Hello all,Just wondering, if I purchase ASA and have FS9 on XP 32Bit on 1 Hard Drive, and Vista 64Bit with FSX on another hard drive running in dual boot, will it work? Will it require 1 installation or 2?Cheers

Guest tmetzinger
Hello all,Just wondering, if I purchase ASA and have FS9 on XP 32Bit on 1 Hard Drive, and Vista 64Bit with FSX on another hard drive running in dual boot, will it work? Will it require 1 installation or 2?Cheers
I'm going to have a similar setup, and hoping that I don't need to buy multiple licenses.

I'm going to have a similar setup, and hoping that I don't need to buy multiple licenses.
Could someone enlighten us?

Guest tmetzinger
Could someone enlighten us?
Based on what I read in another thread....You can install ASA on multiple systems (and possibly up to three times). But only one installation can be in online mode at any given time. So it appears to me that a dual boot system would be no problem as there would only be one install online at any given time.It also seems to me that you could install ASA on your PC and on a networked machine and run it on either machine as long as it's only running online on one machine at a time.

Based on what I read in another thread....You can install ASA on multiple systems (and possibly up to three times). But only one installation can be in online mode at any given time. So it appears to me that a dual boot system would be no problem as there would only be one install online at any given time.It also seems to me that you could install ASA on your PC and on a networked machine and run it on either machine as long as it's only running online on one machine at a time.
Oh right ok, thanks for the info!

Guest Aviator4life

Well here's another twist for you on the dual boot systems . . .Like the op, I too have a dual boot setup. Currently, I have FS9 (AND Active Sky 6.5) installed on my XP Home 32bit OS/drive, while FSX is installed on my Vista Ultimate 64bit OS/drive.1) Since I am definitely wanting to get the upgrade discount for having already purchased AS6.5 (and WXre for the record), do I have to make my purchase from my XP OS/drive so that my installed AS6.5 will be recognized during the purchase process when eligibility for the discount is determined by the check for AS6.5?2) If the answer to #1 above is yes, will I then be able to transfer my download/installation of ASA to my Vista Ultimate drive? This is a very important question since my intended, primary use for ASA will be as a Wx engine for FSX.& 3) If at some time I choose to use ASA with both FS9 and FSX, will I be able to do so (not at the same time of course) with a single purchase of ASA? I would ASSUME the answer to this would be yes since one of the advantages of ASA (from the consumers perspective) would be that it can be used with both FS9 and FSX with only a single purchase (Essentially a usable Wx engine upgrade for both sims for a single price, for a single user - I do not advocate or support software piracy in any way,shape, or form!). But, I really don't want to assume anything, learned that lesson a looooong time ago, lol.I would very much appreciate a timely answer, as the answers to the above will determine whether or not I am going to purchase ASA, and if I am going to purchase ASA, I would like to do so asap.Best regards and happy holidays to all! :)

Hi All,I hope that I will answer everything here:1. With each license you purchase you can install and be in Online mode on one machine/partition. Up to 2 other installs can be in Offline mode permanently. You cannot switch back and forth and decide which install is going to be Online now. The first time you go Online that license is registered so you cannot use it again. It doesn't matter that only one machine is Online at one time.2. A possible solution is make a decision on one partition for FS "stuff". Install ASv6.5, ASX, FS04, FSX and then ASA-ASX version and then ASA will register one time and will work with FS04 and FSX.Thanks,

Hi All,I hope that I will answer everything here:1. With each license you purchase you can install and be in Online mode on one machine/partition. Up to 2 other installs can be in Offline mode permanently. You cannot switch back and forth and decide which install is going to be Online now. The first time you go Online that license is registered so you cannot use it again. It doesn't matter that only one machine is Online at one time.2. A possible solution is make a decision on one partition for FS "stuff". Install ASv6.5, ASX, FS04, FSX and then ASA-ASX version and then ASA will register one time and will work with FS04 and FSX.Thanks,
Hmm ok, just aswell I asked. Deinstalling both sims and moving them onto a single drive just isn't an option for me at the moment so I'll have to wait it out...It's a shame it can only be installed in online mode once really, I mean what if you have to reinstal? I can understand piracy protection, but surely the program should stop working when 1 key is used on 2 PCs at the SAME time? cheers

Jim I think your first point needs more clarification as you make it sound like only one of your possible three separate PC's with an install of ASA on it can ever be allowed to go online to get weather, or at least thats how I read it. What I actually think you mean is that only one PC can be in online mode at anyone time. You cant for example have the FS9 version online on one PC, whilst at the same time have the version on another PC with FSX on it online at the same time, you could use this second PC with FSX on it in offline mode though.Carrying on with the same example above, you cant mid session decide that the FS9 version will now be switched to offline mode and the FSX version be switched to online mode. I presume you have to close both versions of ASA down and reload them with the new configurations.Or have I got the wrong end of the stick Jim?

