Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest JollyRoger

BGLComp doesn't create a BGL...

Hi all!I downloaded and installed BGLComp 2 from the MS website.Now when I drag-and-drop a xml file on BGLComp.exe a DOS window opens for some microseconds (impossible to read anything) and then nothing happens - no BGL is created.I really don't understand that... I have the mdl file in the same folder as the xml and BGLComp.exe / BGLComp.xsd! The mdl file also has the correct file name.Some time ago (before I did a full WIN reinstall) I did it exactly that way and everything worked! I don't see what should be different now.Thanks for help, I really need it!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello.I suggest that you open a MSDOS window, go to the folder where you have BGLCOMP and then type a command like this:U:\VS2005_Projects\Test1\bin\Debug>bglcomp my_xml_file.xmland you will be able to read the error outupt and, may be, get the reason of the problem.Kind Regards,Luis

Hi LuisThank you very much for the hint. I did what you said and could read the error message!The error was something about 'xml unable blablabla... not found' and then I asked my bro Google about this message and he told me to look for some runtime called MSXML4, what I did.And now after installing MSXML4... BGLComp works! :( Many thanks for your useful help! :( Now I can put the rope back where it belongs... :(

Hi LuisThank you very much for the hint. I did what you said and could read the error message!The error was something about 'xml unable blablabla... not found' and then I asked my bro Google about this message and he told me to look for some runtime called MSXML4, what I did.And now after installing MSXML4... BGLComp works! :( Many thanks for your useful help! :( Now I can put the rope back where it belongs... :(
hii have the same problem and have reinstalled my msxml4 (using custom installation-i unmarked everything). but i still cannot compile bgl files. i am not a techie person but i was able to access the msdos window and it shows:c:\documents and Settings\"user">after this i typed (as instructed by luis)U:\VS2005_Projects\Test1\bin\Debug>bglcomp my_xml_file.xmland i get this response "The system cannot find the drive specified"can you help me?thanks

Hi Jollyroger....<<Now when I drag-and-drop a xml file on BGLComp.exe a DOS window opens >>Sounds like hard work that way.I use XML for creating scenery.FS9 (& FSX) are on a separate partition from my 'Scenery Edit' partition,which makes compiling rather tiresome if using separate commands to compile,move the file and restart FS. So I use a batch file to compile, stopFS9, delete the 'old' BGL, move my new BGL to the temporary scenery folder,and restart FS. This works in XP, Vista, on FS9 and FSX.I usually have FS9 (or FSX) open in a 'half size' window, my codelisting open in Notepad, and a shortcut to the batch file 'Move.bat'visible on the desktop. FS needs to be closed and restarted toupdate the BGL files, and this batch file does that for me.'Taskkill' is a Windows internal command that works in XP and Vista.'/IM FS9.exe' or '/IM FSX.exe' are the switches and 'Image names' or files toforce FS to exit.Here's the batch file, 'Move.bat'. It saves an awful lot ofkeystrokes/mouse clicks:cls@echo off:Redobglcomp.exe static.txtecho Static.bgl compiled !taskkill /IM FS9.exe >nulrem echo Let's wait a moment..del "D:\FS2004\Scenery\UK\Woodvale Static\Scenery\static.bgl" >nulrem if error goto redoecho Previous Static.bgl deleted !move "E:\Scenery Edit FS9\static.bgl" "D:\FS2004\Scenery\UK\Woodvale Static\Scenery" >nulecho Static.bgl moved !pause >nulstart D:\FS2004\FS9.exeAfter I hit the 'Move' shortcut, the batch file does the followingactions:1. Compiles the temporary file 'Static.txt' which includes my new XML code2. Exits FS so that the 'old' bgl can be deleted3. Deletes the old BGL4. Transfers my new compiled BGL to the scenery folder5. Restarts FS.This will also enable you to cut down your compiling time to the minimum - I havehad FSX restarting in under 40 seconds when editing scenery.I rename the BGL later - when that particular scenery item has been finished.Since I keep a constant backup of my XML 'txt' files, I can add allthe listings later to make the completed BGL.The 'Static' part of the filename is simply a temporary filename to enablethe batch to do its job without constant editing. I just rename it to saveit being wiped by the new incoming file, and leave it in the scenery folder.The new Static.bgl will contain the next scenery item I am creating.In your example just change the paths and filenames for your 'mdl' file.When compiling BGLs, FS will not permit the old bgl to be deleted oroverwritten, so this batch file can also include a delay loop if necessary,to allow time for FS to unhook. The 'Pause' waits for a key to continue,displaying any compilation errors, so I just hit the spacebar afterchecking whether the compilation was successful or not.Very necessary when writing XML....BGLComp error messages are not tooverbose either...Hope that helps.RegardsBillBill CusickFormby, UK0.9nm SW R03 EGOW

Hi..my name is Antonioi have the same problem with bglcomp...after reinstal windows...i drag and drop asm file on bglcomp and it doesn't create a bgl file..but appears a dos windows for a microsecond and nothing is created...i also used the command U:\VS2005_Projects\Test1\bin\Debug>bglcomp my_xml_file.xml in doswindows and i get this response in dos: The system cannot find the drive specified...where are the problem...i awaiting responses...ps excuse me for the horrible english but i'am italian... thank you

Gentlemen,Please do not use:U:\VS2005_Projects\Test1\bin\Debug>bglcomp my_xml_file.xmlThat is only an example that Luis S

Gentlemen,Please do not use:U:\VS2005_Projects\Test1\bin\Debug>bglcomp my_xml_file.xmlThat is only an example that Luis S