Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brucek

Trackir Pro With Track Clip

I just got TrackIR pro with the Clip, and have it working OK, apart from trying to coordinate head movements and pans in the VC. Are there any tips or hints on how to use TIR with FSX? One thing I have noted is that the pan appears to be too fast, so I'm thinking of editing the camera file for the VC. Any advice most greatfully accepted, and it might be that I just have to get used to using it :)Thanks, Bruce.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I just got TrackIR pro with the Clip, and have it working OK, apart from trying to coordinate head movements and pans in the VC. Are there any tips or hints on how to use TIR with FSX? One thing I have noted is that the pan appears to be too fast, so I'm thinking of editing the camera file for the VC. Any advice most greatfully accepted, and it might be that I just have to get used to using it :)Thanks, Bruce.
Before editing the VC Camera file (I'm not even sure that will work for what you want to do) try editing the TrackIR profile. If you have not created one specifically for FSX, it's probably using the Flight profile, or the default profile. The pan speed for each direction can be adjusted there.Start TrackIR by itself and then open the various views while you edit the profile. No need to be running FSX while you do that, the views will show you your actual head movement, and the movement that would be sent to the sim. Also, you did download and install the latest driver, right?Regards,...jim

Before editing the VC Camera file (I'm not even sure that will work for what you want to do) try editing the TrackIR profile. If you have not created one specifically for FSX, it's probably using the Flight profile, or the default profile. The pan speed for each direction can be adjusted there.Start TrackIR by itself and then open the various views while you edit the profile. No need to be running FSX while you do that, the views will show you your actual head movement, and the movement that would be sent to the sim. Also, you did download and install the latest driver, right?Regards,...jim
I've mapped a couple of functions on my yoke to help with my use of TrackIR - the first is the pause function that allows me to temporarily disable head tracking, useful for setting overhead panel settings and/or using other utilities such as EzDockWalk (a fantastic little program). I found this much better to use than the slow/fast function. The other is the re-center, that I use all too often as head tracking gets confused frequently as I look behind me or look at other displays on my other PCs. I have both functions mapped to my yoke. I used my yoke's macro capability to assign Ctrl-F12 and Ctrl-F11 for those, and disabled the corresponding key maps in FSX to avoid conflicts. It's not easy finding key combinations that aren't already used for something else, and I don't think the current version of the TrackIR software can use DirectX buttons directly. We need more function keys!Cheers,Etienne

Hi Bruce,You have the best hardware ever designed for Flightsim. Go to the 'Natural Point' Web Site and download a profile called 'Optimized Flight'. This setting will transorm your TrackIR4 experience. ;)

Setting Track IR as a high priority (-hp) on the shortcut can also help, it adds some smoothness to the tracking.

Make sure you have the most up-to-date version of the software, as it has the most, and in my opinion, best pre-made Profiles.I made my own custom profile by hand. It's pretty easy, just follow the instructions to click and drag on the graph. However, my custom profile ended up being very close to the pre-made Progressive profile, so that one is my favourite. You should experiment to see what you like best, as everybody has different tolerances and tastes. Jeff ShylukAssisting Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Hi Bruce, as someone suggested, until you get used to it, use 'precision' mode for a while, and also get that 'Optimized Flight' profile.But believe me, once you get used to TrackIR, you will be using the regular mode all the time. TrackIR is very disorienting at first....give it time....you will learn to make very small head movements, instead of swinging your head around as you usually did before.If you start messing with profiles, believe me, you are going to get frustrated by setting too much 'null zones'. I would simply let yourself get accustomed to the unit instead of creating big profile changes.If you use a yoke or 'stick', if possible, map a couple of buttons for zoom in and zoom out, as it is nice to have these commands at you fingertips while flying. Personally, I use voice commands, so 'still my head' movement, and zoom with voice commands, which works out great.Well.....you are going to be hooked now....you will never be able to use FS without TrackIR ever again. :( Enjoy....but be patient...you will get used to it.

Thanks everyone for the excellent responses here.Replying to the vatious posts above:-I have the newest version of the s/w, thanks, I did that when installing. -I haven't yet tried the F6 key and willl do so tonight, thanks.-I have the Pause and Recenter keys mapped to my yoke, I soon found out that this was a necessary step!-I have not yet tried the "high priority", although I have smooth movement, just totally unaccustomed to the head movement and getting myself a little confused with it- after 2 whole hours of using it! :)-I have the profile mentioned and have tried it once tonight and found it to be an improvement, thanks.Thanks again, I think I just have to get used to using it, but I am having fun!Bruce.

Bruce,Just a few more options/uses that will come natural to you as time goes on.1. I use the six axes freedom to raise and lower my viewpoint within the cockpit. Lift up off your chair and then hit center. When reseating, you will find that you now have what many developers call an "ifr panel view". You can do the same in reverse and get much more visibility out of the P-47 and P-51 during taxi and takeoff operations. Once in level flight, sit normal and click recenter. (The Cessna 182, 206 and 210 instrument panels really impede looking out of the airplane; in real life as well as in the sim. It seems that I always have an "ifr panel view" with them. So I scrunch down in my chair, hit center, and then sit back up straight. Instant "vfr panel view".)2. With the older units I found that turning the unit on and off with a hot-key on the yoke/stick was necessary. Looking around in order to find the pencil on my desk would upset the unit. Easier to shut off and on. But with the active tranmitter on my hat clip, I can move my head around with no limitation and when back and centered, so is my view in the cockpit. I just did not wish to "waste" a very valuable button on the yoke. I have far too many other functions I wish to use them for. Center/recenter for me on the yoke, everything else on the keyboard.3.I usually don't use a headset and mike when simming. So find an old hat and after measuring a little, make a slit that will permit you to place a portion of the transmitter clip inside the hat band. So now I have a hat with the clip attached. If I want to use headphones and mic, just put them on over the hat. 4. My flight simming is done in a room that permits the sun to peek in around the blinds in the afternoon. And at certain times of the year, that angle was such that some reflections would come off the hat that I had used in item 3 above. They would cause the tracker to jump and become erratic. So the Arkansas Razorbacks hat with some silver thread in the emblem got pitched and I bought an all black hat. Problem solved.And as all of the previous contributors have said, just use it. After awhile it will become second nature. Of all of the purchases that I have made over the years, the tracker with hat clip is by far the one that has added an immersion affect to flight simming. Bar none.Kingfish :(

One more tip if your using the Vector clip............Get your wife/girlfriend to put a stitch through the centre of the clip while on your cap (I use a golfers peak) and that will prevent the clip from jumping off your peak at an later time?They can be damaged when hitting the floor and being trodden on inadvertantly ;)Incidently, I use the 'Mouse 3' button to pause my view. It's easier while using the mouse to adjust your settings. Enjoy ;)

One more tip if your using the Vector clip............Get your wife/girlfriend to put a stitch through the centre of the clip while on your cap (I use a golfers peak) and that will prevent the clip from jumping off your peak at an later time?They can be damaged when hitting the floor and being trodden on inadvertantly ;)Incidently, I use the 'Mouse 3' button to pause my view. It's easier while using the mouse to adjust your settings. Enjoy ;)
Thanks Dave and Kingfish, I appreciate the additional info.I have already figured out the panel view (VFR/IFR) and love it, thanks.But I had never thought of using the "Mouse 3" button, this is perfect and will free up another yoke button, thanks again!Thanks, Bruce.