Cheers, Andy.

Guest Aviator4life

Ok, let me try to get my most important question answered again. My apologies if my original question was unclear/ambiguous.I have a dual boot machine. XP on one drive with FS9 and my valid installation of Active Sky 6.5. I have FSX installed on a completely different drive, which has Vista as the operating system.Do I need to make my purchase "from" my XP drive so that my Active Sky 6.5 will be recognized for the discounted price? If so, will I then be able to move my installation of ASA to my Vista drive/OS and use it strictly with FSX?For the record, if in fact, a single user with a single license CAN'T use ASA for both FS9 and FSX with full functionality (although NOT at the same time) then it is misleading to imply that it is so by not explicitly explaining this to potential customers who do in fact own valid copies of both FS9 and FSX. If the product is simply compatible with FS9 and FSX so that a larger market can be reached, that is a far different thing than a single user, with a single license, being able to use it for both their versions of MSFS.Big difference.But I will still buy this product IF I can get the discount for being a previous owner of Active Sky 6.5 given my situation and use ASA with ONLY FSX: Active Sky 6.5 and FS9 are installed on my machine on my XP drive/OS. However, I wish to install and use ASA primarily for use on the SAME machine, different OS, different version of MSFS (FSX). Can I do this single thing with only the purchase of a single license?Still waiting on a clear answer to this from a HiFi representative (as opposed to other users who have heard, or who have read in another thread somewhere, or others who think, etc.) . . .I'm not handing over my money on an assumption, but I do want to hand it over. Hard to believe it is this difficult to become a consumer of this product, who wants to use it for a valid and non-violating legally licensed purpose. GeeZ Louise! Let me get my ASA and payware flight environment textures installed! I'm willing to pay for it, I simply want to know it can be done before I make a costly mistake. Otherwise, I will have no choice but to go with REX for textures and the default FSX Wx engine until they hopefully get their Wx engine fixed. But I'd rather go with a company that has been focused on Wx engines for a long time rather than one who is just getting their feet underneath them.Can I get a clear answer please?Respectfully submitted,Best regards and happy holidays to all! :)

Andy,"Jim I think your first point needs more clarification as you make it sound like only one of your possible three separate PC's with an install of ASA on it can ever be allowed to go online to get weather, or at least thats how I read it. What I actually think you mean is that only one PC can be in online mode at anyone time. You cant for example have the FS9 version online on one PC, whilst at the same time have the version on another PC with FSX on it online at the same time, you could use this second PC with FSX on it in offline mode though."That is what I exactly mean: Each ASA license can be registered and ASA run online one time. You cannot have Computer A, and Computer B with the same purchase of ASA installed on both and then register ASA from both computers. Once you register Computer A, you cannot again register Computer B using the same license. This is just like Windows XP, you cannot install on two different machines and activate both copies with Microsoft. MS will tell you that your license is already activated, the same with ASA. Partitions will work the same way. And no, "at the same time" does not come into play, it will be "at any time" the second and third install cannot be Online.

