Sign in to follow this  
Guest wintercon

Most challenging airports in the world ?

Concerning Paro-Butan (VQPR): In real life the planes flying in follow the valley from point Takti south of the airport and of the Vor Por.Some videos from youtube:The siren goes when there is a plane coming in:

A319 landing on runway 33:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iusF1E8N4OU...feature=relatedBa146 circle to land on runway 15:
There are many others. All are impressive!Guy

Wow!!! That Ba146 cockpit video is really incredible!!! Thanks for posting this for us to enjoy. :(

Two other of my favourites , in Switzerland:Lugano (Lsza) , surrounded by mountains and the lake, very nice scenery. Especially the circle to land on rw19 is challenging here is a real life video with an ATR:

Sion (Lsgs) , very impressive mountain scenery, descent through the valleyGuy

The French airport you're thinking of is Courchevel.
My biggest challenge in FS. But, you would not want to attempt the 'big iron' there, and if you do, please post pics :(

One of my favorites is the approach to the 02 runways (with circle to land)of the SantosDumont airport (SBRJ) at Rio de Janeiro.Guy
I was just there 10 days or so ago. There is a road that runs across the beginning of 02 that leads to the buildings you see on the right. The buildings on the right are the Brazilian Naval Academy whose boss is Admiral Diaz. Great guy, great team of officers and a great student body. They really treated us well and there are some really sharp students at that academy. Hope to get back there soon.Now, on to the subject... I still think the most challenging airport in the world is Dutch Harbor on the island of UnAlaska in the Aleutians. Been there a couple of times in real life, and I can tell you that a flight from PANC arriving in IMC conditions at Dutch is a real challenge, both for the pilot and the passengers.

Almost forgot this one:potts.jpgOWN5, Potts Field in Wisconsin, which is the shortest airstrip in FS. A good challenge, as is SPRF San Rafael in Peru, the highest airport in FS, at over 14,400 feet.San Rafael - check out the altimeter reading and the mixture lever:Sanrafael.jpgAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I was just there 10 days or so ago. There is a road that runs across the beginning of 02 that leads to the buildings you see on the right. The buildings on the right are the Brazilian Naval Academy whose boss is Admiral Diaz. Great guy, great team of officers and a great student body. They really treated us well and there are some really sharp students at that academy. Hope to get back there soon.Now, on to the subject... I still think the most challenging airport in the world is Dutch Harbor on the island of UnAlaska in the Aleutians. Been there a couple of times in real life, and I can tell you that a flight from PANC arriving in IMC conditions at Dutch is a real challenge, both for the pilot and the passengers.
You are very fortunate to having been to Rio !I tried Unalaska (Padu) the Gpse-E approach and circle to land to rw 30. Effectively very challenging! Even with good weather.You need references on the ground to fly those circle to land . Once you have them its much easier.a good cockpit video of an approach to rw 12:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-amMHceIiM...feature=relatedGuy

Another one in Switzerland: MOLLIS (Lsmf) next to the lake of Waalen. Entirely surrounded by mountains.It is a military field , but also open to general aviation and business jets.Access to both end of the runway 02 and 20 is challenging.The most challenging approach is the "Klausenroute" . The Swiss call this approach "the queen of all approaches".It begins at the Southwest of Mollis, near the most southeastern part of the lake of Lucerne (near the city of Altdorf and waypoint Malus) and goes over the Klausenpass, which is passed at about 10000 ft (near waypoint Soper) , and then plunges into the valley (with speedbrakes on the Lear).The runway 02 is seen only at the very last moment, because it is hidden by a mountain.Guy

Very challenging also and with nice scenery : Gibraltar (LXGB).Especially the approach to rw 09, as you must avoid the spanish Algeciras protected airspace (indicated on the FS flightplanner) and the final turn is only 1,5 miles before the runway.You find charts for example here: http://girjetvirtual.es/gibraltar_vfr.pdfGuy