Sign in to follow this  

strange-video card performance answer?

"this topic has been discussed here many times before"My mistake, I see now that it was originally dated back to August. Somehow my forum preferrances changed and this topic went to the top of the page. Steve

Hi Bob,Happy New Year!This is really fascinating. I've read and re-read your explanation carefully and I do believe you have finally clinched this matter. Your theory is both lucid and logical and does make perfect sense. However, - yes, there's always a BUT ;) - I am trying to clarify a couple of niggles. This is my entry in the Display.cfg (currently not in use) file:;--------------------------------------------------------------------; ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 2k/XP;--------------------------------------------------------------------{00001002:00004E48:ati2dvag.dll}Disable=1{00001002:00004E48:ati2dvag.dll.1}MinDriverRev=6.14.0001.6307Disable=2and, this is the 'catchall' entry:;--------------------------------------------------------------------; ATI Radeon Win2k/XP;--------------------------------------------------------------------{ati2dvag.dll}Disable=1PanelAsTexture=0AntiAlias=0{ati2dvag.dll.1}MinDriverRev=5.13.01.3102Disable=2{ati2dvag.dll.2}MinDriverRev=6.14.0001.6307PanelAsTexture=2and, finally, this is the corresponding modified entry in my fs9.cfg:{DISPLAY.Device.RADEON 9800 PRO (Omega 2.5.04).0}Mode=1280x1024x32TriLinear=1//RenderToTexture=0//TextureAGP=0PanelAsTexture=0You will note a couple of lines that were added by me have been disabled as part of my previous experimentation.I have now checked my current driver file details through Adapter - Properties and find the file version for:'ati2dvag.dll' is in fact = 6.14.10.6404Whereas, the version number in Display.cfg is quoted as:MinDriverRev=6.14.0001.6307 (presumably put there by the developers in 2002)Now, my problem here is whether or not it would be appropriate to change/update this version number in Display.cfg and reactivate the file again to ensure the sub(=) entry is activated. My guess is that this may not be necessary for the more recent cards like the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro using the latest driver sets. Could it be that 'MinDriverRev' refers to the minimum driver revision, the last driver revision where activation of the sub(=) entry would have been appropriate to implement?A further question relates to the 'ati2dvag.dll' file itself. I note there are 3 instances in the 'Catchall' entry, viz.,1. ati2dvag.dll (with Disable=1) :)Certainly, for me at any rate, there are still some questions needing answered before I will be persuaded to reactivate the Display.cfg file but, knowing me, curiosity will, in the end, win the day and doubtless you will soon find me experimenting further...sigh :(Any further thoughts?Cheers,Mike :-wave

Hello...Well, my new Card of ASUS Radeon 9800XT! (Drive 3.10) I control FS9.cfg and Display.cfg!FS9.cfg > DISPLAY.Device.RADEON 9800 XT.0Mode=1024x768x32RenderToTexture=0Trilinear=1MipBias=8I found not of Display.cfg for Radeon 9800XT, where? I sould self new Text to Display.cfg? Adria32 look my card! I found PCI/AGP 1002/4E4A, Drive version 6.14.0010.6404 Display Configurator is right? What mean their?;----------------------------------------; ATI Radeon 9800XT 2k/XP;----------------------------------------<00001002:00004E4A:ati2drag.dll>Disable=1<00001002:00004E4A:ati2drag.dll.1>MinDriverRev=6.14.0010.6404Disable=2Who are Drive Version of 4.2 or 4.3? Is it good?Thanks for future help!Best RegardSebastian