Sign in to follow this  
Guest gunnarmd

Maps2Bgl - Offline alternative to the program TileProxy

Guest gunnarmd

Hallo,I have loaded my freeware program Maps2bgl at Avsim some days ago:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...ils&DLID=120356I'm a fan of the program TileProxy. I don't have the program stably unfortunately work brought to this. I have therefore written program lines of my own. The result is Maps2Bgl. The program works independently of the FS. There is the description:http://library.avsim.net/zipshow.php?DLID=...pe=text%2FplainSome pictures from the Version for the FS9:Textures for ground Copyright © by Googlehttp://www.g-daehling.de/fs2004/media/images/maps2bgl/31.jpghttp://www.g-daehling.de/fsbilder/serie4/34.jpgA special variant is finished for the FSX in the meantime, too (Maps2Bgl_X). Such pictures are possible with that:Textures for ground Copyright © by Herold.athttp://www.g-daehling.de/fs2004/media/imag...aps2bgl/40x.jpghttp://www.g-daehling.de/fs2004/media/imag...aps2bgl/32x.jpgTextures for ground Copyright © by Googlehttp://www.g-daehling.de/fs2004/media/imag...aps2bgl/17x.jpghttp://www.g-daehling.de/fsbilder/serie4/21.jpgThere are all information about the program and still more pictures on my home page:http://www.g-daehling.de/fs2004/I wish you a lot of fun with the use of the programs. The programs have already been tested in three German forums. The errors are already killed.

Outstanding program, easy to use, great results. Thank you for this excellent offering.-Jeremy

Hi-To Jeremy or anyone else,- would you mind helping me out a bit? I'm very anxious to try this new program out as it looks great, but I'm not quite "getting" the rough translation of instructions to install this." - before the first start in Google Earth one creates a Polygon with four corner points"- not sure how to go about doing this."The Maps.ini is stored in the installation directory. This must be edited with an editor."- I know how to edit ini and config files, but just not sure what exactly to edit within this file.Sorry to be a pain, just looking for a clearer explanation.Thanks a bunch for the help given!-Tim

-certified speed-junkie and jet-junkie.

I'm struggling a bit myself with this but here's the ini edit.SERVICE=google.com VERSION=&v=24#SERVICE=v***********.**t VERSION=.jpeg?g=52BORDERS=1In Google Earth click add, then polygon. Draw your polygon, in view, snapshot current view, click OK. Then save place as KML.Hope that puts you on the right track. Off to work now so no more help till tomorrow.John

I have gotten as far as downloading the tiles but I keep getting "download not possible". As per instructions (as best as I can understand them)I have retried the download several times so that it can pick up where it left off in the Tilescache but still I get the same "download not possible".Is there a maximum amount of tiles that can be stored in Tilescache and thats it? If not, what am I doing wrong?So far no joy for me.Mike

Guest gunnarmd

Hallo Mike,The number of tiles in the directory TILESCACHE is arbitrary.One can in such a way solve the problems with the Download:1. Wait 10 or 20 or 30 (you must try) minutes2. Readme.txt --> "changing the own IP-number and continuing the download"3. use the second service (no restrictions):#SERVICE=g*****.*** VERSION=&v=26SERVICE=v******earth.net VERSION=.jpeg?g=52

I get it now! The restriction is from Google as far as how much can be downloaded in a certain period of time. Is that correct?Mike

Guest gunnarmd

That's correct.

Tim,1) Start by altering the .ini file to look like the example given in this forum.2) Load Google Earth and locate the area you wish to use for your scenery, in this example I have chosen Jacksonville, Florida.3) Select the "add" tab and click on "polygon" in Google Earth. You can move the menu out of your way so you have room to work.4) Highlight the area you wish to create a real-world texture for. Remember that the larger the area, the more time it will take.5) Save this area as a .kml file.6) Open the Maps2bgl program and click on the Select KML button. Load the KML file from wherever you saved it.7) Click on the Download Tiles button. This will place the images in a temporary folder where you can now alter them to your liking.8) Click on Create TGA + Batch button. 9) Start the Batch loader. This will compile the necessary scenery and texture folders.10) Transport the newly created folder to your addon scenery folder11) Go fly.If anyone sees an error in my explanation above, please correct it. I am having under the weather today and not feeling much into Flight Sim, but I wanted to make sure everyone knows how to use this program.-Jeremy

Gunnar,What a wonderful program. I just tried and the results were, for the most part, WONDERFUL! I do have two questions:1) Why was area created by program was much larger than specified? (see attachment)I selected a small area around my local airport of approximately 10 square miles/16x16 km, defined by the blue rectangle. (See attachment)I verified the coordinates for the top left/lower right matched that shown on the the map source (yes, I set the map source to display decimal coordinates). However, after compiling the data, the program created a scenery area about 10X larger than specified. I followed the procedure outlined by member 'rightseater'(Post #44358)which seemed consistent with your directions.2) What causes the following scenery anomalies? (see attachment)a) Two black rectangles in the scenery, not apparent in the source map, but present in the created TGA tiles.:( Along the entire eastern and southern border of the created scenery area is a 10-mile wide water textured strip.Thanks!Tawni

*** UPDATE ***By clicking on the option box in maps2bgl marked 'Borders with smaller resolution', the scenery area created is the same as the area I defined with the polygon. I still get the weird, water textured borders, though. Anyone else experience this?Tawni

Guest Ragnar45

Greetings,this program looks promising. I got as far as downloading the tiles, but the area I chose was too massive and the download was going to take a very long time. I cancelled the download and went back into Google Earth to chose another area. Then I noticed that the first polygon I created had left behind this blank area. Is there anyway to get the original terrain back?Thanks for any help.Regards,Rainer KlaussMadison, AlabamaEdit: Solution found! All I had to do was delete the area from "My Places." Everything was restored. Sure glad to know my Google Earth didn't have a chunk taken out of it!

Guest gunnarmd

>1) Why was area created by program was much larger than>specified? (see attachment)>I selected a small area around my local airport of>approximately 10 square miles/16x16 km, defined by the blue>rectangle. (See attachment)>I verified the coordinates for the top left/lower right>matched that shown on the the map source (yes, I set the map>source to display decimal coordinates). However, after>compiling the data, the program created a scenery area about>10X larger than specified. I followed the procedure outlined>by member 'rightseater'(Post #44358)which seemed consistent>with your directions.The program always rounds the coordinates of the KML file on tiles of the quantity 8x8 tiles of the zoom 15. Thus width of the TGA's of 2048 pixels results (to 2049 increases to avoid around lines in the Scenery). The height is scaled for the FS9 system. The roundness takes place in such a way that the coordinates of the KML file always in these tiles. Thus the area can being wanted somewhat larger also once than. In the FSX version one has to dazzle better possibilities inadvertent textures out. There one can make these surfaces simply white in the large tiles (BMP's 4096x4096 pixel) or draw blends into the TIF's with the same file name. In the FS9 version one can provide these surfaces with a paintprogram with any Texture.>2) What causes the following scenery anomalies? (see>attachment)>a) Two black rectangles in the scenery, not apparent in the>source map, but present in the created TGA tiles.>:( Along the entire eastern and southern border of the created>scenery area is a 10-mile wide water textured strip.The white strips are accurately in such a way contained in the loaded tiles. The black tiles are inserted whenever the Download of these tiles were not possible. In the directory TEMP one can see very good, which TGA's is affected by it. Solution see above. The edges with water are unfortunately a program error. So that I can find and eliminate these, can send their the KML concerned files to me. These errors arise only at certain places in the world. In German forums has I unite KML's received. Thus I could eliminate the errors. I thank you already once before.