Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Vista OEM disclaimer on newegg?

Newegg cites this MS link for the Vista OS (the OEM system builder versions). I checked out the PDF file but still am a little confused.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16832116213http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspxSay I buy Vista Ultimate for 200 bucks. Does that mean I can't use it if I change my mobo, RAM, gpu, etc? Does this OEM version work the same way as FSX claims to work (ie you change some major hardware and you have to buy a new copy???)Just curious,

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

For me your pdf link is dead. It is an interesting question: Can you make any hardware changes on an OEM licence?There is a MS document around that explains the weighting applied to hardware changes with the disc drive and MB getting the highest. It is explained here. It may have been tweaked for Vista.http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/e...742/OSLicQA.docAny volunteers to install an OEM Vista and then start removing parts of their PC to see what happens? :)

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

You CAN move Vista over to a completely new box. Activation WILL fail... however you can call Microsoft and explain that you fried your chipset and they CAN'T refuse to manually activate your license.This was cleared up months ago now, shortly after the original EULA said that your limited to three hardware upgrades, without defining 'upgrades'. Microsoft re-wrote the EULA, much to the satisfaction of most enthusiasts and professionals.

>>This was cleared up months ago now, shortly after the original>EULA said that your limited to three hardware upgrades,>without defining 'upgrades'. Microsoft re-wrote the EULA,>much to the satisfaction of most enthusiasts and>professionals.Yes, but Microsoft had to have their feet put in the fire before they would rewrite the EULA. Not a good trend at all.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

but.... they did listen.

OEM software is for ONE computer only.When you buy a Dell computer, and later build a new computer, you cannot use the license for Windows XP for the Dell to install XP on the computer you build - even if you trash the Dell.This has been Microsoft practice/ policy for quite a while.Their justification is that by selling the OS at less than half the normal price - it's license is not transferrable to another computer.Small scale custom computer builders have been complaining that this practice has been forcing them out of business - because they have to charge higher prices for their computers since they have to pay much more for the OS license.The open sale of the OEM Vista is designed to avoid most of this problem - and is a HUGE advantage to the guys like many flight simmers who build their own computers.The choice is very simple - if you want Vista for only one computer - to never transfer it to another computer - buy the System Builder/ OEM.If you want to be able to transfer it to another computer - buy the full retail.MS isn't hiding anything or pulling a fast one.The lower priced product has limitations and restrictions.The question is what constitutes a "new computer"?The same case, the same power supply, the same motherboard?I have no idea of Microsoft's definition. But for most people changing the mother board and processor would be considered a new computer.Edit - Found Microsoft's definition - and new motherboard is definitely a new computer.

Guest allcott

>You CAN move Vista over to a completely new box. Activation>WILL fail... however you can call Microsoft and explain that>you fried your chipset and they CAN'T refuse to manually>activate your license.>>This was cleared up months ago now, shortly after the original>EULA said that your limited to three hardware upgrades,>without defining 'upgrades'. Microsoft re-wrote the EULA,>much to the satisfaction of most enthusiasts and>professionals.In one thread you berate piracy, yet in this you condone lies and deceit.Explain the hypocrisy? Is it an IT thing? Clearly the EULA, revised or not, is not the problem. It is the Activation policy. You have been told this, denied it, yet contradict yourself, again. Allcott

I disagree, one PC should be able to be one system at a time. If you uninstall and change mobos, then you should be ok..... as long as it's only on one hard drive.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It's been said that MS was pretty lenient about allowing Win XP OEM licenses to be moved with phone activation. There is no guarantee that MS will do the same with Vista OEM.scott s.

This is directly from the MS document linked in the second post on the thread by DescendDescend. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing - just quoting MicrosoftEducation Operating System Licensing Q&A Please Note: This Q&A is provided solely for informational purposes. Your use of Microsoft Software Products is governed by the terms and conditions of your licensing agreement. For more information on licensing please visit http://www.microsoft.com/licensing or http://www.microsoft.com/education/HowToBuy.mspx 11. Rather than purchase completely new PCs, my organization performs in-place upgrades to the hardware on many of our computers. We often times only replace the motherboard, processor, and memory. Since the COA is still on the case and the OS is still installed on the hard drive, this computer is still licensed, right?ANSWER. Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your computer and maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer." Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from one computer to another. Therefore, if the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer has been created, the original license expires, and a new full operating system license (not upgrade) is required. This is true even if the computer is covered under Software Assurance or other Volume License programs.

Guest Eek

>Therefore, if the motherboard is upgraded>or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new>computer has been created, the original license expires, and a>new full operating system license (not upgrade) is required.>This is true even if the computer is covered under Software>Assurance or other Volume License programs.[/i]So, technically, you could tell them your mobo developed a short and maintain the same license. Am I reading that correctly?MS's definition of a "new computer" certainly doesn't fit mine. To me, a new computer is just that.. all new components (mobo, CPU, HD-minimum).~EwingKATLMSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz2GB Corsair PC-3200 512x4 Dual Channel CL2.5 DDR DIMM eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3Sound Blaster Audigy LSOCZ Powerstream 420WWinXPPro (SP1)

I replaced my mobo, CPU and RAM on an old system and my OEM Windows XP activated just fine. Didn't even have to call MS.Vista maybe another story though...............Glenn