Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joseph29

Scenery files help

I downloaded this scenery of GMML and it has files in it that go in the scenery/Afri/scenery folder of FS9. Does anyone know what these files would do? I don't really want to install the files then not really like the scenery. (I would probably not be able to find them again)The files are:FL943230FL944220HL943230HL944220HP943230HP944220RD943230RD944220ST943230ST944220UT944220

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I am assuming those files have a .bgl extension?Those are in the file name format of the default scenery files. If you do install them where you indicated DO NOT overwrite the existing files.The correct procedure would be to first move the default files to a back up folder located where you can find it. Name the folder something like "Hold for GMML" and locate it in scenery/Afri.Then you can move the new files in to scenery/Afri/scenery.If you do not like the results, reversing this procedure will return you to the default state.FYI the first 2 letters indicate the following-FL=Airport flattensHL=CoastlinesHP=Water polys (lakes)RD=RoadsST=StreamsUT=Power linesAs for the numbers- 9 for fs9, the next 4 digits indicate which LOD5 tile that file is for, and the 0 is just a filler. LOD 5 tiles are about 2.5 degrees of longitude and 3 degrees of latitude if my memory serves me correctly, so they cover quite a lot of territory.You should be OK if you take your time and are careful, there are many files with similar names.Hope this helps!

Thank you very much! That does help a lot! It is late here so I will try the scenery out tomorrow. :)And thanks for the explanation of what the 2 letters stand for in those files. I never knew what they stood for. What does the letters AP stand for? I have another scenery that has one of those files and the first 2 letters are AP. (I never did install the file)In case you or anyone is interested here is the screenshots of the scenery I asked about in the original post. It looks pretty good. http://www.libertysim.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18010And you can download the scenery here. http://www.libertysim.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18068

>Thank you very much! That does help a lot! It is late here so>I will try the scenery out tomorrow. :)>>And thanks for the explanation of what the 2 letters stand for>in those files. I never knew what they stood for. What does>the letters AP stand for? I have another scenery that has one>of those files and the first 2 letters are AP. (I never did>install the file)>>In case you or anyone is interested here is the screenshots of>the scenery I asked about in the original post. It looks>pretty good.>http://www.libertysim.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18010>>And you can download the scenery here.>http://www.libertysim.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18068>>I believe AP contains Airport data.If the scenery package instructs you to install such a file or files, you should do so, but as Joe so correctly pointed out, NEVER overwrite the original file. Always back them up by moving them as he suggested or by renaming them using a BAK or ORIG extension. That will effectively disable them without deleteing them so they can be easily restored as necessary.BAK or ORIG are not legitimate extensions so FS does not try to process any file with those extensions.Example: AP925240.BGL could be renamed as AP925240.BGL.BAKRemoving the BAK extension would restore it.If you do mess up and do overwrite files, the originals can be restored from the install disks but that requires a few extra steps.Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advise guys. The scenery is installed and everthing is backed up. The scenery looks very good, I would recomend it.

>I downloaded this scenery of GMML and it has files in it that>go in the scenery/Afri/scenery folder of FS9. Does anyone know>what these files would do? I don't really want to install the>files then not really like the scenery. (I would probably not>be able to find them again)>Hi, Well, if you don't want to install the scenery correctly, you may not install these files. But without them the terrain of the scenery won't be displayed as it should. (There may be some other problems also, but I didn't test the scenery without them). By the way, if you read the readme file coming with the scenery and follow its instructions, you'll see that all default files are backed up during the installation steps and may be restaured while uninstalling.