Sign in to follow this  
Guest BOPrey

Finally, FSX gets FS9 performance.

Guest jbinner

same video driver here, so I am not sure what the difference is.

Guest BOPrey

You might want to install a newer driver from nVidia.

Guest Vilk

hey, looks like your message went totally unnoticed and... it is the magic bullet! i kept my lovely water and boosted fps massively. how on earth did you get that 10???:-)

I tried this and didn't notice any difference in fps. What I could see was that in the outside view there was no front window visible.That I could accept but I didn't get any performce increase. Why won't it work for me?My systemAMD 64 3200+NVIDIA 6600GT 256m DDR31 Gb 400 MHz RAM

Funny how things change, yet so much remains the same.Anyone recall how we struggled with bad frame rates in FS9, only to find that renaming Default.xml was the key to higher frame rates?Later Microsoft released the 9.1 patch and we all put Default.xml back to increase the density of our autogen.So here we are 3 years later and renaming Default.xml once again.Anyone else having deja vu?Bruce

>Uh, well yes the fix to rename the default.xml and change the>800 and 3000 etc works, but it works because now we have like>no autogen lol. Of course the FPS are higher....anyone else>notice the extreme lack of autogen? I think I'll just keep>mine off, once you get past 1000ft anyway the textures are so>nice you don't need autogen....I have NEVER seen so much autogen with thse tweaks set... not sure what's up with your config!?!

Ok, what does deleting or renaming default.xml do in fS? Im really curious.Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Guest SanH

Hi Geofa, i think that could be it. When i installed rivatuner it said that it didnt recognise my drivers when i loaded it up for the first time. I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed.

This was posted by Johnci sometime ago. It only seems to have an effect on autogen scenery--removing the "cute" eye candy such as the fast food joints, etc... I can't see any of that stuff above a couple thousand feet anyway, so I never bothered to restore my default.xml file and have flown without it for a long time with no issues.JimCYWG

Guest SanH

ok, i added those lines to the display.cfg directly under the first Nvidia entry. apart from the taxi way signs disappearing i noticed no other difference. frame rates were about the same.i have noticed that the people who tend to report big increases are those with lower spec graphics cards. those with higher spec graphics cards are not seeing much (if any) improvement probably because our cards can handle it better.

If you rename default.xml to something else, you will lose all "special" autogen in urban areas, such as gas stations, water towers, etc. You'll also lose almost all trees in the urban areas. You will also lose trees and some autogen items in farm and rural areas. You retain for the most part houses and buildings in urban areas and most of the trees in forested areas such as in the mountains. This was too much of a "hit" for me. It does boost frame rate in urban areas though, so it may be what you're looking for.

Ken

Guest BOPrey

If you are using RivaTuner 2.0, you should be ok with the driver released in Feb 06. Get it from nVidia's archive. I did the same with my machine.