Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ed Lin

Max Number of Scenery Layers?

Guest Ed Lin

Ok, curiousity has got the best of me. I have 220 scenery layers in my FS9 scenery.cfg file including the default scenery layers. No real obvious problems but I was wondering:1. Is there was a limit to the maximum number of scenery layers possible?2. How many layers do you have including the default scenery layers?Thanks.

I read this same type question a long time ago. If I remember there as a limit but it was way up there. Something like 999. Now if you want to go ahead and disprove me, start adding! ;-)

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest ThrottleUp

430 here no problems as well :)

In FS2002 there was a "magic number" of scenery entries (it was 332 if memory serves). When you reached that number, FS2002 would randomly remove one entry (without warning) to make room for a new one.This restriction has apparently been removed in FS2004 and many simmers far exceed that number of entries and experience no issues other than the sim initially loads more slowly.However, in the language.dll for FS2004, there is the following error message - "SCENERY.CFG has too many sections in it. The maximum number of sections is about 1000. Click ABORT to Exit Flight Simulator." (That is in section 3933)This at least implies that if you exceed that number, you may be presented with that error message. So add away - at least until you get to 1000! PS - For those who may not know, the language.dll is the dynamic libary which stores most, if not all, of the various messages you see in FS2004 (error messages as well as informational messages such as Brakes, Overspeed etc.)Hope that helps.

1000, omg. I have 250 and that's already much for me...

Guest Ed Lin

Gee thanks folks. I guess I can just download and install scenery to my heart's content.

Guest ThrottleUp

A small tip - once you have downloaded and added all your new scenery and checked it out in the sim make a backup of the scenery.cfgQuick way is to just open the .cfg and copy-paste the contents into an email and email yourself or save it as a draft. Its got me outta trouble more than once when some programs have gone and messed up the cfg or I've inadvertently done something stupid :)

Guest Ed Lin

Fear not "Throttle Up" about the backup. I automate a weekly full backup and daily incrementals on my system which includes my flightsim directory.Though it's rare, pulling a file or two from backup in the past has saved me from total disaster more than once in the past. Thanks.