Sign in to follow this  
Krister

A couple of issues

I bought FS2Crew for PMDG MD11 FS9 yesterday and of course tried it immediately. I did however experience a couple of problems that I need to ask about.1. The engine start pop up you get when clicking on the hotspot on the throttle does not appear. That is the fuel control switches and the small ignition panel. Instead I get the SD panel and the DU for that. Before I installed FS2Cre I didn't experience this.2. In the FS2crew panel I had set the approach flaps to be used to 35. The FO read out 35 too but the actual flap setting was 28 which wasn't enough for the speed. I tried lowering the flaps a notch with F7 which resulted in the FO initiating a Go around. During the whole flight I hadn't touched the flap lever and I didn't notice the discrepancy in any other stage than approach. What could have been the cause?Apart from that it seems to be a very nice release! Perhaps it gets a bit repetitive but then again that is what following checklists is all about!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

I bought FS2Crew for PMDG MD11 FS9 yesterday and of course tried it immediately. I did however experience a couple of problems that I need to ask about.1. The engine start pop up you get when clicking on the hotspot on the throttle does not appear. That is the fuel control switches and the small ignition panel. Instead I get the SD panel and the DU for that. Before I installed FS2Cre I didn't experience this.2. In the FS2crew panel I had set the approach flaps to be used to 35. The FO read out 35 too but the actual flap setting was 28 which wasn't enough for the speed. I tried lowering the flaps a notch with F7 which resulted in the FO initiating a Go around. During the whole flight I hadn't touched the flap lever and I didn't notice the discrepancy in any other stage than approach. What could have been the cause?Apart from that it seems to be a very nice release! Perhaps it gets a bit repetitive but then again that is what following checklists is all about!
Hi Krister,1. I just tried to reproduce that using both the 2D and Widescreen cockpit.It works for me, so I'm not sure what to say. Also, FS2Crew does not tamper with the MD-11's internal code or clickspots, so I might suggest trying it again (also try de-activating the FS2Crew panel CFG via the FS2Crew Start Center to confirm that it only happens with FS2Crew loaded).If I had to guess, though, did you by chance install any programs after installing FS2Crew that modify the panel.cfg file by adding other gauges to it (PFE, Activesky, etc).2. I can't reproduce that I'm afraid. To guess, are you running any hardware that could be sending signals to the simulation which might over-ride FS2Crew's flap commands? Also, in order to put the aircraft into Go Around mode, you'd need to hit the Red Button. Manually dropping the flaps with F7 should not prompt the FS2Crew FO to put the aircraft in GA mode unless you've tied the Red Button to the F7 key on your keyboard.3. Repetitive: FS2Crew models airline flying in the most realistic way we possibly can within the confines of a desktop computer. Yes, it's boring. Yes, it's routine. Yes, it's repetitive. It ain't an interpretive dance. :( Cheers,

1. The engine start pop up you get when clicking on the hotspot on the throttle does not appear. That is the fuel control switches and the small ignition panel. Instead I get the SD panel and the DU for that. Before I installed FS2Cre I didn't experience this.
In the FSX version of the MD-11 there are clickspots near the throttle for both the fuel control switches and the SD panel. They are slightly illogical as the fuel control switches appear if you click on the SD panel that is partially visible between and below the handles with the throttles in the idle position, while the SD appears if you click on the throttle handles themselves.I don't have FS9 and the clickspots may be differently placed, but I'd bet that both are present in that general area. There are tooltips that show which panel will be opened.Tom

