Sign in to follow this  
fsx

FS9 Backup

Guys,Is it possible to back-up my entire FS9 folder and simply 'drop' it into the MS Games folder if for some reason I later was in a position wher i had to reinstall everything ?Would this not cause registry conflicts ? An if so, what else do I need to backup apart from the FS9.cfg ?ThanksEric

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's definite;y a good idea. I've been doing this for a while now. I've never tried to actually reconnect the backup with the registry - I still think you'll need to reinstall first, but the backup serves as a great source for all those loose files and tweaks that you can just copy across. Also your aircraft textures and addon scenery does not need to be reinstalled you can move it back.

I backup my FS9, and FSX folders weekly to a different hard drive.I've had not trouble with FS9 being copied back to replace a corrupted setup.However, some of my payware addons get real upset and have to be reinstalled.

That's part of my procedure every time I reinstall windows....Copy entire FS9 directory to another drive, then delete original. Install FS9 into same location as before. Install 9.1 update. Install as many of the complex payware aircraft (including ultimate traffic) as I can. Delete the FS9 folder I just installed. Copy entire backup FS9 folder back to original location.Works like a charm every time... Even if I miss reinstalling an addon or two before restoring the complete FS, I can just reinstall it at any time, so far hasn't posed a problem....

As i run FS9 on a separate hard drive, the only failsafe backup i've found is to 'clone' both C, & my FS drive at the same time. That way, i avoid any addon & registry problems.