Sign in to follow this  

strange-video card performance answer?

Great information in this post!"TableFog=0 or 1 (enable or disable fog table emulation)"What is a "fog table emulation"? Some entries in display.cfg have just that exception statement.Thanks,Bruce.

Guest byoung

Made no difference for me.. But I have the AGP 8X version... Maybe it is the same????Barry

OK, I'll try play with this value a bit and see if it gives me any better results - thanks for the info!/Richard

Richard Åsberg

Hi folks,thanks to everybody for the appreciation, but I have to admit that this is just the beginning of some sort of scientific experiment (interesting though). I would like just to add that identifying the video card and adding to the display.cfg the extra lines I've posted will not change anything in FS2004 but will just be a preparatory work for future tweaks of each video card driver.I would also like to point out that I do not expect anyway a big boost in performance by tweaking the video card driver especially if in the system (like inside mine) the bottle neck is the CPU rather than the Video card (I have a GF4 Ti 4600 128 MB that is a good card but only an AMD 1900XP cpu). Sure the users of "older" cards like the GF3 GF2 or even the GF4 MX ones, may notice a bigger increase especially if they have decent CPU's (2GHz or higher).Now going back to the tweaks, I've discovered a first set of switches that seems to help a bit (at least they help my GF4)RenderToTexture=0MultiTexture=1Thiese two switches should disable the RenderToTexture DirectX9 function (sort of replacement of the Multitexture that was present on FS2002) leaving enable the "older" FS2002 multitexturing. I tried this on my system and (please treat it as a very preliminary info) sitting at KSEA in daylight, VC mode I've gained 1-2 FPS. As you see it's not a big boost and this is again confirming that there's no magic wand here. I'd like to see results from others.The tweaking continues.......Happy flyingMikey4468

HI Mikey, "Thiese two switches should disable the RenderToTexture DirectX9 function (sort of replacement of the Multitexture that was present on FS2002) leaving enable the "older" FS2002 multitexturing."Render to texure is not Multitexture, it's another seperate feature.Multitexture still here in fs2004, it's the terrain details slider in fs2004 display.Terrain details Slider to None = No MultitextureTerrain details Slider to Land Only = Multitexture EnabledBoth shots will show you render to texture completly off, and the multitexturing will be enabled without the render to texture.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/32210.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/32211.jpgThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

guys,i really dont know how to do this...please help? mikey i sent you private msg....i have an Inno3d GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP8Xthis is BTW the line in the FS09.cfg what do i change?[DISPLAY,Device.Inno3D GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X.0]ok hope you guys can help me!cheers

have a Radeon 7200.0 I have been getting FPS of below 6 when using real weather and staying consistently below that number for long periods.I changed the FS9 CFG as per his instructions with my same settings, locked on 40 FPSAutogen sparse, Anti aliasing unchecked and sight view 60 miles.I did not notice any difference.I changed the display wording to Radeon 7200.0 and my frame rates went up. It still dips below 6 occassionally but not for long. It still stopped occassionally but not very long.On real weather which is overcast by me tonight I flew the Extra and kept rolling it in the clouds and kept FPS in the teens.I then flew the POSKY A330 with the A330v2 panel from brum to Edinburgh. I flew the last few miles just below the clouds and had fairly good FPS with the odd hiccup. It stayed mainly above 6.I hope somebody might find it helpfulMy computer is an Athlon 2.4I would like to thank Geofa and I am now a bit more optimistic about FS9

Here's my situation. I am using a GeForce4 4200 card as well, and I'd like to try the change that you made. However, I can't seem to find either my fs9.cfg or display.cfg files. Using Windows 2000, could somebody out of the kindness of his ir her heart give me step by step directions on how to find the files and make the aformentioned changes. I will let the board know what happens when I make the changes.My computer uses the following components as well.Athlon 2800+512DDR SDRAMThanks a million in advance!Robb

Geof,I've learned to be very skeptical of even the most highly touted miracle fix for FPS and stutters but I decided to give this one a try. Wow! It's like night and day! I was thinking about a new system but now everything is maxed and smooooooth as glass. Amazing! Thanks for the great tip!David

Ok after fiddling with this over the past couple days, I've found that for my system (Athlon 1.4, 512MB, GF3) I'm not seeing any tangible framerate improvement, but what I am seeing is a very noticable difference in image quality. Something is changing about the way the card is filtering textures and it's definitely for the better - the moire distortion on the far off buildings is gone and I'm seeing much better terrain detail into the distance - I'll try to post some screenshots later, but it's very noticable and whatever is causing it isn't affectomg framerates at all.Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

ok i posted a msg yesterday but apperantly it didnt get posted...very wierd but anyways ok...i have an Inoo3d GeForce 4 Ti4200 and i really dont kow what i should change in the FS09.cfgshould i change it from the default to the following??? will it then work? PLEASE help me if its good say YES if not please show me what im doing wrong!!!1DISPLAY.Inno3d Drivers on Win2K/XPcorrecT??

>>Also try this for better and more stable fps:>>in the fs9.cfg:>>>>TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 (change from 512 to 1024 or 2048)>>>>Much smoother. This is an trick what worked in fs2002 also.>>>>Johan>>Texture _max_load= is simply telling Fs what the max Texture>size to display on AC and objects, e.g.>64x64/128x128/256x256/512x512 etc. the max texture file size>is 1024x1024 (tested) FS will not display any larger files>than this (hardcoded), this is a bogus setting and usually>results in FS setting itself to default.>>To verify this yourself go into FS/display/aircraft settings>and change texture detail and exit then go back and check that>line in the FS9.cfg.>>Wel not completely, since MS recommended it to 1024 when we tested FS2002, it helps against stutters.And it does here at least.Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]-----http://www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johdUnofficial PSS Website

Hi David,can you please tell me which are the spec of your system and which are the display and traffic settings of FS2004 after you "reworked" the FS9.cfg ?Just for my record, this will help me make some comparison and improve the analisys.ThanksMikey4468

Hey,sorry for not posting the answer but I replied to your private message yesterday. However here's the copy of my e-mailThe VEN code shall be identical to mine as 10DE is the code for Nvidia andyou have an Nvidia card. The model number should not be identical as I havea GF4 Ti 4600 (model 0250) while you say you have a GF4 4200. You should put250 only if this is the model identified in your MSINFO screen. If this iswhat you have found, the lines to add are exactly the ones you posted here,if not, just replace the 00000250 with 0000XXXX where XXX is the code forthe 4200 chipset.Now remember that this is only the starting point. By doing just this youwill not notice any difference in behaviour. You have just prepared thefield for future tweaking of your video card driver.CiaoMikey4468

Hi Chris,thanks for the info. Makes a lot of sense.BTW, have you noticed any display quality difference with of without RenderToTexture enabled ?CheersMikey4468