Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

new MS .3 NET Framework inproves performance in FS9 & F...

People in the Vista Australis (VOZ) forum have been claiming improved performance after installing .NET 3. I was sceptical - as I couldn't really see why that would be so. I installed it last night - and now I am beginning to wonder if there is in fact something in it. Like a lot of these things - including lots of so called "fixes" , I do have to wonder if the perceived improvement in performance is in the imagination of the user. In this case, it seems to have given me a few FPS more in one particualrly difficult area . Anybody here at AVSIM tried it?Barry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well I gave it a whirl (including the defrag). I didn't do any serious benchmarking so all I have to go on is my observations. Benchmarking is the only real way to evaluate these things. At a glance, I would say that .net would have no impact on flightsim at all.Anyway, with just casual observations, I'm not noticing any improvement. It certainly has done nothing to hurt my performance. I couldn't say whether there was a tiny improvement or not without benchmarking. I wonder if the registry cleaner does more for people than anything else, especially those that have installs that have been around for a lot longer and/or install a lot of junk. I just built this PC in August and I keep the registry pretty clean. I don't know how much of an improvement cleaning the registry might have anyway. I keep my hard drive defragged regularly as well. I flew around Flightscenery's Portland scenery. Didn't notice any improvement in load times, and the scenery was the same as usual. Maybe it would be better to try something that is a little harder on FPS? At least in my experience I can't tell anyone to run right out and try it, however I didn't see any harm, although *back up* anything before you run a registry cleaner.

>People in the Vista Australis (VOZ) forum have been claiming>improved performance after installing .NET 3. I was sceptical>- as I couldn't really see why that would be so. I installed>it last night - and now I am beginning to wonder if there is>in fact something in it. Like a lot of these things ->including lots of so called "fixes" , I do have to wonder if>the perceived improvement in performance is in the imagination>of the user. In this case, it seems to have given me a few FPS>more in one particualrly difficult area . >>Anybody here at AVSIM tried it?>>BarryThis "urban legend" has already been debunked by Hans Hartmann of Digital Aviation over at the Austrian Flightxpress forum.Link:http://www.wcm.at/forum/showthread.php?threadid=208377ricardo

I am not so sure if it is an urban legend or not, I benchmarked and tested with and without .NET 3.0 based on the same defragmentation for about 20 days and what I found was that there is an improvement noticable. If this works for everyone I do not know but I started the thread at Vista Australis and if it helps your FS9/FSX install or not, at least it cannot hurt to be up to date :)