Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

In the "How's that again" department

Those of us who enjoy Tileproxy would have a legitimate explanation for blurred textures, at least :( http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/03/11/google....rnia/index.html
Even if the bill passed, it would most likely eventually be declared unconstitutional by a court, as it is a clear violation of the First Amendment! As there is no expectation of privacy while out in public.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

As a native of Kalifornia, I often wonder how the Golden State got to where it is today. This distingushed politician from San Diego gives me a clue. :(

As a native of Kalifornia, I often wonder how the Golden State got to where it is today. This distingushed politician from San Diego gives me a clue. :(
I just wonder what the distinguished politician is so worried about that he might be caught doing..(an ex San Diegan)...

I don't see whats wrong with property showing up on Google earth. How is someone supposed to know which building is a school, which building is a government building, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with schools showing, or government buildings. The public has the right to know where they are. How are buildings, homes, etc. going to affect the delinquency of someone if they don't know what it is, or whats there in the first place? My gosh, these politicians need to go back to the books and study the Bill of Rights.

Adding to my dismay about the distingushed politician's focus, most of the imagery that Google and Virtual Earth utilize is third party property. That third party being the U.S. Government and it's U.S. Geological Services branch. 99% of what Google shows me for the U.S. I can go and retrieve from the USGS Seamless server.Will the distingushed politician seek criminal indictments against the USGS for showing where buildings are?The "Golden State" has become so tarnished... even Cash for Gold won't offer it any money! :(

Adding to my dismay about the distingushed politician's focus, most of the imagery that Google and Virtual Earth utilize is third party property. That third party being the U.S. Government and it's U.S. Geological Services branch. 99% of what Google shows me for the U.S. I can go and retrieve from the USGS Seamless server.Will the distingushed politician seek criminal indictments against the USGS for showing where buildings are?The "Golden State" has become so tarnished... even Cash for Gold won't offer it any money! :(
What's also annoying about all this is the "bogeyman" mentality where access to information is blamed for every potential threat out there known to man. They worry about terrorists being able to map out air ducts and access points to buildings. What's next--as a pilot will I be prohibited from flying over a city or prohibited from taking photographs? Why not ban tourists from photographing buildings? At my daughter's school recital I took pictures. Maybe any photography in schools should be prohibited out of fear it might aid a terrorist. Wait, just took my daughter to Disneyland a couple weeks' ago. They will need to ban photography there too, less the entrance to the Haunted Mansion be revealed to those who pose a threat.Hugo Chavez in Venezuela shows a good case study of how someone can use "Democracy" to chip away at freedoms. We need to watch our political process closely as we, as voters, can be lured into giving up some of the most cherished parts of our Constitution. I am sure those who participate here from other countries have their own insights, would be interesting to see if they've experienced something similar in their political process.-John

How about this for a wonderful bit of UK law http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/kate_day/blog...ld_worry_us_allYet I am led to believe we are the world capital for CCTV cameras EDIT although if it will do away with those awful reality Police camera action type tv programes Im all for it : )Mark
I liked the first comment:
The first thought that struck me on hearing this was; who ever sees a policeman on the street these days?, surely such an rare occurrence is reason to commemorate it with a photograph, if ony for bragging rights. Imagine arriving at the pub & remarking "Saw a policeman on the street today." Met with cries of "B*llsh*t!", "Pull the otherone!", "Yeah, right!". And there you would be, unable to pull out your camera & show them.
I agree with what appears to be the concensus of those who've posted comments. The new law is intended for "selective enforcement" to eliminate "inconvenient pictures" of police misconduct...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Those of us who enjoy Tileproxy would have a legitimate explanation for blurred textures, at least
So, any potential terrorist trying to decide where to attack next, will just have to look for blurred spots, and being sure there's something sensible there ?Clever...