Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest lgvpilot1

United Airlines US flag

I wonder can anyone explain to me why United display the US flag backwards one one side of their aircraft?I had never noticed before , I always thought it was a FS painters error , now it seems the error is mine :( Mark

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

AR670-1, 28-18 specifies the wearing of the flag on uniforms:(2) The full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is worn so that the star field faces forward, or to the flag

giving the appearance of the flag flying in the breeze as the aircraft moves forward.
Just to add that AFAIK the custom of showing the "flag flying in the breeze" on aircrafts and ships is in use in most or all countries.Marco

Just to add that AFAIK the custom of showing the "flag flying in the breeze" on aircrafts and ships is in use in most or all countries.Marco
South African Airways dont , and I think that is what made me look to be honest .I have had a good look on airliners .net And I am getting the Impression that they are one of the few exceptions to the rule !!It is something I suppose i will have to pay a little more attention to when doing a repaint But thanks for the information as to the reasons It is true that you never stop learning !!!Mark

Just as an amusing aside:A friend of mine in the Navy ROTC told me once of a time when an Army general (might have been retired, can't remember) in uniform came into their class for a lecture. The subject of the "backwards" flag came up, to which the general had the following reply:"See this?" (he paces across the front of the room a few times; the flag is flying in the breeze) "The U.S. Army is not a retreating army!"