Sign in to follow this  
davidv

xPOI or FSDiscover?

Just curious which POI program is better, xPOI or FSDiscover and why? Any comments are appreciated.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just curious which POI program is better, xPOI or FSDiscover and why? Any comments are appreciated.
I'm curious myself.I just noticed they have updated fsdiscover ! Anyone bought fsdiscover ?Thanksvic

I had to choose between these two a long time ago and went for FSDiscover... I forgot why, though... ;) Maybe it was because FSDiscover is easier to edit things with while xPOI requires all kinds of programs or websites... Or maybe it was because you can't edit anything at all in xPoi...? Or maybe the signs and arrows in xPoi are a bit too much...? Well, I forgot. I like FSDiscover but I hardly use it anymore... Seeing all the real names of places and so on is fun for a short while, but when the scenery shows nothing where there should be a village, it's just not that funny anymore. I kept on using it for quite some time in order to find the airport I was looking for, but now I always use Plan-G to create flightplans that have a runway fix which aligns me to any runway I want to, and I fly the Kodiak which shows me the runways on the GPS screen, so... I don't use FSDiscover at all anymore... In the end all those names in colors floating in the sky just spoils the idea of really being there.

because FSDiscover is easier to edit things with while xPOI requires all kinds of programs or websites... Or maybe it was because you can't edit anything at all in xPoi...?
XPOI requires only one thing to edit its database: a web browser (well, a free registration to Geonames.org as well) When you edit/fix/change a point, it will be immediately available to anyone, because you are editing it "live" on the internet. The opposite is also true, every edit that every other user makes to it, will appear to you without doing anything special, since the data is always accessed online. There's no database in XPOI, the database is the one maintained by the user's community at Geonames.org, and the community is not just Flight sim people, it's everyone with an interest in GIS application and because of this, fixes appears on a daily basis. Just as an example, this is the log of the fixes made today, in the last 2 HOURS:http://www.geonames.org/recent-changes.htmlAnd they are all already available to any XPOI user, a few minutes after the edit is made. No chance to get updates like this if the product came with an internal offline database. The database is what makes or breaks any software that has to handle geographical data. When we released XPOI, the database contained 8 millions of points, today it's already over 10 millions and the best part is, every XPOI user is 100% fully updated without having to download anything.And, there's Wikipedia (with an integrated internet browser that works even in FSX Full Screen mode) info on top of that, which just adds to the geonames data.Of course, the side effect of this, you need to be constantly connected to the internet to use XPOI, which is understandable, since the database is live on the interneet. Same as Google Maps, basically...