Sign in to follow this  
MM

PREPS Thread #1 (PREPS, Scouting and Chitchat)

Guest Manolito

i must say: i was a bit frustrated there...reading that 2 (!) of us didn't make it to UMBB...but then: #### happens...it could have happened to any of us...it's good it happened so early...the whole race still in front of us...let this console them a bit...so: i won't fret about them but look forward...the abominable "mr.murphy" will pay a visit to our opponents too...of that i'm sure...those crashes will keep us on edge in the future and make sure we keep an extra eye on staying alive ;-)and now for the weather at UMBB:Wind: 170 True, 4 KtsVis: 4002 Meters, 2 SMClouds: 700 ScatteredPrecip: NoneTemp: -2C Dew: -2CPressure: 1009,00 mb, 29,80 inches...soooo i'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Guest Manolito

sure are nice pictures! i flew that leg too (all by myself and with time acceleration) but i didn't see such nice weather...probably because i used time acceleration...didn't waste too much time with looking either ;-)

Guest Manolito

one second i thought i'd fly a leg...surely they must have landed by now...and then i refreshed and saw: they landed and two (!) others had grabbed the baton for the next leg...never seen such fast baton-grabbers before!...;-)it's past 3 o'clock in the morning here in Bremen, Germany...i don't think i'll wait for the next baton...

you can get it at simmarket, their download servers are faster.

Guest Speed

Taking off from Turkey still in darkness:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/142508.jpgLeaving Turkey and crossing over Cyprus:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/142509.jpgEntering Israel and crossing to the West Bank:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/142510.jpgScreaming down the Dead Sea at near 400kts under sea level (altimeter in photo was properly set) and landing at minus 1200ft:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/142511.jpg

It was really nice weather holding at the runway and waiting. But by the time the baton was freed a thunderstorm had come up. As I reached 8000ft, the plane was tumbling like a leaf - literally. Turb factor 4, Weatherset said, and of course I busted the altitude for a few sconds... In the end I had to hand fly her thru the storm, the autopilot should have disconnected by itself. The weather cleared, for few minutes, but then at it again. I think I was almost halfway before I could re-engage the autopilot. Calm...yes, before the storm.I had terrain on the GPS (I don't have TAWS), and so I could see the mountains ahead were too high. I had to turn SE where I could see a valley that just possibly might get me to OISS. Handflying again, zi-zag thru the mountains... Man, I had my share of airmanship challenge on this leg!I do have screenies, but they will have to wait until my ADSL gets fixed. Good luck to you all.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest thespazzz

I was on your wing for that run on the team speak server. Alex was flying with me as well and he scouted the terrain ahead and guided me through it. Your right though between the Pea Soup Terrein. But more on that in my PIREP which i'm gona do on a seperate flight as it was my first ever :-)

Spazzz,It would have been fun talking to you, we could have discussed the situation, and weighed our options. I was VERY close to diverting to OIBB, but I thought I might give that canyon a try. And it worked.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest thespazzz

My first flight so this is going to be rather leanthly as its mostly my impressions and feelings. Please excuse typos as I'm comming off one heck of a rush.I sat next to the runway with Alex who was flying wingman to somebody. In all my exitement I can't remember who. The baton flyer came in landed it was picture perfect, We ran up our engines taxing into position when the unthinkable happened. The plane that had just arrived flipped over. I tried to warn them about those crazy RPG packing iranian gophers. They're small but they can lift 1000 times their weight ;-)The person who was slated to run our leg grabbed the batton at the originating airport and took off running. Suddenly without warning Alex was the leader for our leg and with no one else availible I became his wingman.It didn't bother me at first. But as the pilots came inbound i got more and more nervous. And then it was decided Alex would fly the next leg and Svenks would fly the batton for this round. I didn't want to be alone on my first flight so Alex came up with me as well as Speed. I took off as a thunderstorm was approaching but it haddent quite hit yet. As I took off and climed out engines screeming I could not help but screem a YEEEHAAHHHH back at my teamates. My first flight as a TeamAVSIM member had begun.The flight was mostly uneventfull. It was bumpy but I dunno if that was because of the turbulance or me bouncing in the cockpit from the excitement. As Alex flew with me he noted that there was going to be a slight diversion from my course due to some unusualy high riges along my path. This made me a little nervous (on top of the lots nervous I already was) as my HDG hold on my Autopilot was INOP and so I would have to hand fly the approach. Alex flew ahead and gave me vectors as I went."Turn left to heading 080", "080 Roger", "Your low, Climb to 8200", "8200 Roger" "Turn to heading 123 and fly directly to the middle hill", "Roger now on 123"I watched as the terrain got closer and closer. If I had a GPWS it would have been screaming at me. I was thankfull not to be in the Dash8"Turn to heading 133" I turned... "133 Roger"The terrain got closer and closer, I imagined in my head bits of paint flaking off the underside of my P-38 I was right on the line. A bump of turbulance. I glanced at the Altimeter. "I may have breeched the Altitude restriction" I nervously stated. A moment then "Nothing we can do about it now, just worry about getting on the ground.Another moment... then the terrain fell away. "I'm out!" I exclamed excitedly deseratly trying to keep my nerves in check."Good Job... Airport is on your 2'oclock.As I brought the plane to the ground I was somewhat disapointed to hear that Svenks had gotten his batton post in. But I still felt accomplished.It was my first AVSIM flight. It wasn't easy.. But it was the most #### fun i'd ever had sitting in front of a computer, The truth is for a while there. I thought I was really in the P-38.

Guest sfoofficer

Welcome to the world of RTW. Just a word of warning, you may get a little less jittery, but it gets no less exciting.Excellent job negotiating the terrain, BTW. I went back and grabbed a screen of that last pass you threaded yourself thru.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/142541.jpgBest Regards,