Ok, let me try to get my most important question answered again. My apologies if my original question was unclear/ambiguous.I have a dual boot machine. XP on one drive with FS9 and my valid installation of Active Sky 6.5. I have FSX installed on a completely different drive, which has Vista as the operating system.Do I need to make my purchase "from" my XP drive so that my Active Sky 6.5 will be recognized for the discounted price? If so, will I then be able to move my installation of ASA to my Vista drive/OS and use it strictly with FSX?For the record, if in fact, a single user with a single license CAN'T use ASA for both FS9 and FSX with full functionality (although NOT at the same time) then it is misleading to imply that it is so by not explicitly explaining this to potential customers who do in fact own valid copies of both FS9 and FSX. If the product is simply compatible with FS9 and FSX so that a larger market can be reached, that is a far different thing than a single user, with a single license, being able to use it for both their versions of MSFS.Big difference.But I will still buy this product IF I can get the discount for being a previous owner of Active Sky 6.5 given my situation and use ASA with ONLY FSX: Active Sky 6.5 and FS9 are installed on my machine on my XP drive/OS. However, I wish to install and use ASA primarily for use on the SAME machine, different OS, different version of MSFS (FSX). Can I do this single thing with only the purchase of a single license?Still waiting on a clear answer to this from a HiFi representative (as opposed to other users who have heard, or who have read in another thread somewhere, or others who think, etc.) . . .I'm not handing over my money on an assumption, but I do want to hand it over. Hard to believe it is this difficult to become a consumer of this product, who wants to use it for a valid and non-violating legally licensed purpose. GeeZ Louise! Let me get my ASA and payware flight environment textures installed! I'm willing to pay for it, I simply want to know it can be done before I make a costly mistake. Otherwise, I will have no choice but to go with REX for textures and the default FSX Wx engine until they hopefully get their Wx engine fixed. But I'd rather go with a company that has been focused on Wx engines for a long time rather than one who is just getting their feet underneath them.Can I get a clear answer please?Respectfully submitted,Best regards and happy holidays to all! :)
Hi,Not a problem asking for clairfication:Partitions are viewed as separate machines. Think of it this way. Set 2 partitions up on a computer. Install the same copy of XP on both. Now, try activating both copies. What will happen? The first activation will work just fine, and the second? Well, that license has already been activated. Microsoft is clear about this and we are trying to be clear also.Each license is valid for one installation whether that be a computer or a partition. It doesn't matter if it is for FS04, FSX or both. You can install on 3 computers/partitions, but the other 2 computers/partitions must be run in Offline Mode at all times.A single user CAN use one purchase for both FS04 and FSX, if FS04 AND FSX are installed on the same machine/same partition. This is how we set up the license system. Now, the way you have things set up right now AND if you want Online Mode for both your FS04 and FSX, then you would need 2 purchases one for FS04 and one for FSX, only because you have 2 partitions. With FS04 and FSX on one partition you could purchase the ASX upgrade version for $30, install it once and then use ASA with both FS04 and FSX.Thanks!

Guest Aviator4life

Jim,First, and please correct me if I'm wrong here:It's NOT possible to purchase ASA via the Active Sky 6.5 upgrade option AND then use ASA (with full functionality) with FSX, GIVEN -I have a dual boot machine with XP Home, FS9, and Active Sky 6.5 on one drive, and Vista Ultimate and FSX on my second drive.TRUE or FALSE?Second, in your analogy of the OS licensing that you used, I would again say that HiFi is definitely taking a "what's best for the company in all cases approach" with regard to ASA having both FS9 and FSX compatibility. So everyone should understand that ASA's compatibility with FS9 and FSX is not an end user function with regard to online functionality. Which does bother me as I recall reading on your website's product description for ASA that it has been designed to interface with FSUIPC for FS9 and SimConnect for FSX to provide full functionality for both simulators. Don't talk about previous owner discounts either, because if I have to buy two licenses then it isn't much of a discount after all, is it?What you aren't saying, is that this dual functionality (in online mode) is only useful to HiFI in order to reach all users who might only use FS9 OR FSX on an exclusive basis. Clever marketing indeed.Now back to your analogy, I would substitute the flight simulator itself (FS9 or FSX) to a Windows OS. Further, I would substitute ASA as a Windows "Add-on", say a new and better email service than the standard Outlook Express (to wit the default Wx engine of FS9 or FSX). Again, Big DIfference.I know a work-around for my hardware configuration that will work for certain, but I am not sure I am willing to go through such hassle simply because HiFi wants to maximize their profits no matter how inconvenient it may be to an honest and long-time customer.Yup, I can reinstall FSX with all my add-ons for it on my XP drive and then make my purchase. Am I going to do that because there is no work-around possible - from your end - because I have a dual boot machine? I'm not so sure. But I am sure of my disappointment in your company's customer service if the best solution you have to offer customers such as myself is to buy two licenses. Maybe you'll be a little more customer friendly when you have more competition out there. I'll be hoping some other software developers come through soon. Too bad, it's been a nice run with FS9 and previous HiFi products (WXre and Active Sky 6.5) for me, suddenly buying your product is not such a "no-brainer" any more. No disprespect intended. And no, I don't already own REX either, but I have plenty of discretionary income to spend on products that warrant their purchase price. A shame really.Regards and Happy Holidays!

Guest Aviator4life

From the ASA product description posted on the HiFi website:"Universal FS9/FSX IntegrationWe