Sign in to follow this  
Guest BOPrey

Finally, FSX gets FS9 performance.

On my ATI card I got the wet runways back usingShader20Plus=10UseShaders=1Performance is still waaaaaaaaaaay better than the default. LUV IT !!

Guest BOPrey

RivaTuner is a ultility that allows the user to change a lot of the video cards parameters. You can overclock the card, disable certain features, etc. What we are talking about here is, by disabling the shaders (pixel and vectex), FSX will have the old FS9 look with increase in performance. At the same time, effects such as wet runways and chrome will also be not available.

Guest Redvan

>Hi all,>Please don't take this as negative, but all of this reminds me>of my fling with Falcon 4.0 - all the things we had to do to>get it to run properly and stop CTD'ing every other mission. >We (me and thousands of others around the world) had to>install fresh on a defragged HD, install patches (very>confusing which ones BTW), tweak this, turn off that, turn up>the other thing. OMG, it was a nightmare. >I will be glad when all this gets sorted out and posted for>all to see.>dolphOT: I take it you have not yet heard of OCI (one click installer) or OF (Open Falcon)... :):)

Guest Redvan

will RivaTuner work along side ATI Tray Tool? Or is it a one or the other deal?

Guest BOPrey

I really don't have the answer for that card. You might want to send a msg to Alex Nicolaychuk a.k.a Unwinder who is the author of RivaTuner. He site is down at the moment.

Redvan, you can get the same effect in ATI tray tools if you want, instead of using rivatuner or cfg changes. Ray Adams is my hero, haha.right click the tray tools icon in the taskbar:Go to >Tweaks > Standard Tweaks> Direct 3d tabOverride Pixel Shader version to 1.0Override Vertex Shader version to 1.0or whatever else you like...hit apply, and playAs a side note, below those settings, under HyperZ, I find using Z compression mode "2" gets me a few extra fps with no z-buffer anomalies, as well as disabling "Z mask enable". your results may vary. ;)May require a reboot, depends on your card.Remember its a global setting for direct3d, your other games may not appreciate your choices.Good luck. :)

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

>If I am not mistaken, the default installation is for nVidia.>However, it comes with patches for many different cards, and>of course, patches for ATI cards are included.Yea, I've used riva tuner on both brands. I'm using it to slightly O/C my 9800 pro. I'll have to try that and seewhat happens on my box. MK

Guest Jimbofly

It's funny because I actually had a strong suspicion that one of the reasons FSX seemed to be lacking in performance for scenery that looked about the same as what you got in FS9 was because FSX incorporated some fairly advanced bump mapping and reflection mapping shaders.I'm fairly certain that once next-gen vid cards hit the market computers will finally be able to run FSX well with plenty of autogen and all other settings turned up!James

Guest nem

I don't know about you, but to me the result looks like FS9 with better autogen alignment and worse landclass. Whoopdeedo.If that's the price you're willing to pay for better FPS, fine. Asking why to switch from FS9 in the first place under these circumstances seems reasonable though.Regards,http://www.bremmekamp.com/img/misc/avsim.jpg

If you have to disable and cut things out of the sim, you are instantly reverting back to FS9. So what's the point really? Not that there is any real significant difference, so chop the water, the few fakey water on pavement effects and then drop the scenery and well, you are looking at base FS9. Cool trick but it made no difference to my SLIed 7900s.

Guest jcomm

In my "display.cfg" there is no entry for my ASUS N6600 graphics card, a Geeforce 6600 ...There is a section in fsx.cfg with it correctly identified. Could I place those lines after in in fsx.cfg instead?How can I add my graphics card to "display.cfg"?

Tried the shader idea using ATI tray tools setting it to 1.0. Did not see a real jump in frame rates but lost some stuff like moving jetways.Thanks for the tip anyway, gotta keep trying :-)Bill