Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marcelo

--Your comment on LCD (flat) panels

Guest Marcelo

Anyone that could comment on their experience with flat LCD panels, please?I am considering to change from CRT to LCD.Regards, MarceloSantiago, Chile.Posted on Thursday Dec.30, 7.10am EDT

Guest allcott

A hardware forum question, surely.I have one, replacing a Mitsubishi 21" CRT. 17" Iiyama ProLite E431S. Superb for FS use - and for all other games.Allcott

Guest ThrottleUp

This is purely from a personal standpoint:LCDs have totally failed to impress me. Even the high end expensive makes come nowhere near the quality of a good CRT screen. And when it comes to gaming....CRT any day! No matter how small the pixel-response time of LCDs I still find ghosting etc.The only 2 good points they have are less power-usage & their space-saving design.If you can, I suggest going to a store where they display identical images (a movie or game) playing on LCDs and CRTs then you can guage for yourself :)

Guest danowat

I use at home, a 20.1" LG LCD panel, and a IIlyama 22" visionmaster pro CRT at work for CAD use, which one do I prefer?The LCD panel HANDS DOWN, it has no ghosting, it shows black very well, it is pin-sharp, clear and colourfull, it blows the CRT IIlyama out of the water.The age old arguements of LCD's not being as good as CRT's are now all but wrong.Granted LCD's are more expensive, but I would NEVER buy another CRT again, there is just no point anymore.Dan.

Just to add my vote in here, I have had an NEC 17" LCD for almost the past two years and have been completely satisfied with it. No ghosting, just no problems at all.I was worried at first about the limited refresh rate, but it just doesn't seem to matter on my system. I am a little cramped for space and the LCD really does help there. Happy Holidays,Ed GreenKCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/DEV.jpg

Guest bones

Same here. My 21" Sony Trinitron was a superb monitor and I was mortified when it went pop on me. I was wary of moving over to LCD but I needed the desk space. Nice though the Trinitron was it was HUGE..I got A Viewsonic 21" LCD and it is superb. No problems in FS at all, no ghosting, excellent colors. I get slight banding on DVD's but have not noticed this anywhere else..boneshttp://fsaviation.nethttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest Bigshot

CRT for gaming. LCD for everything else.

Guest Paul Heaney

Been using an LCD now for 2 weeks on my new system, and I love it. Infact with FS, I have a hard time flying at night now, as its harder for me to see the horizon, the CRT helped me cheat a bit.This is a good point, now I have to actually use my gauges :)

i recently purchased a Acer 17" LCD with my new system that i had made. The monitor performes great, but the color black isnt the greatest. Only time i reconize it is on night flights. Anyway this can be fixed?

Here's my honest asessment.I have a three-monitor homebuilt cockpit and over the past 12 months I have been looking at ways to save space within. The main outside view is on a 22" Mitsubishi CRT sitting behind a Fresnel lens and the other two monitors are used for gauges and FSNav. Three CRT's were hogging a lot of space that could be better used not to mention the heat.I have looked at maybe hundreds of TFT/LCD screens and I came to a solid conclusion for the moment.I replaced the two secondary CRT's with two TFT's for the gauges and FSNav and they are SUPERB.BUT, for Outside View TFT/LCD is not for me with or without the Fresnel Lens. The CRT wins hands down every time.If, however, you are running everything on one screen, with so little outside view to see above the panel you may not notice the lesser quality of the TFT/LCD for outside view.

I can give you this advice - inspect the one you're buying carefully! - put up a dark background and look for the dreaded dead pixel anomaly. Dead pixels take many forms - of the 2+ million transistors that make up the screen only ONE stuck permanently 'on' showing blue(my experience), green, whatever will RUIN your night flying - completely shatters the illusion of depth, spatial escape that fs creates.I will never buy an LCD online (Dell et al) again - most companies have a policy of not considering an lcd defective unless there are five or more such pixels clustered blahdeblah - rubbish!This happens at the time of manufacture and from my research, is apparently not uncommon, but when pixels are stuck 'off', no colour, most don't notice, but 'on' - forget it! Sent mine back - awaiting replacement. Some manufacturers have a 'zero dead pixel' policy, and I suppose perhaps higher quality/priced lcds may hava a lower occurance. Having said that of all the lcds I've seen, used over the years that's my first encounter of this problem.Not being alarmist - but the problem does occur.regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Marcelo,I use a 1280x1024 LCD monitor. It's the Samsung 'SyncMaster 171s'As a radio Ham I can assure you that it is the safest screen to sit in front of for Flight Simming.People seem to have forgot, in the early day's warnings where given out regarding the amount of 'Gamma' Radiation the normal CRT gives out!Advise was given to sit at least twelve feet from a colour television CRT screen because of the radiation risks and all the problems they can cause.The LCD monitor gives of minimal radiation and ideal for viewing everything that the LCD screen can show.Better to be an LCD user than a used to be deceased flight simmer eh?I know that 'E-Rad' screens help but even using them dosen't stop the radiation pattern from spewing out from the edges of them. The choice........as is your long living future, is yours?All the best,Dave.'Three greens and soft landings'

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Bigshot

People usually have to go to the beach for their dose of gamma radiation. Me, I get mine sitting in front of the TV and computer and when I really need a good dose, I mow the lawn. Never got a sunburn sitting in front of my computer or TV. I also eat whoppers at Burger King to get my usual dose of carinagens. Grill big thick steaks on the back deck all summer long. And I roll my own cigarettes. That way, I can smoke more for less money. My wife brews the hooch and I drink it whilst sitting in an overheated hottub. I never take any prescription drugs and never go to the doctor. Doing that stuff will kill you. I'm near 56, not a single pound overweight, never exercise, can run a good twenty yards in one burst without the need for oxygen, and I sleep like a baby every night. And, I stay far away for any stress. Should live to at least a 100 or so.

I have the Samsung 213T (21.3") running at 1600 x 1200 on a DVI connector and you would never convince me to go back to a CRT. I have a Viewsonic 22" CRT at work for CATIA purposes but I would still choose the LCD every time.Glenn