Sign in to follow this  
ahinterl

Download version of DC-3 for FS2004?

Since I absolutely don't trust our local mail (god knows how many packets I didn't receive in the last years), it would be nice to know that there will be a download version of the new DC-3?!Andreas

Guest Satchmo

I agree absolutely.I will definitely buy a copy of this release if a download version is available, but not if a CD version in the only distribution method.Here in the UK, since the Royal Mail decided to 'improve' services by cutting back on deliveries, and having different postmen almost every day, I've had nothing but problems with mail going missing or being posted to the wrong house...or being left outside the door for anyone to nick!Please, please, please, make a download option available just like you did when I purchased your excellent B-24 Breifing Time.CheersSatchmo

I understand your concerns, but there is not a DL version in the offing for the immediate future. The reasons are many, but all come back to the issue of competition with our own product. We do not, at this time, have the web resources at MAAM to handle the DL business ourselves, although we are hopeful that this will change in the months to come. So, that means we must go through a third-party. For third-party, read business that needs to make money. Guess where the money comes from? Straight out of the MAAM profits.We made roughly half the CD profit on each download, and the customer paid the same price, but did not get all the extras, icluding the videos, manuals, etc. Everyone who bought the download gave half of it to the vendor. Now maybe we can't expect every purchaser to care where his money goes, but we know an awful lot of you do. We care very much. The money we lose because of cusomers who will do it no other way is more than made up for by those who want the product anyway they can get it.As for the lost in the post, hijacked dog sleds, waylaid yak trains, the drug-sniffing dogs ate it CD's - I'll make you this promise. If your CD does not get there, I'll send you another at no charge. That is what I have always done. It's good customer service, and we pride ourselves on that.In the meantime, if anyone would like to donate the bandwidth and web expertise to host a download where all the money goes to the museum, I'll put together a DL package tomorrow..... well, after the WW 2 Weekend Show, anyway :-)Incidentally, pre-orders are currently at 375 and we want to thank everyone who has ordered. For those who have, don't be surprised if your credit card is not charged immediately. Things are in the normal state of pre-show turmoil at MAAM and we may not get around to taking your money until next week. However, my wife and I will be packing and mailing the CD's out beginning Monday, as promised, since it looks like the museum staff will be buried in post-show work for some time. So you got your names in to the pot for an early shipment, and it won't cost you anything for a while. Good deal, huh?So, please consider ordering the CD. It really is worth it. We are including the KRDG/MAAM Scenery on the disc, as well as something you can not get anywhere else - the developmental scenery done by Bill Womack of the MAAM compound for FS2002 that we used at last year's WW2 Weekend show. The full-blown scenery is only for FS2004, so this is a way for you sim hold-outs to have a bit of MAAM in your FS World. Here are a couple shots, including our ruined "French Village", scene of twice-daily skirmishes between Allied and Axis re-enactors.Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, and Hamblyhttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Hi Satchmo,I can sympathise, as I've had things stolen after being left outside the door. Nowadays, unless I know that it can go through the letterbox (like this one should) I always have parcels delivered to my works address.Cheers,Alastair

Bill,perhaps you can add an option "registered mail" for those who want it? At an extra cost of course. I suppose most people wouldn't mind paying a few dollars more if that meant their packages can be traced - I know I wouldn't (although I must admit I've no clue how much extra this would cost) up to, say, 10 Dollars extra or so. I also have the experience that mail services can be very inventive in loosing stuff. Of course this means more work for you as well. Cheers!Gert

Guest allcott

Gert,Given Bills' assurances that a copy will be made available to you if such an eventuality occurred, (and it's a bit of a presumption that it WILL be lost, can't you just be there when it's delivered?), why ask them to set up a separate system? Just make an extra donation to the museum via the website!Allcott

The problem with registered mail is it makes things more difficult on both ends.On our end, it means physically going to the Post Office and filling out the registration. Then, aside from the extra cost, you have to sign for it. So that means, if you don't happen to be there when it arrives, you get a note in your mailbox saying that you, too, must go to the P.O. At least that's the way it works here. We want to be able to stuff the mailers, apply the postage and Customs Decs, if any, and let the Letter Carrier do the humping. It will fit through your mailslot, too. No bulky, extra-cost box to throw away. Just a slim jewel case in a bubble-pack mailer.Over the five year history of this effort, I have only had to replace about five missing CD's and perhaps as many broken ones. That's out of thousands! So this is really a non-issue. We'll get it to you if I have to fly over and kick it out the R4D door with a handkerchief parachute, like the "Candy Bombers" of the Berlin Airlift. ;-)Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, and Hamblyhttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

>Since I absolutely don't trust our local mail (god knows how>many packets I didn't receive in the last years), it would be>nice to know that there will be a download version of the new>DC-3?!>>AndreasSame here!I live in California and they (the Post Office) has screwed up my mail so many times there is NO WAY I would order things through the mail any longer. Worth it or not I just can't do it....my mail service is just too darn unreliable.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest georg

Rambow, you should have a mail in your e-box ;) Expect something good.

Guest crazyh

Well this did answer my post so will look forward to getting my DC-3 R4D in the mail. I to have had problem with the mail. One time they decided to send all my mail for a month to my son in the Marine Corp.So I will cross my fingers as I also purchased a CD manual from New Zealand.

Guest georg

Rambow,Confirm you got the mail from me? I have not received an answer yet. It should be in the address that you have with AVSIM forums, because I sent the letter via the forum.

Guest crazyh

Yes. I received an Order Comfirmation. Just trying to see when the Pre-orders were going to start shipping. Never had anyone ship before charging accounts.Looking forward to flying her.

Guest georg

Hmm, actually I thought if Rambow got my mail :)

Guest IanP

Hello...I'm not sure whether he has at the moment, because he can't post at the forum anyway due to a "minor technical fault"... :-(I'll try and ask via one of the other routes, but as he is stuck at MAAM dealing with shipping orders right now, I doubt he is getting e-mail either. The MAAM-SIM mobile HQ (Bill's motorhome) doesn't have a telephone line to connect to the net. :-)I'll pass the message along anyway.Ian P.BTBT Gopher and Random Beer Crate Rotator:-halo

Guest georg

Thank you very much! Actually the point is that we can support MAAM with downloadable version, so its quite important for him I think.