Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Heading Indicator Set Incorrectly Problem

I'm suddenly getting "Your heading indicator is set incorrectly -- to set the heading indicator Press D" flying tip warnin1gs and my auto pilot in FSNavigator can't lock on to the correct heading. When I press the D key as instructed, all I get is an audible warning that says "ADF" and nothing else happens -- I still get the heading indicator message and FSNav still doesn't lock on -- it just wants to fly me around in circles. My altitude, speed, vert speed, etc. auto pilot controls all respond fine.I'm flying the default 737-400 with the PSPanel 737NG panel installed, and I've never had this problem before. I've shut the glass instruments down and I'm using the backup horizon, following my course manually on the FSNav Map. Does anyone know what would cause a heading indicator error, and how I can correct it with this panel? I've tried to assign an open button on my CH throttle quad to the function but still no joy.Thanks in advance.

HelloHave you tried looking at the OPTIONS settings bit of FSNav? You will find in the FMS section various settings for how FSNav follows a flight plan and it maybe you have a conflict there ie you can select a fully automatic setup or half automatic or custom etc so for instance if you had a fully automatic setup where FSNav controls everything ie course, speed, heading,alt etc maybe when you are using FS Default ATC and its telling you to turn to a heading 360 degrees (as an example )you turn as requested to 360 but then FSNav (On fully automatic)immediately turns back to the course IT wants to follow instead and that may cause the "your heading indicator is set incorrectly message"Phew! Not sure if i understand that lot myself.:-) But maybe there is some food for thought there.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Andy: Thank you for the guidance -- I wasn't flying IFR, but you did get me thinking: I use the aircraft panel's auto throttle, heading selection, altitude and vert. speed dials until I reach cruise altitude, but I actually activate the auto pilot features by pressing the 'AP', 'HDG' and 'IAS' buttons in FSNavigator, just because it's easier than mouse clicking between the mini-panel, main panel and overhead. Do you think that would do it -- that would be easy enough to test, I guess.One other question about FSNavigator, if I might bend your virtual ear for a moment: for the life of me I have never figured out an easy way to change runways on approach when ATC finally assigns the active at the end of my flight. How do you normally do it?Thank you.

>Andy: Thank you for the guidance -- I wasn't flying IFR, but>you did get me thinking: I use the aircraft panel's auto>throttle, heading selection, altitude and vert. speed dials>until I reach cruise altitude, but I actually activate the>auto pilot features by pressing the 'AP', 'HDG' and 'IAS'>buttons in FSNavigator, just because it's easier than mouse>clicking between the mini-panel, main panel and overhead. Do>you think that would do it -- that would be easy enough to>test, I guess.>>One other question about FSNavigator, if I might bend your>virtual ear for a moment: for the life of me I have never>figured out an easy way to change runways on approach when ATC>finally assigns the active at the end of my flight. How do>you normally do it?>>Thank you.HelloAs with all these things its a bit difficult trying to explain and also to understand problems over the internet.Are you using FSNav purely to see where you are going its not actually a flight plan you have created?As for your last query i am not sure what you are asking,if ATC assigns you a runway to land why would you want to change to another runway.I personally only change runways(or approach and runway) if i want an ILS approach and ATC offers me a visual as i still find after god knows how many flights i still am trying to find the right combination of descent speeds,app speeds,flap combinations etc to reach my goal of making the perfect ILS app and landing every(or nearly)every time. Also sometimes its just a case of to much ale quaffing and i chicken out of the visual app(I have to say i am improving with visual apps though)for being over the limit for safe piloting.:-)PS If you are flying the default 737 could you not fly an ILS plan?PPS I am not sure about FSNav and how it handles VFR flight rules.PPPS Jim Robinson where are you?..you always seem to now the answer to these things.cheers Andy

>Are you using FSNav purely to see where you are going its not>actually a flight plan you have created?No, I'm using it to create a flight plan and "guessing" in advance at which runway I'll be assigned to at my destination.>As for your last query i am not sure what you are asking,if>ATC assigns you a runway to land why would you want to change>to another runway.What I mean is that I only guess the right runway about 35% of the time. On approach ATC seems to assign me a runway which is invariably nowher near my FSNav calculated flightplan/approach course. :-)>PS If you are flying the default 737 could you not fly an ILS>plan?Yes, but I still rarely get assigned to the "correct" runway that I've put in my flight plan.Chuck

>>Are you using FSNav purely to see where you are going its>not>>actually a flight plan you have created?>>No, I'm using it to create a flight plan and "guessing" in>advance at which runway I'll be assigned to at my>destination.>>>As for your last query i am not sure what you are asking,if>>ATC assigns you a runway to land why would you want to>change>>to another runway.>>What I mean is that I only guess the right runway about 35% of>the time. On approach ATC seems to assign me a runway which>is invariably nowher near my FSNav calculated>flightplan/approach course. :-)>>>PS If you are flying the default 737 could you not fly an>ILS>>plan?>>Yes, but I still rarely get assigned to the "correct" runway>that I've put in my flight plan.>>Chuck>ah HA! I think i know what you are saying.For instance when i create a flightplan (I only fly IFR )i would create from lets say KLAX TO KS LC i would only enter the airport IDs themselves i wouldn't specify a takeoff or landing runway.That way my flight starts from cold at a gate or cargo area i then get clearance from ATC and let it tell me which rnwy to takeoff from.I then taxi, takeoff and climb to my assigned altitude wait till ATC tells me to resume own navigation at which point i then click 'Fly Plan' in FSNav and continue merrily on my way.At the end of the flight just before descent i switch of 'Fly Plan'in FS nav and then follow ATC as it tells me to descend and gives me the various course and altitude changes etc its roughly at this point ATC assigns me my runway for landing.I think if you use FS navigator to fly the whole flight from rnwy to rnwy you will not be able to use the FS9 ATC.You just do your own thing and ignore ATC altogether takeoff from the runway you choose in your plan ,and then i believe FSNAV should fly the whole plan(including the runway of your choice for landing)PPS I am pretty sure FSNavigator can fly a whole plan including climbs and descents too landing automatically.(Minus ATC of course)cheers Andy

I'm flying the Lear right now and I'm getting an EMER BATTERY Master Warning light -- I think my original problem may stem from that. Somehow I may have turned off the generators on my default flight and it's been running off of the batteries, and the AP and radios go dead when that happens. Now how the heck did I do that? And how do I fix it?>I think if you use FS navigator to fly the whole flight from>rnwy to rnwy you will not be able to use the FS9 ATC.You just>do your own thing and ignore ATC altogether takeoff from the>runway you choose in your plan ,and then i believe FSNAV>should fly the whole plan(including the runway of your choice>for landing)I do, but, like you I take off, climb, descend and land on my own, only using FSNav for the middle, boring cruise time. It doesn't sound like there's any magic I missed so I'll probably just continue to scramble when I get assigned to a different rwy than the one in my plan. It certainly makes things interesting. I may post this question separately, just to see what others are doing.>PPS I am pretty sure FSNavigator can fly a whole plan>including climbs and descents too landing automatically.(Minus>ATC of course)>cheers AndyNot too well, Andy. Not too well at all -- it usually comes in about 200 or 300 feet too high, so I never trust it. I really appreciate the fact that it has all of the ILS frequencies right in it, and all I have to do is hover the mouse pointer over the end of the runway. Saves me from a lot of going back and forth from charts.As always, thank for taking the time to answer me.Smooth skies!Chuck

> <...> When I press the D key as instructed,>all I get is an audible warning that says "ADF" and nothing>else happens<...>Hello!This sounds to me as if you use FsPassengers. There the 'D'-key is by default assigned to set the ADF. If you press 'D' and '02355' (not the num-block) you will hear in spoken words 'ADF zero, two, three, five, five. Set and check' Means you just set your ADF radio to the frequency of 0235.5.Unfortunately the 'D' is also by Fs9 default the key which corrects the heading bug. Reassign it from the Fs9 settings menu to another key and you can go on...Mick!

