Sign in to follow this  
ricardo296

Question about flight envionment and active sky

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

they don't conflict, but active graphics will overwrite the cloud textures and sky textures that FE installs if you let it. if you want to use FE clouds and skys, you have to turn off active graphics texture auto submission in the options of active sky.

Is there any benefit of using FE too? I use AS6 and thought it worked pretty well alone. Does turning off the auto submit and using FE improve things in your opinion?

Personally I don't see much difference in the cloud textures - but I also don't run my cloud textures at max resolution because of the framerate hit in busy areas like chicago, new york, etc. So there might be a bigger difference in the cloud quality if you ramp the quality all the way up. FE definitely produces prettier, more colorful sunsets, and the water textures and colors are a vast improvement over how they look without FE. Without FE, you can be under overcast skies in the middle of winter and lakes will still look all bright blue like you're in the bahamas, but with FE you have some darker, more realistic water colors to work with in the winter, and some prettier, brighter water color options to use in the summer and in tropical areas. Sun reflections off the water also look better with FE.

I actually use Active Sky v6.5 in FS9 and use Flight Environment. Then I install GE Pro ground textures, Real Environment (I don't use ActiveSky Graphics at all as it seemed to impact FRs more than RE, Ultimate Terrain, and Bird's Eye View in succesive layers, with SoftHorizons on top of them all and get an outstanding overall effect and good 24+ FPS (locked). No conflicts whatsoever among any of them.For my system all have combined to give a look that's actually better than FSX IMHO and it all runs significantly smoother.

>I actually use Active Sky v6.5 in FS9 and use Flight>Environment. Then I install GE Pro ground textures, Real>Environment (I don't use ActiveSky Graphics at all as it>seemed to impact FRs more than RE, Ultimate Terrain, and>Bird's Eye View in succesive layers, with SoftHorizons on top>of them all and get an outstanding overall effect and good 24+>FPS (locked). No conflicts whatsoever among any of them.>>For my system all have combined to give a look that's actually>better than FSX IMHO and it all runs significantly smoother.can you uninstall or disable ASG entirely? I'm not at home right now to check my computer but if I can do that and get a performance increase I'll do that.I can run with everything maxed out in cruise with the most detailed clouds and what not, but in a busy terminal area like chicago, new york, etc I need to dial something back when i'm using a complex addon aircraft (which is always). I love the traffic I have, I'll have 150 planes on the ground and in the air according to AISmooth, but with that much AI going on I have to dial something back, and the clouds I don't mind dialing back much.

Yes you can -- I've got it unchecked in AS 6.5 and have never used it after the first day.You can look at my specs and compare them to yours -- my computer is only about 6 months old and is a mid-range desktop for FS2004 ONLY -- not a gaming machine. With all that I've listed running, plus 3 flat screens, Radar Contact v4.0 on a WideFS machine (I run ActiveSky on the WideFS machine), FDC Live Cockpit, FS Passengers, and only 40.0% AI, I will only get between 12 and 14 FPS in the areas you mention. If I maxed out everything near Chicago or New York, and had stormy cloud weather from AS, I would probably be reduced to 4 or 6 FPS. Try the other suggestions mentioned above, and then now we all have to compromise somewhere -- mine is in dialing back the AI to 40%. You may simply be expecting too much.

>they don't conflict, but active graphics will overwrite the>cloud textures and sky textures that FE installs if you let>it. if you want to use FE clouds and skys, you have to turn>off active graphics texture auto submission in the options of>active sky.Silly question, but could you please describe the option in AS to adjust this setting ?ThanksGary

>>they don't conflict, but active graphics will overwrite the>>cloud textures and sky textures that FE installs if you let>>it. if you want to use FE clouds and skys, you have to turn>>off active graphics texture auto submission in the options>of>>active sky.>>Silly question, but could you please describe the option in AS>to adjust this setting ?>>Thanks>>Gary>the option is called "active sky graphics (ASG) auto submit" - you make sure it is not checkmarked...trelane - i wasn't saying i expected to be able to run everything maxed out in a busy area - i knew that wouldn't be possible on my machine (similar specs to yours, a little lower, but with only one monitor to run).