Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sharrow

FSX + Addons install to a seperate HDD

Hi thereWith an ever expanding collection of addons it is time for me to move FSX from my 150GB Raptor C drive to its own dedicated 300GB VRaptor HDD (let's say it will be the D drive). This will be a re-install from scratch on XP Pro SP3.I have the following questions:1. Is there anything I need to do prior to installing FSX on the D drive (for example create a Program Files folder) or will the FSX installation process take care of all of this as long as I point the installation to the D drive?2. I will be installing both Acceleration and the relevant SDK's. Anything here to watch out for with regards to FSX being on D? I am clear about the install order and run default flight after each install as per Nick N's guide.3. From there I have tons of addons! This is not about listing them all here but I have read about some needing to be on the C drive? These are the ones I am not clear about: UTX and GEX, FSGlobal2008 and FEX.4. What happens if the C Drive is formatted for example? I presume that a lot of FSX related registry entries, dll's and the like are kept on the C drive irrespective of where FSX is installed - is this correct?5. Once everything is installed any recommendations on how best to image the install and back it up? What are the limitations of such an image, if any? Is this even worth it?6. Any other tips anyone has with regards to installing FSX and addons on its own HDD will be most welcome!Thanks in advance.Konrad

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi thereWith an ever expanding collection of addons it is time for me to move FSX from my 150GB Raptor C drive to its own dedicated 300GB VRaptor HDD (let's say it will be the D drive). This will be a re-install from scratch on XP Pro SP3.I have the following questions:1. Is there anything I need to do prior to installing FSX on the D drive (for example create a Program Files folder) or will the FSX installation process take care of all of this as long as I point the installation to the D drive?2. I will be installing both Acceleration and the relevant SDK's. Anything here to watch out for with regards to FSX being on D? I am clear about the install order and run default flight after each install as per Nick N's guide.3. From there I have tons of addons! This is not about listing them all here but I have read about some needing to be on the C drive? These are the ones I am not clear about: UTX and GEX, FSGlobal2008 and FEX.4. What happens if the C Drive is formatted for example? I presume that a lot of FSX related registry entries, dll's and the like are kept on the C drive irrespective of where FSX is installed - is this correct?5. Once everything is installed any recommendations on how best to image the install and back it up? What are the limitations of such an image, if any? Is this even worth it?6. Any other tips anyone has with regards to installing FSX and addons on its own HDD will be most welcome!Thanks in advance.Konrad
Hi Konrad,I have always had FS9/FSX on their own drive and there are no negative issues whatsoever. How big is the rest of your XP installation? Would it make sense to do some spring cleaning and start out fresh with everything, ie reformat and reinstall XP? Not a bad idea if you want the best performance possible. XP will register FSX's installation on your D: drive and so all addons will look for FSX there. I don't typically install standalone addon on the FSX drive, but that's just my choice. Today's drives are so large I don't have any reason to install other products on the extra drive. I DO assign various runtimes with different processor affinities for known reasons. Anyway, not much to it. I actuallly have TWO installations of FSX: one to XP/SP2, the other to Vista 64 just to compare. Each install of FSX is on its own drive, so I hav FOUR drives running. Nuttin' to it. As for images, I don't use them, but perhaps should :( Noel

One thing to keep in mind, is that you do not have to have all of FSX on the same drive.You could start by leaving FSX where it is, but moving a chunk of add-on scenery to the new drive. Or even add-on aircraft.The scenery.cfg file would have to be updated to point to the new location for the scenery and/or in fsx.cfg you would have to define additionalpaths to the second aircraft folder..

Hi Noel, BertThanks for the tips so far! I am getting the overall sense that installing FSX onto a seperate HDD is not exactly rocket science but I just want to avoid any stupid mistakes as installing the almost 150GB of FSX + addons takes forever.I had my last FSX installation spread across C and D drives but it was still impossible for me to keep C from going over 70% capacity which ultimately resulted in a noticeable drop in performance and more in-game stuttering. So this time around its a dedicated 300GB VRaptor on SATAII. Would it have any further benefit if, for example, I was to install FSGlobal2008 to a 3rd drive (say E) - in theory allowing the loading of mesh from a different source to where everything else is coming from?Looking forward to any other answers.Konrad

Hi Noel, BertThanks for the tips so far! I am getting the overall sense that installing FSX onto a seperate HDD is not exactly rocket science but I just want to avoid any stupid mistakes as installing the almost 150GB of FSX + addons takes forever.I had my last FSX installation spread across C and D drives but it was still impossible for me to keep C from going over 70% capacity which ultimately resulted in a noticeable drop in performance and more in-game stuttering. So this time around its a dedicated 300GB VRaptor on SATAII. Would it have any further benefit if, for example, I was to install FSGlobal2008 to a 3rd drive (say E) - in theory allowing the loading of mesh from a different source to where everything else is coming from?Looking forward to any other answers.Konrad
Only trial and error will show if there is a noticeable benefit. I run FSX on it's own dedicated drive, becausein theory, it improves performance and also because it is easier to keep things organized and defragged.Others fly happily with everything on a huge C: drive... go figure.

I decided to follow NickN suggestions and get rid of RAID 0 and setup XP 32 on first 160GB Raptor and Vista 32 on the second (dual boot).Turned off RAID in the BIOS and turned off SATA 1, and turned off SLI. Used PM to set up 3 partitions CDE. Booted to XP CD and formatted all three. Installed XP on C. Installed all updates incl SP3. Installed Falcon 4 AF on D and it works ok. Arhive stuff and docs on E.Turned on SATA 1. Used PM to set up one max partition. Installed Vista to C. Installed all updates incl SP1. Installed FSX in C:\Games, flew ok, activated, installed Accel, flew ok. Activated Vista.I tried the last 2 NV drivers but had to go back to 169.25. Had tearing textures and vert black bars when external panning with unlimied. No bar spiking when locked at 30. I am trying the 180.48 driver since it is the only one that doesn't have a distortion bar on pitch change or turns.FPS ~50 away and 23-28 at KSEA ramp. Locked at 30 and everything is smooth. Sliders full right and water low 2X, DX9, Traffic 60%. DX10 gives me >100 FPS away but has flashing textures and Non-FSX aircraft are all white, so I use DX9. Setup your video as NickN suggests.I have a 160GB HD dedicated to (bare) install of Vista Prem. 32 and FSX. This was recommended by NickN and works great for me. I use XP for internet, MS Office, and older flight sims. Having no software on Vista that wants to communicate with the mother ship, and no AV, makes FSX run very smooth.My next machine will have the next 64 bit OS. Might be the last one unless we get better news on the future of flight sims.DaveSystem:Dell XPS 720 H2CIntel Quad Core Extreme QX6800 2.93 @ 3.73GHz4GB (2x2GB) Corsair Dominator EPP 8500C5D FSB 800MHz @ 1066MHz2x160GB WD SATA Raptors, Sound Blaster X-FiNvidia 2x8800GTX 768MB SLI, Dell 2407WFP PanelXP driver: 169.21, Vista driver: 169.25Logitech Z680 5.1 Speakers, G5 Mouse, Saitek X52WinXP Media Edition SP3 on C: (SATA 0) w/ Internet/AV/Office/FS9/Falcon4 AFVista SP1 on D: (SATA 1) (Dual Boot) w/FSX3DMark06: 17,018/6992/7123/5667