Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

CPU Cooler? Zalman?

Anyone have this cooler or know if it's any good?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835118115I'm looking at coolers to gain a little more OC on air I don't wanna go past 50 deg C. I run FSX maxed out for a long time around 47ish at my current 2480 MHz with my FX-57 cooler on my 3700+If you know of any good ones please chime in...thanks!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hello Ryan:I don't know whether this is what you want to hear or not being that I do not have the same CPU that you do. I have the core 2 Duo E6600 and don't really have a feel as to which CPU runs the hottest.I have the cooler in question. Outside of FS the CPU runs in the low to mid 40's C. In FSX with pretty well everything maxed out at the moment, it is running at a steady 51 degrees C, which is the same temperature as my case. (8800GTX is the heat source). If you have a cooler GPU, I will bet the whole works runs a bit cooler than mine. I never tried the factory cooler on my present CPU, but on my past system, I had an Intel pentium 4, 3.2GHz. With the factory fan it ran best I remember in the High 50's to 60's with FS9, and possibly a bit higher than that at times. With this cooler, it reduced the temperature to a maximum of the mid 30's to mid 40's depending on load.I personally like the cooler, but when you install it be careful that you use the correct screws in the package. The shorter screws are the correct hardware as the longer may damage your MB. The easiest way to install I have found is to go ahead and position the brackets, put the screws in the mounting holes while holding the fan in your hand, and then carefully position the unit over the holes and screw it in place carefully trying not to loose a screw on the opposite side. If you position the fan first and then try to put the screws in it takes a bit of target practice IMHO. The configuration on your CPU may or may not apply to what I am saying.I personally love the thing, and have the CPU overclocked @ 10% with no problems as long as the speed control is at max. You can hear it, but not excessively IMHO. At low speed, my case fans drown it out. No doubt there are more efficient units in the liquid cooled catagory, but this is sufficient for my purposes.Good luck:RTH

Guest B52Drivr

I have this very same cooler except for a P4 3.2 which is overclocked to 3.56 with only air and I never see temps past 35C where as before I was getting in the mid 40's.Hope this helps,BestClay

Best air cooler bar none is the Sunbeam Tuniq Tower (if you can find one!)I personally use the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Works great and only costs ~$20

Hello,I just built the system listed below and I can tell you one thing. The paragraph listed below was written by me a few days ago, it should give you an idea on what I think of the Zalman 2."Well, I finally built my new system. First off let me start by saying that the reserator 2 is "JUNK", I don't think it could keep an ice cube cool in the middle of winter, during a blizzard. The Typhoon VX cooling fan keeps the system between 10 to 15 degrees cooler than the reserator 2. So if you were thinking of buying the reserator 2, save your money. If you really want to water cool your system, look elsewere. The reserator 2 was unable to keep my CPU (Core2Duo X6800) cool, keep in mind that this processor was "NOT" overclocked during the test."

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

7700 is not bad perfromance with minimal cost. As said just watch the mounting. Better off with the 9500, as it runs about 5C cooler at 125w load testing.I was going to go to the Z-9500, but went with the Thermalright XP-90C w/92mm panaflow fan for the 4800. Its a solid copper silent cooler, with pipes - and I added the fan to it. The whole install was a breeze and cost was about $70.00cdn. Max temp ever had with the o/c'd 4800 at 2.8/1.52V is 47C.Info here: http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_xp90C.htm - Thier 120 is probally the best on the market, but it needs plenty of room.Anyways, here's a good site/link comparing heatsinks & coolers.http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfmAnd a thermal/dba comarison the 7700 against many is in here:http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?...eid=2042&page=4Have fun ;)GarettEDIT - Just make sure whatever cooler you buy, you use a good paste. Arctic Silver 5 is very good. I never use the default stuff with coolers.

Guest SoarPics

...but went with the Thermalright XP-90C w/92mm panaflow fan...My choice as well. Never met a Thermalright cooler that I didn't like. :-) Can't say much about the Zalman cooler as I've never owned one.

Thanks for the help, would the Arctic Freezerpro 64 fit on my mobo?(A8n32-sli deluxe)?Here's a pic, although I've cleaned up the cables a bit I still have that psu pwr cable running sorta across the NB heatsink (it's a lot higher now though)Ok ok it was my first build don't freak about the wrong way I put my HSF on LOL!!!! (notice the cable running OVER the fan ROFL!) If I get a cooler I'll put it on the right way hahaha. Do you think it will fit? I run dual channel RAM so I won't be able to move them at all... yes, that little cable actually sits on top of my video card (bad i know i know), don't know what to do with it cause i open the side panel monthly to clean out the dusthttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167624.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Anandtech have been testing many coolers lately. Take a look at that site and go through the reviews. Their latest one is the Scythe.scott s..

Clay:Glad to see you are still with the forums.I think I have lost your email address over a few glitches and upgrades.Respectfully:RTH

Guest radarbeam

Ryan,Zalmann is dominationg the market because they available in every other store. However the performance of their coolers is deceiving. For a good HSF look at either the Scythe Ninja or it's bigger bother the infinity or you could also go with the unrivaled Tuniq tower 120. Here's a useful linkhttp://www.silentpcreview.com/section11.htmlNick

Ok I looked at that Infinity one, coolI do have an extra 120mm case fan I wonder if I could use that to just blow air at the CPU?? I spose it wouldn't do much?Or that Thermalright HS, would this fan be ok on it?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835109122http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835705010

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Guest SoarPics

That's the fan I run on my XP-90C.

huh, does it hover over the NB too?, it looks like if you put it on one way it could....Too bad I can't find anything for my free 120mm fan....it just lays around...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |