no helpful information. Certainly none of the development or beta team have ever had a problem getting nice overcast to render. Hundreds of users have posted shots showing nice overcast including one here in this thread. Such problem is NOT wide-spread! The fact is, this is an isolated issue. Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest acehog

How better can it be explained? I set ASX to have my flight in the clouds, you know, all you see out the windows of the cockpit is CLOUD, no sky, no ground. I can do this with FSX weather settings. I can not do it with ASX for the flight I described above. Most of the flight ends up VFR. It seems to me that enough customers have posted about the problem. Are we are all just imagining it??