Hi Krister,1. I just tried to reproduce that using both the 2D and Widescreen cockpit.It works for me, so I'm not sure what to say. Also, FS2Crew does not tamper with the MD-11's internal code or clickspots, so I might suggest trying it again (also try de-activating the FS2Crew panel CFG via the FS2Crew Start Center to confirm that it only happens with FS2Crew loaded).If I had to guess, though, did you by chance install any programs after installing FS2Crew that modify the panel.cfg file by adding other gauges to it (PFE, Activesky, etc).2. I can't reproduce that I'm afraid. To guess, are you running any hardware that could be sending signals to the simulation which might over-ride FS2Crew's flap commands? Also, in order to put the aircraft into Go Around mode, you'd need to hit the Red Button. Manually dropping the flaps with F7 should not prompt the FS2Crew FO to put the aircraft in GA mode unless you've tied the Red Button to the F7 key on your keyboard.3. Repetitive: FS2Crew models airline flying in the most realistic way we possibly can within the confines of a desktop computer. Yes, it's boring. Yes, it's routine. Yes, it's repetitive. It ain't an interpretive dance. :( Cheers,
Thanks for your prompt answer!As for no 1) I have only installed Maddog 2008 after I installed FS2Crew so I don't think so. Anyway, it's not a big deal since I mostly fly in VC mode anyway. I'll try your suggestion and de-activate fs2crew and see what happens.2) I do have a Saitek Pro Flight setup with extra throttle where one axis is assigned to flap control. I didn't touch it from starting msfs to getting the go around but it can definitely be the culprit.I just figured that since the flap and slats settings were correct during the other stages it MIGHT have been something else. Regarding iniating Go around mode by hitting the red button, I'm quite sure I at a much earlier point when I was still up in cruize somehow managed to tangle with the go around mode. At the point when I got the Go around call out I hadn't done anything but hitting F7 to lower the flaps one more notch, but it's understandable that if I somehow mess up the order of actions earlier, it can have consequences down the line. This was only my second attempt at doing a flight and I just followed the "bare minimums tutorial". 3) Regarding my "being repetitive" comment, your response was my point too (which I know you understand). It's a different but more realistic way of flying (I mean compared to how you usually fly your heavy on your computer all alone). Fs2Crew, VATSIM and add-ons like AES really lift MSFS to another dimension!Anyway, back to reading the tutorial and new tries again. It's a bit too optimistic to believe one can nail it after two attemps, hardly having read the manual and doing the flight at three AM! :) As long as I'm prepared for the Super Bowl fly-in to VATSIM on the 31th!Thanks again and have a great day!BRKrister
In the FSX version of the MD-11 there are clickspots near the throttle for both the fuel control switches and the SD panel. They are slightly illogical as the fuel control switches appear if you click on the SD panel that is partially visible between and below the handles with the throttles in the idle position, while the SD appears if you click on the throttle handles themselves.I don't have FS9 and the clickspots may be differently placed, but I'd bet that both are present in that general area. There are tooltips that show which panel will be opened.Tom
The clickspots are actually located in the same place in both the fsx and fs9 version. I'm sure I'll get it working though and as I said, I usually fly the bird from VC anyway, well not perhaps during cruise but at least on the ground.Thanks for replying!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Hi Krister,What I recommend is flying the tutorial flight to the letter. That way I know we're doing the same thing.As for clickspots: That might be one for PMDG. FS2Crew does not add clickspts to the MD-11 panel.(The two clickspots that FS2Crew uses to open the Main and Secondary Panel are actually built right into the PMDG aircraft... PMDG added them directly for me).Cheers,

Hi Krister,What I recommend is flying the tutorial flight to the letter. That way I know we're doing the same thing.As for clickspots: That might be one for PMDG. FS2Crew does not add clickspts to the MD-11 panel.(The two clickspots that FS2Crew uses to open the Main and Secondary Panel are actually built right into the PMDG aircraft... PMDG added them directly for me).Cheers,
Got everything working now - also the clickspot. Don't know what happened since I certainly have been able to find the right spot earlier, but it doesn't matter now. I'm now inbound KLAX from KORD on Vatsim and enjoying every second of it!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Got everything working now - also the clickspot. Don't know what happened since I certainly have been able to find the right spot earlier, but it doesn't matter now. I'm now inbound KLAX from KORD on Vatsim and enjoying every second of it!
Kirster,Glad you got it sorted on your own :( You had me scratching my head there :( Cheers,