Sign in to follow this  

strange-video card performance answer?

Guest ST

>OH yeah!! fs2002pro ge 4mx440 THANKS!! what a find. how did>this even happen? tom tI was wondering whether you or someone else who uses a Geforce4 MX440 with FS2002/2004 could tell me what exactly you changed in your cgf file so that I can try this "tweak" out myself by doing it the right way?thx

Geofa or anybody:Do you know what to do if your specific video card is not listed in the display.cfg file? For example, the GeForce 5200 is listed but not the 5600, and the Radeon 9700 but not the 9800. Does this mean that FS is not properly recognizing the newer cards??? tom.

>Do you know what to do if your specific video card is not>listed in the display.cfg file? For example, the GeForce 5200>is listed but not the 5600, and the Radeon 9700 but not the>9800. Does this mean that FS is not properly recognizing the>newer cards???No, it does not. If a card is not listed in the display.cfg, it means that there are no specific display parameters that need to be set for it. Certain display settings are made for certain cards because of the limitations of those older cards.If you look in your fs9.cfg file, you will see that FS9 is properly recognizing your card.Don S.

Guest fturner

An observation with my Radeon 9700Pro.1st:Awhile ago I upgraded my drivers on my system. All of a sudden I dropped about 5fps and the stutters where causing me the jitters. After reading a post on avsim forum's about deleting all video card entries in the fs9.cfg file and letting FS rebuild the display section, the stutters where gone and fps was back up.In my fs9.cfg file, were 2 sets of display sections (alot of people are noting this above). One marked with standard Radeon info and the second set where marked with Omega radeon info. After deleting both sections the omega entries where put back in by FS on startup.Ever since, when I upgrade my video drivers, I automatically go into the fs9.cfg file and delete all the display entries. Of course I do note down all the extra settings under each. I then start FS, set up all my display settings and exit. I then edit the fs9.cfg file and put in the settings that are missing. I have never had the jitters since I have done this. I guess it a ritual now.2nd:I need to disagree with folks on the correlation of the display.cfg file and the display settings in the fs9.cfg. The fs9.cfg file is read in right at the beginning telling FS all the settings that you want for FS, including your display settings, hence entries that state resolution etc.The display.cfg file is read in once FS has determined the dll file that is the main controlling file for the driver of your video card. The rem'd statements before each section is a description of the cards, as mentioned above, for human ease of reading the file.Judging from the entries available for each DLL file, I would be safe to assume that for that specific hardware vendor:chip model entry, the following settings should be enabled/disabled according to the capabilities of that gpu.In light of the above observations, the 1st will make a difference, since obviously FS is being confused with multiple entries. Remember, FS9 has been updated to properly handle multiple screens, the slow down could be coming from FS trying to access a screen that does not exist.Playing with the second idea is also a viable option, especially for owners of cards not listed, such as the latest ATI and NVidia options. It is described above how to make new entries into display.cfg for new cards, and then its testing time to determine the best fit for your card. Perhaps posting these findings for other card owners could be a viable option here as well.best regardsFrit

Guest lodewyk

Geofa,I'm very excited about all this - I just can't find Fs9.cfg. I followed the string you mentioned and I also did a "Find files or Folders" search but no luck.Any help?Lodewyk

Guest lodewyk

Where did you find it??I've looked everywhere, tried everything but no Fs9.cfg flie anywhere??Lodewyk

Guest lodewyk

How an where??I've looked everywhere an tried eveyrthing but no Fs9.cfg!!!Please help!LodewykPs: I use a Gf4 MX440 64 and Fs2002

Hi Lodewyk,Fs9.cfg is a configuration file created by FS2004 (FS9) and not FS2002. The equivalent file for FS2002 is FS2002.cfg and is located in the FS2002 root folder. Now, assuming your difficulty is with finding the location of fs9.cfg and you are using Windows XP then do the following:Try double clicking 'My Computer', then select Tools - Folder Options - View, then make sure you have 'Show hidden files and folders ' checked.Run a search for FS9.cfg and it should now turn up. My assumption is that you have Windows XP installed on the C: drive in which case the file path will probably be:"C:Documents and SettingsLodewykApplication DataMicrosoftFS9fs9.CFG"As you will discover, it is very likely you will be revisiting this important file on numerous occasions as you pursue the tweaking process. So, the next tip may be of some help:1. Right click 'fs9.cfg' and create a shortcut which you can then paste to your desktop.2. Right click this copy and rename it to, say, "Shortcut to FS9.cfg"Mike

Guest Captain_K

Hi,I have a FX5600 and have added this line in my display.cfg file - do you think this is correct?;----------------------------------------------------------------------; NVIDIA GeForce FX5600 on 2k/xp;----------------------------------------------------------------------[000010DE:00000312:nv4_disp.dll]MinDriverRev=6.14.10.5216PanelAsTexture=1Many thanks to anyone who could advise.Cheer's ... Captain K.

Guest grim reaper

I tried this and it did make my sim run much smoother and faster but it reverted to 800x600 resolution at 16 bit colour which didn't suit me so when I changed it to 1152x864 with 32 bit it changed back to my original driver and when I checked the config a new entry had been created with the original driver line and underneath that was the line I had modified. It seems if you change it back it automatically goes back to the original driver setting.

Guest camtech

very interesting in this great find, but i have a question i went in to the fs9 cfg files and found this.DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 Ultra.0, the only problem with that is i have the radeon 9800 xt 256 in my system, what do i do to change that over.the only reason that can be is because i changed cards from the 5950 to the 9800.can some one out there help me correct this.thanks....Robert

Hi Robert,1. Backup your fs9.cfg file by making a copy.2. Delete fs9.cfg and startup FS2004.3. Go into Settings - Display - Hardware and note that your card is being recognized correctly in the 'Device name' window.4. Set your preferred display resolution and set Filtering to 'Trilinear'.5. Click on 'OK' and load up your default flight.6. Exit the sim.Open up the previously copied original fs9.cfg (which will contain all the tweaks you may have made previously) and delete the reference to your previous card - the three lines - see my example below (**). Also, check for any duplicate entries that may have appeared further down in the file. There may also be an entry for your new card - delete it as well.Now, open up the freshly created fs9.cfg and scroll down to the section immediately above 'Display' and below 'Sound' - in my case it looks like:(**)(DISPLAY.Device.RADEON 9800 PRO (Omega 2.5.04).0) ;)MikeEdit: I have to say that I have become a little sceptical about the importance of the entries in the Display.cfg file. I am now reasonably sure that when the sim was in development the programmers had received reports about some issues with certain graphics cards that were in use around that time. To ensure compatibility with as many cards as possible, switches were placed in the Display.cfg file to disable any troublesome features as applied to those cards. Like everyone else, I have played around with the various suggestions and seeing little or no changes in performance, eventually decided to try the effect of deleting the Display.cfg file. Result: No change, but this may simply be because my card was not in production at the time the sim was released and so any entries were irrelevant. The file remains deleted - although I have kept a copy, just in case!

Guys, this darn thing has gotten so long it takes a whole vertical scroll length on my monitor. Its too long and unweildy. Please start a new thread and lets lock this sucker.EJ

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg