Sign in to follow this  
Guest soberon

Vertical Sharp Lines

The /3GB switch will not work effectively unless you have SP2 or Acceleration installed. SP2 modified FSX.exe to allow the app to "see" more than 2GB of memory.
Thank you for the explanation, but I do have Acceleration installed. I just want to share my experience to those who has the problem and provide my solution to it.

"I bought my new gamer, a Dell 720 H2C."I have this system too. Installed Vista 32 and FSX runs much better. I'm thinking of moving up to the 64 bit version but that means wiping out my hard drive and reinstalling everything and I'm not too excited about doing that right now. Kept RAID0 though and have it o/c to 3.73 as you have done. I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed (180.48) and I recommend you get these as they definitely increase fps and make FSX run smoother."Maybe if enough of us submit problem reports to NV at least they may admit they have a problem."I started a thread over in the hardware forum this past year with exactly this in mind in regards to DX10 Preview issues. I asked everyone to submit a problem report and even provided the problem report link and exactly what to state when filling out the form. Not many took the bait and I was a bit disappointed (not too many people venture over to the hardware forum). Even Phil Taylor, formerly from Aces, posted and said it was a good idea. I believe Nvidia is aware of the DX10 issues but for some reason cannot fix them via the video card drivers. ATI has the same issues with their display drivers so it's not just an Nvidia problem. As I stated earlier in this thread (and several others), this spiking problem is NOT caused by the drivers but a memory problem. You'll find that thousands with Nvidia drivers installed do not have this spiking problem. It only happens on some machines when individuals tax their video and system memory (maxing out your sliders in FSX does NOT make the "eye candy" show up better as in many other games). You'll enjoy the game much more when you properly tweak your game AND system. In your case, as a minimum, make sure you have the /3GB switch installed for XP and, for Vista, the "increaseuserva" bcd edit enabled. There are many discussions on out of memory/oom issues so I won't add anymore to this here. OR, upgrade to the 64 bit versions of XP and/or Vista as it manages your memory much better (I don't have personal experience with this recommendation but have read numerous threads stating less memory problems with the 64 bit versions)."I took NickN's advice"This is obviously the best thing you can do and the best recommendation I can give you and you should follow his recommendations made earlier in this thread. Have fun with your Dell system!Best regards,Jim
Jim,I got this machine July 2007 and by this summer it will be 2 years old and ready for the kiddy pool, tech wise. I don't plan to switch to 64 on this machine. Maybe my next one. Simming is my hobby so it's like buying a new set of golf clubs. I started in 1988 on a IBM 286, amber monitor, 20MB HD, DOS1, and FS1 I had to give up smoking and use the money to upgrade from a 486M50, DOS6, to a P2, WIN95, machine.I have the spiking in DX9. I don't use DX10 because addon planes have white skins. When more are coded for DX10 maybe I will turn it on as I get better looking aircraft and higher FPS. My computer came with 2GB 1066 memory. I first got the spiking when I upgraded the 169.25 driver with the next version. When I rolled back the driver it went away. Nothing else was changed. I installed 2 more sticks of the same type memory and the /3GB switch in both XP and Vista. Same indications. The added memory turned off the OC and reverted my FSB from 1066 back to 800Mhz. NV said this was normal for 4 sticks. Removed all 4 and installed 2x2GB sticks. The FSB is back to 1066. Installed the next, next driver and got the spiking. Rolled back to 169.25 and it went away. I tried several tweaks per PhilT and NickN with no help. In my case, I am sure it is the driver. Lead Pursuit said the problem was in the new drivers and they could issue a patch to work around the problem. though they didn't explain the issue.Best computer I have ever had so I am enjoying it!Have FunDaveSystem:Dell XPS 720 H2CIntel Quad Core Extreme QX6800 @ 3.73GHz4GB (2x2GB) Corsair Dominator EPP 8500C5D FSB 800MHz @ 1066MHz2x160GB WD SATA Raptors, Sound Blaster X-FiNvidia 2x8800GTX 768MB SLI, Dell 2407WFP PanelXP driver: 169.21, Vista driver: 169.25Logitech Z680 5.1 Speakers, G5 Mouse, Saitek X52WinXP Media Edition SP3 on C: (SATA 0) w/ Internet/AV/Office/FS9/Falcon4 AFVista SP1 on D: (SATA 1) (Dual Boot) w/FSX3DMark06: 17,018/6992/7123/5667

