Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Ready to Upgrade FSX Terrain, Environment, Landclass, etc.

After exploring FSX with the default scenery, I cant't believe how much I miss the updated terrain, landclass, and environment I had in FS9. I had FSGenesis, Flight1 Ultimate Terrain installed in FS9. My home mountains and elevations were very close to real. The only problem was I just had the USA. I hear there are some great addons for scenery for the whole world. Any recommendations or suggestions?? I liked having towns and streets in the right places, as well as rivers, lakes, mountains, etc. Thanks. Tom

Guest sillyeagle

FS Global 2008 is a world wide mesh package, though the Ultimate Terrain X packages are broken down into USA, CAN, and EUR. http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re/ibosh...gi?showd,,10335Personally the only scenery I bother to fly over anymore is FTX. Like many once I started flying over FTX scenery it just wasn't possible to accept anything else. http://www.fullterrain.com/

Guest PPSFA
After exploring FSX with the default scenery, I cant't believe how much I miss the updated terrain, landclass, and environment I had in FS9. I had FSGenesis, Flight1 Ultimate Terrain installed in FS9. My home mountains and elevations were very close to real. The only problem was I just had the USA. I hear there are some great addons for scenery for the whole world. Any recommendations or suggestions?? I liked having towns and streets in the right places, as well as rivers, lakes, mountains, etc. Thanks. Tom
Check my sig :(

Guest sillyeagle

Here's some more links:Environment upgrade(REX):http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/(clouds, sky, water, airport textures, weather engine)Ground texture upgrade(GEX):http://gex.flight1.net/(Terrain textures, urban, rural, wilderness)Terrain data upgrade(UTX):http://www.scenerysolutions.com/ut_fsx_usa.html(Landclass, roads, rivers, lakes, coastlines)I've got both GEX and UTX for US and Canada, but since I no longer fly outside of the areas covered by FTX I do not use them, and don't even bother to install them anymore, being that FTX is so good. The nice thing about FTX is it includes textures, hand placed landclass, brand new autogen, updated roads, rivers, and coastlines, plus many other VFR and custom objects. In addition there is a full range of airport add ons available for the covered area, which are also the best you will find, and the makers of FTX have also released several payware quality airports as freeware, and have a couple hundred more freeware airstrips available. Make sure you get the free FTX Tasmania demo from their freeware page, as it the best piece of freeware ever released for FSX. That way you can see first hand, and for free, how awesome FTX really is.http://www.fullterrain.com/freeware.html

:( Another vote for FTX here. I also have UTX for USA, Canada, and Europe as well as GEX for ground textures, and ASA + FEX for environment. These are all very good, but I too find myself flying almost exclusively in Australia thanks to FTX -- it's just so hard to go back. Photorealistic scenery just doesn't do it for me as it just looks like I'm flying over a photograph, especially at lower altitudes. FTX has brought this sim to life with it's custom and well placed autogen, custom landclass and sharp textures for each region plus a package of 250 detailed airports available for free from here http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?autocom...s&showcat=1RegardsMartin

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

:( Another vote for FTX here. I also have UTX for USA, Canada, and Europe as well as GEX for ground textures, and ASA + FEX for environment. These are all very good, but I too find myself flying almost exclusively in Australia thanks to FTX -- it's just so hard to go back. Photorealistic scenery just doesn't do it for me as it just looks like I'm flying over a photograph, especially at lower altitudes. FTX has brought this sim to life with it's custom and well placed autogen, custom landclass and sharp textures for each region plus a package of 250 detailed airports available for free from here http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?autocom...s&showcat=1RegardsMartin
Thanks for the advice guys. I remember reading about FTX and it sounds great but is it available for the US? I thought it only covered Australia. Thanks again, Tom

Guest manicman
Thanks for the advice guys. I remember reading about FTX and it sounds great but is it available for the US? I thought it only covered Australia. Thanks again, Tom
Currently only Australia region packs are available, they are currently working on the first US region pack. :)

Guest a42abid
Currently only Australia region packs are available, they are currently working on the first US region pack. :)
I saw somewhere on their website that the first region pack for North America will be based on the Vancouver, US Pacific Region area. Its called USA Blue. Given how large and diverse the continent is I'm thinking that this project could take at least a few years to complete. I haven't tried FTX yet but based on all the reviews I selected AU Blue. I'll take to the air on Saturday and hopefully it will live up to all the great reviews I've come across.

Guest sillyeagle
I saw somewhere on their website that the first region pack for North America will be based on the Vancouver, US Pacific Region area. Its called USA Blue. Given how large and diverse the continent is I'm thinking that this project could take at least a few years to complete. I haven't tried FTX yet but based on all the reviews I selected AU Blue. I'll take to the air on Saturday and hopefully it will live up to all the great reviews I've come across.
Take off from Canberra our Launceston for some good scenery areas. There is also a 20m mesh available for Victoria, though a bit spendy. You can get it here:http://www.simpilotexperience.com/They will probably end up doing selected regions around the world rather than trying to cover all of the US. Florida may be the next US reagion to get the FTX treatment.

I have posted this link in another thread so apologies mods, but on reflection, it would probably be better here... This will leave FS9 for dead, you won't look back... Early beta shots though,Early Beta FTX Pacific NW shotsCheers,

Guest a42abid
I have posted this link in another thread so apologies mods, but on reflection, it would probably be better here... This will leave FS9 for dead, you won't look back... Early beta shots though,Early Beta FTX Pacific NW shotsCheers,
downtown Seattle looks stunning! I hope they do Vancouver and Victoria as well. Based on NA Blue, this is going to take a long time though but oh man...its gorgeous!

Guest 56RAF_Seeker

How do these enviroment packages work, are they mutually exclusive?I've allready got UTX Europe and it seems very good, but that FS global 2008 looks tempting. Does one install and run these things together, or does the one replace the other, or do I merely juggle them up and down the preference order in the scenry options box?

How do these enviroment packages work, are they mutually exclusive?I've allready got UTX Europe and it seems very good, but that FS global 2008 looks tempting. Does one install and run these things together, or does the one replace the other, or do I merely juggle them up and down the preference order in the scenry options box?
Is FTX just for mesh, or are textures, landclass, etc. included? Thanks. Tom

Guest sillyeagle

@ 56RAF_Seeker, each add on is for a different set of data. UTX provides data on roads, rivers, coastlines, lakes, and urban landclass. So UTX is simply a package of data that tells FSX where to display what. FS Global is a Mesh product only. Mesh is your elevation data, so installing FS Global will only improve the resolution of elevation data, which means a lot of the rounded mountain tops will take on their correct shape and appearance. Other add ons like GEX are texture replacements, so GEX will replace your terrain textures with new ones. While each of those add ons does somethibng different, there is another add on which combines these elements, which is FTX. See below. @ Tom, FTX is called full terrain experience for a reason, as it's the full package. You get hand placed landclass, new landclass textures, new autogen trees and buildings specific to the textures, coastlines, roads, rivers, lakes, custom VFR objects, and mesh. With the australia coverage the mesh is provided as freeware, though it has been anounced that the PNW package will include a 20m or better mesh in the package.