Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

What is 'Flight Plan Mode'?

When I finish a flight and press 'escape' to get back to the main FS9 window, and then try to launch a new flight plan via a saved .flt file, I often get the following error message:"Flight Simulator is attempting to launch a flight. You must first exit the Flight Plan mode before launching a flight."I have never been able to discover how to "exit the flight plan mode" so that I can start my next flight. Short of closing FS9 (which is what I have always had to do), does anyone know how to do this?Thanks,Martin

As I still have this question almost nine years on, I thought I'd 'bump' it!!

How can I load a flight (usually I do this fopr testing/troubleshooting) without exiting FS9 and restarting it? I have no idea what 'Flight Paln Mode' is, or how to 'exit it', as FS instructs.

When I have finished a flight I press the "ESC" key which then displays a menu from which I select "End flight".  This then returns me to the "Select a flight" screen where I can either create a new flight or select one which has already been saved.

Hope this helps.

Dijvid

Well, probably that is what it means then. I wondered if you can get out of 'flight plan mode' without ending the current flight (cancelling the flight plan somehow), but maybe not. Thanks.

Reading your first post you exit your flight and then go to the flight planner and try and load a saved flight plan? What happens if you simply create the flight plan fresh rather than load a saved one? Same error?

Mark Daniels

I just re-read your last post. If you are trying to create a new flight plan before exiting the flight, you likely first must make sure you finish your current flight completely. I would think if you are not exiting your current flight and getting the error it is likely because you have not parked at the ATC assigned gate. I'm reasonably certain for FS to consider a flight finished you must park at the assigned gate or FS still considers the flight active.

Mark Daniels

No, I am trying to load another flight through a shortcut to the flt file. Even pressing 'Esc' to end the flight does not help. I get the same message from the FS9 'Create a Flight' screen. This is whether I end a flight properly at the assigned gate or not.

If I select the new flight via the 'Select a Flight' screen, then it's OK, I can load the flight, but any attempt to load a flight via a shortcut to its flt file results in the 'exit flight plan mode' message.

I kind of think it's a FS9 bug..

Martin,

It sounds like you have the .flt files associated with FS9.exe so if the sim is not running and you double click on the .flt file it will launch FS with that flight active.

I do the same thing.

It then sounds like you are double clicking on the .flt file (using a shortcut is the same thing) with FS9 running and expecting it to load that .flt?

If so, this is not a bug in FS9.

Due respect, you are expecting something to work in a way that it was never designed or intended to.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

To be honest Joe, I have double-clicked on flt files or links to them ever since I started using FS, and they always open the saved flight plan, aircraft, time and season and all, yes with FS9 running. (I have done it a dozen times today to load different scenarios while working on scenery issues. It's only when you are in this strange 'flight plan mode' that it doesn't work.