Jim,I took your advice and installed the new 180.48 driver. Got the spiking, but no crashing, and my FPS was 70. I had set my frames to unlimited to see the FPS. Locked it at 30, as I usually do, and the spiking was gone. Took off from SEATAC and the flight over Seatle was much smoother. My FPS at SEA went from 22 to 27. My driver settings are: AF 16x, AA 8xQ, Super, Clamp, Render 2, VS force on, SLI off, PhysX on. My usual test is takeoff, in bad weather, from SEA, shoot a ILS into Vancouver, and an ILS on return to SEA. I had several driver quit reponding and one black screen. Turned it off and let it rest. Tried it again today and everything was fine. Since the spiking is gone and it is much smoother, I am going to keep the driver and see how it goes. Thanks for your input.Wonder if SOBERON got his fixed?Have FunDaveSystem:Dell XPS 720 H2CIntel Quad Core Extreme QX6800 @ 3.73GHz4GB (2x2GB) Corsair Dominator EPP 8500C5D FSB 800MHz @ 1066MHz2x160GB WD SATA Raptors, Sound Blaster X-FiNvidia 2x8800GTX 768MB SLI, Dell 2407WFP PanelXP driver: 169.21, Vista driver: 169.25Logitech Z680 5.1 Speakers, G5 Mouse, Saitek X52WinXP Media Edition SP3 on C: (SATA 0) w/ Internet/AV/Office/FS9/Falcon4 AFVista SP1 on D: (SATA 1) (Dual Boot) w/FSX3DMark06: 17,018/6992/7123/5667

Guest soberon

Wonder if SOBERON got his fixed?Well dave , I work around the problem, keep the sliders to the left, especially in areas with much trees or buildings, and airports. Use default airplanes on add on airports and addon airports with default planes. this way the processor and graphic card don't get overloaded. I honestly wander what kind op pc you need to play fsx with everything on max???? I think only Bill Gates himself has that.System:Dell XPS 720 H2CIntel Quad Core Extreme QX6800 @ 3.73GHz4GB (2x2GB) Corsair Dominator EPP 8500C5D FSB 800MHz @ 1066MHz2x160GB WD SATA Raptors, Sound Blaster X-FiNvidia 2x8800GTX 768MB SLI, Dell 2407WFP PanelXP driver: 169.21, Vista driver: 169.25Logitech Z680 5.1 Speakers, G5 Mouse, Saitek X52WinXP Media Edition SP3 on C: (SATA 0) w/ Internet/AV/Office/FS9/Falcon4 AFVista SP1 on D: (SATA 1) (Dual Boot) w/FSX3DMark06: 17,018/6992/7123/5667

Guest firehawk44
Jim,I took your advice and installed the new 180.48 driver. Got the spiking, but no crashing, and my FPS was 70. I had set my frames to unlimited to see the FPS. Locked it at 30, as I usually do, and the spiking was gone. Took off from SEATAC and the flight over Seatle was much smoother. My FPS at SEA went from 22 to 27. My driver settings are: AF 16x, AA 8xQ, Super, Clamp, Render 2, VS force on, SLI off, PhysX on. My usual test is takeoff, in bad weather, from SEA, shoot a ILS into Vancouver, and an ILS on return to SEA. I had several driver quit reponding and one black screen. Turned it off and let it rest. Tried it again today and everything was fine. Since the spiking is gone and it is much smoother, I am going to keep the driver and see how it goes. Thanks for your input.Wonder if SOBERON got his fixed?Have FunDave
Dave,I'm glad you were able to get FSX running again w/o the spikes and actually improved FPS w/the new Nvidia driver. It's nice to see the "Display driver has stopped responding and has restarted again" error is gone too. I leave my display driver settings set to default (the settings the Nvidia techs setup for FSX in their game settings). I did change the Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias to Clamp as you did though. That gets rid of most of the shimmering. I would be careful with that Supersampling setting as I've read many reports on this forum and the hardware forum where this causes some crashes in FSX. I have SLI and PhysX turned on. I have tried your display driver settings (AF16x, etc.) but I see little or no improvement of scenery textures in FSX. So, to conserve some memory, I keep them at default. My scenery sliders are set at conservative levels too w/autogen turned off. Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy FSX w/o any further crashes. I know how frustrating they can be.Best regards,Jim

I got the autogen spikes after adding the BUFFERPOOLS setting in my FSX.CFG file. I removed the setting and they went away.. at least for now.. I had them set to 40000000 .I have NV 8800 GTS with 768 MB ram.

I got the autogen spikes after adding the BUFFERPOOLS setting in my FSX.CFG file. I removed the setting and they went away.. at least for now.. I had them set to 40000000 .
Raise FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION to 0.4 or higher. Good luck!