You should be landing where the airport tells you to. other than that and you're working outside of the games design AND real life so, your solution is not really one that the mainstream would apply. To fix your batteries, go to the Cessna and turn on all the battery switches and set the cockpit to default. Then switch to your other plane and it will be setup correctly. How did you do it? Who cares really. Shxt happens and in Fs, we just fix it and go on. :)

>I'm flying the Lear right now and I'm getting an EMER BATTERY>Master Warning light -- I think my original problem may stem>from that. Somehow I may have turned off the generators on my>default flight and it's been running off of the batteries, and>the AP and radios go dead when that happens. Now how the heck>did I do that? And how do I fix it?>>>I think if you use FS navigator to fly the whole flight from>>rnwy to rnwy you will not be able to use the FS9 ATC.You>just>>do your own thing and ignore ATC altogether takeoff from the>>runway you choose in your plan ,and then i believe FSNAV>>should fly the whole plan(including the runway of your>choice>>for landing)>>I do, but, like you I take off, climb, descend and land on my>own, only using FSNav for the middle, boring cruise time. It>doesn't sound like there's any magic I missed so I'll probably>just continue to scramble when I get assigned to a different>rwy than the one in my plan. It certainly makes things>interesting. I may post this question separately, just to see>what others are doing.>>>PPS I am pretty sure FSNavigator can fly a whole plan>>including climbs and descents too landing>automatically.(Minus>>ATC of course)>>cheers Andy>>Not too well, Andy. Not too well at all -- it usually comes>in about 200 or 300 feet too high, so I never trust it. I>really appreciate the fact that it has all of the ILS>frequencies right in it, and all I have to do is hover the>mouse pointer over the end of the runway. Saves me from a lot>of going back and forth from charts.>>As always, thank for taking the time to answer me.>>Smooth skies!>>ChuckHello ChuckThere is a better way to get your ILS info than hovering over the runway.This is how i do it with FSNav.In the main screen at the top is your flightplan box and to the left of it a amaller box on the left of that smaller box put a tick in the little white square,now all you have to do is enter destination id of your airport press enter and the box below will show all destination airport info including all ILS frequencies(if available)now all you have to do is move your mouse over the relevant rnwy HOLD DOWN the mouse key and drag it below into the NAV1 box and it will automatically enter the correct frequency(i always enter the ILS frequency into both NAV1 AND TWO)cheers ANDY

>You should be landing where the airport tells you to. other>than that and you're working outside of the games design AND>real life so, your solution is not really one that the>mainstream would apply. Hi, Kimchoc. We are landing at the assigned, but when I do my initial flight plan in FSNav I have to guess which is the active -- and more often than not when I get within the 30 -25 mile range of the airport and get initial clearance from ATC, I've guessed wrong and have to try to recalc my approach, often from the opposite direction. Often FSNav then gets confused and can't recalc the flight plan, so I end up scrambling to figure it all out manually. I was wondering if anyone has come up with an easier, more elegant solution. Looks like they haven't.>>To fix your batteries, go to the Cessna and turn on all the>battery switches and set the cockpit to default. Then switch>to your other plane and it will be setup correctly. How did>you do it? Who cares really. Shxt happens and in Fs, we just>fix it and go on. :)Yup, that's what I thought was the only way to do it and sure enough when it loaded up the master ALT switch was off. Thanks for your input, yet once again, Kimchoc.Smooth skies!Chuck B.

>Hello Chuck>There is a better way to get your ILS info than hovering over>the runway.This is how i do it with FSNav.In the main screen>at the top is your flightplan box and to the left of it a>amaller box on the left of that smaller box put a tick in the>little white square,now all you have to do is enter>destination id of your airport press enter and the box below>will show all destination airport info including all ILS>frequencies(if available)now all you have to do is move your>mouse over the relevant rnwy HOLD DOWN the mouse key and drag>it below into the NAV1 box and it will automatically enter>the correct frequency(i always enter the ILS frequency into>both NAV1 AND TWO)>cheers ANDYI've tried that technique and my version of FSNav won't let me do that directly from that area -- I keep getting the "zero with strike through it" when I try to drag the runway into the NAV1 box. I first have to drag the runway to the existing flight plan and then drag it to the NAV1 box from there, so I've just been entering the freq. manually into the radio. Does yours allow you to do it directly from the list box? What version of FSNav are you running, if I may ask? I was hoping there was a way to drag the newly assigned runway into FSNav flight plan and have it calculate the new f/p approach, putting it all up on the map, with corresponding headings and altitudes for you. When I bought it, the home page said it would do that, but I've never been able to figure out how. ;( Thanks again, Andy!Chuck B.

