Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Higher res textures not loading in

Hey guys,I finally got around to trying TP out last night and I'm seriously impressed! Christian you have some serious programming chops man... I'm having an issue with it though:Basically the higher res versions of the images never load in once I'm past maybe a half a mile from the point where I load the sim. I'm pretty sure the tiles themselves are being downloaded, it's just that the sim doesn't actually update the blurrier low-res ones to higher res.I sat there with the sim paused over top of this type of thing for 30+ minutes and it never updated them to the really sharp high res ones you see when you first start.Like this:http://www.progressivetranscriptions.com/fsx/tp1.jpghttp://www.progressivetranscriptions.com/fsx/tp2.jpgThe only thing that fixes this is doing a full scenery refresh, but the problem's back in another half mile or so...My system's an Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 2GB and a GF7800GTX 256MB.Any ideas on how to fix this? I'd love to get it looking sharp and high res everywhere. This is easily the best representation of the Phoenix, AZ area I've ever seen as far as the color of the mountains and stuff.Thanks!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest cbuchner1

FSX RTM or SP1?A few people reported the FSX SP1 NEVER loaded textures in flight.I am getting some loading activity, but not enough to keep updatedfully in flight. TileProxy Beta 4 shows you "individual tiles per second" readings. This should be nonzero in flight.The higher the number, the better.Higher FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION and increased PerfBucket valuesand locked frame rates brought some improvement for me.But it's a general issue with SP1 that it fails to dedicate enoughresources to the texture loader.Christian

Christian,Yes I'm using SP1...As far as I can tell, unless I do a manual scenery refresh (which I bound to CTRL-R), the sim isn't loading higher res tiles as I get closer to them...It's my understanding from what Phil said on his blog that the fiber frame tweak doesn't work anymore on dual core systems - is that not the case when this type of thing is being used?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest banjoboy55

Hey,I am having exactly the same Problem!My system :Athlon AMD 64 X2 3800+2gb RamNvidia 7800GTX 256MBHelp needed.... :)Thanks in advance!

Same here, but with FS9!JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE..

Well I can't help but notice that we basically have the same system banjoboy... wonder if something's amiss here with the 7800GTX and AMD CPUs.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Guest Rob_man

Same problem here. Have had a couple of gos with SP1 but only way to get any TP tiles to load is to stop and reload (or at initial startup if LOD set to max). Haven't made time to fiddle with nvidia nhancer tweak people have said fixed blurries. TP is so good on FSX RTM and frame rates to ridiculously good have happily gone back. Bit of a worry for future. Was thinking of buying Columbia 400. Guess I'll have to wait a year or so until have an excuse to upgrade. TP + FSX RTM isn't that excuse though!RobAMD 4000+, 2GB, 6800ultra, Audigy 2ZS

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Yes, I see a pattern emerging with the AMD'sRe WOZ

Guest rbrown3rd

I have the same problem and an AMD processor. But, it seems that it would be more of an FSX problem than a CPU problem or the video card. I know my CPU and video card are bottom feeders in the ocean of hardware but I do believe it worked a bit better before SP1. Hope someone can come up with a work around.

Even more strange: deleted the cache folder and did a cleanup, but still my old textures show up.. puzzled here.. where are they stored elsewhere?JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE..

Guest JSPuonti

As far as I know, the cache folders are just temporary storage for JPG files downloaded from the service of your choice. Once downloaded, TileProxy does its wild magic and combines them into BGL files which are saved in a separate folder. Emptying the cache folders won't remove the BGLs which FSX uses to make the world look pretty (blurry).The "TileProxy Photoreal World" folder (where the BGLs are stored) is located at one folder level below your FSX folder. So, if you for example have your FSX installed here:C:GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XYou'll find the BGLs here:C:GamesTileProxy Photoreal WorldThis might also explain why despite reloading the scenery or waiting for hours won't clear the blurries up - TileProxy has already downloaded the textures it has deemed necessary and compiled them into BGLs. Maybe it hasn't been able to get a higher resolution texture at that particular time (bad connection, lots of traffic, etc) and has had to settle for a lower-resolution copy instead. Once that lower-resolution texture has made its way into the BGL, it's staying there because as far as TP is concerned, the texture has already been downloaded and does not need to be downloaded again (until you remove the BGL, at which point it is re-created from the cached, blurry files - unless of course you remove those aswell).This is just a theory, though. I don't actually know what kind of logic drives TP :)

In fact, it isn't the bgls which contain the photographic scenery, it is the .bmp files contained in the associated Texture folders.

>Yes, I see a pattern emerging with the AMD's>>Re WOZI'm on an E6600 and I'm having exactly the same problem, sadly.

Guest cbuchner1

And if FSX had actually accessed the BMPs to load a high MIP level, Tileproxy would have loaded the high res version in no time. But it seems to be FSX which is lagging behind in loading scenery.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

So is it grunt related then.? Anyone with and overclocked E6700 or a X6700, QX6700 or QX6800 having the problem ? - cause I'm seriously looking at a QX6800/8800GTX water cooled combo. You only live once.WOZ