Good call, Mick -- I didn't post that because I didn't think it was going to be relevant info! I had tried assigning the FS9 command to a free button on my CH Throttle Quad, but no joy. That's why I was so confused -- and there was no indication of any kind of a problem on the FSPanel's indicators or gauges anywhere! I'm really trying to "earn enough" in the sim to "buy" a better plane -- either the RFP 747 or PMDG model and in recent weeks I've been heavily penalized by FSPassengers for several flights, due directly to the "phantom button issue" defects in my new Saitek flight yoke system (which I've finally had enough of, and have since returned to Amazon!). Then, trying to reprogram the CH Yoke and Throttle quad properly has been slightly maddening in itself and since FSPassengers doesn't allow you to change ANYTHING mid flight without aborting the entire #### flight, this latest issue had almost sent me over the edge. ;-)I'm pretty sure my original problem has turned out to be an electrical failure and I hope I've fixed it for good (see below for solution). Thanks for your help, and also for pointing out an FSPassengers shortcut that I was only vaguely aware of.Smooth skies! Chuck B.

>>>Hello Chuck>>There is a better way to get your ILS info than hovering>over>>the runway.This is how i do it with FSNav.In the main screen>>at the top is your flightplan box and to the left of it a>>amaller box on the left of that smaller box put a tick in>the>>little white square,now all you have to do is enter>>destination id of your airport press enter and the box below>>will show all destination airport info including all ILS>>frequencies(if available)now all you have to do is move >your>>mouse over the relevant rnwy HOLD DOWN the mouse key and>drag>>it below into the NAV1 box and it will automatically enter>>the correct frequency(i always enter the ILS frequency into>>both NAV1 AND TWO)>>cheers ANDY>>>I've tried that technique and my version of FSNav won't let me>do that directly from that area -- I keep getting the "zero>with strike through it" when I try to drag the runway into the>NAV1 box. I first have to drag the runway to the existing>flight plan and then drag it to the NAV1 box from there, so>I've just been entering the freq. manually into the radio. >Does yours allow you to do it directly from the list box? >What version of FSNav are you running, if I may ask? >>I was hoping there was a way to drag the newly assigned runway>into FSNav flight plan and have it calculate the new f/p>approach, putting it all up on the map, with corresponding>headings and altitudes for you. When I bought it, the home>page said it would do that, but I've never been able to figure>out how. ;( >>Thanks again, Andy!>>Chuck B.HelloMy version is 4.7 the latest and last i think.As an experiment i just opened up FSNav entered EHAM in the list box and tried to drag an ils frequency into NAV1 and i wont let me.(As you say you get the 0 with line)It seems you can only do this when a flightplan has been loaded and you are flying it.By the way when you have created your plans are you exporting it into FS9Unless we get some joy with this issue i will leave you in peace. I am probably going to drive you nuts.cheers Andy

>>You should be landing where the airport tells you to. other>>than that and you're working outside of the games design AND>>real life so, your solution is not really one that the>>mainstream would apply. >>Hi, Kimchoc. We are landing at the assigned, but when I do my>initial flight plan in FSNav I have to guess which is the>active -- and more often than not when I get within the 30 -25>mile range of the airport and get initial clearance from ATC,>I've guessed wrong and have to try to recalc my approach,>often from the opposite direction. Often FSNav then gets>confused and can't recalc the flight plan, so I end up>scrambling to figure it all out manually. I was wondering if>anyone has come up with an easier, more elegant solution. >Looks like they haven't.>>>>>To fix your batteries, go to the Cessna and turn on all the>>battery switches and set the cockpit to default. Then switch>>to your other plane and it will be setup correctly. How did>>you do it? Who cares really. Shxt happens and in Fs, we just>>fix it and go on. :)>>Yup, that's what I thought was the only way to do it and sure>enough when it loaded up the master ALT switch was off. >Thanks for your input, yet once again, Kimchoc.>>Smooth skies!>>Chuck B.>>When you create your flight flightplan in FSNav you should make your DEP and ARR points the airports themselves NOT the runways EXAMPLE SCHIPOL TO HEATHROW Your plan will start with EHAM and end with EGLL that way you will not have to guess which runway is active and also with that plan EHAM - EGLL use the create auto route feature it makes things a lot easier.When you have done that SAVE the plan for future use and then EXPORT it to FS9 .After that close FSNav open the FS9 flight planner load the plan you have just exported from FSNav and you should be ready to go with no problems.cheers Andy>