Sign in to follow this  
Guest wintercon

Most challenging airports in the world ?

Guest wintercon

Hello guys. Me and my house mate are big simmers,we in compare to other young people love simming around in planes and often are asked why you play such a boring game flying from a to b? We often tell them to mind their own business,and since me and my mate coming from different parts of the world,finding someone who enjoys simming as much as I do is really rare.We always wanted to fly with each other in LAN but 2 weeks ago we encountered several problems that we were unable to fly with each other due to different versions of FSX. I had Deluxe plus accerelation and he only FSX. So he bought then the deluxe with acceleration,reinstalled FSX,defragged and now we both are flying in LAN online togheter and we are looking for every day new challenges.We usually do short to medium range flights anything from 20 minutes to 1 hour. And every day we are looking for a new challenge.His favorite plane is the overland Airbus A340-600 Virgin and mine the CLS 747-200 Lufthansa.Now then people including my girlfriend are wondering how we can enjoy this and what is the thrill about this simming?It is the Take-Off and the Landing!!! Which both of them are executed manually.Now we are looking for challenging airports,which are hard to approach and make our lives a bit harder.I heard of the 9000ft high airport around mt.everest from that expansion.Anyone does know any hard to approach or hard to take off airports we could take on next ?Which parts provide difficult situations ? weather,mountains,shorter runway..hard to approach airport,etc..Sorry for the long introduction but I am just obsessed to put in details :)

A couple of my favourites come to mind. First is Lukla (VNLK) which you have already mentioned. Try flying from Lamidada (VNLD) to Lukla in some poor weather for a real challenge. You could try it in your 747, but you wouldn't even get out of the valley much less execute a missed approach.Another is Innsbruck (LOWI) which you could try in your 747. It's not an easy approach in a big bird. You'll need to follow the valley as you descend, and execute a quick turn onto runway heading just before touchdown.

Mike Beckwith

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

Try the LOWI Innsbruck 26 off-set ILS from RTT, Circle-to-Land 08. That'll keep you awake nights.Use the SBG2A arrival chart. And leave the AP off. :(

This is a very repetitive topic. You may want to search this forum (and Hangar) because lists of such airports show up here all the time.

Guest wintercon
This is a very repetitive topic. You may want to search this forum (and Hangar) because lists of such airports show up here all the time.
If this might be a very repetive topic,I still have the right to express myself and to post a thread about it as I believe for me that just straight pin pointing a location to start with helpes me a lot more with straight out answers.If this is so repetetive topic,how come then people respond to this topic quicker then to a topic which I posted about the full dump on my 747 and no one has posted anything yet cause there is little knowledge about it for the CLS airplane as of how to do Full dump?At least in this one I get quick answers so I can note them down and email it to my friend and he creates a flight route for it.Easy as 1,2,3.

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

You really should try the arrival and approach I mentioned, but as a 'head's up' for you, you have no rights whatsoever in a private forum except as they see fit to give you.Your privilage to post here is at their descretion. Sorry, but that's just the way it is on a private board.

Guest wintercon
You really should try the arrival and approach I mentioned, but as a 'head's up' for you, you have no rights whatsoever in a private forum except as they see fit to give you.Your privilage to post here is at their descretion. Sorry, but that's just the way it is on a private board.
Mate do you think honestly this is my first time posting on a private forum? I know how things go but always mentioning that this has been before,you know I still can post and ask the same goal but in a different way.I included a short introduction with a few questions,I dont see why there is anything wrong with it,I am just sharing my passion with everyone.

You might want to try the approach to PJIA/TNCM Princess Juliana International Airport on St Maarten in the Dutch Antilles. It has an offset beacon for the approach to the main runway (R09 in FS, but since changed its designation at the real airport), there is also the 1,000-foot-plus Mount Fortune at the end of the runway which you have to make a turn to 160 degrees to avoid if you go missed. Getting a 747 or similarly large aircraft down on that runway requires good braking and reverse thrust, and there is no ILS to help you so it's a VOR/NDB approach. For a good test of skill, try a flapless approach into there, that'll get you sweating.There are some tricky airports in and around the Himalayas and you might also like to try KTM/VNKT Tribhuvan International Airport at Kathmandu in Nepal. That's one of the most notoriously dangerous airport approaches there is, with several large airliners having ploughed into the mountainous terrain whilst near or en-route to it in recent years, including a Thai Airways Airbus A310, a Pakistan International Airbus A300, and a Necon Air BAE 748. It has a 10,000 foot runway, and you're gonna need it, because it is well over 4,000 feet above sea level.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest Boeing Skunk Works
Mate do you think honestly this is my first time posting on a private forum? I know how things go but always mentioning that this has been before,you know I still can post and ask the same goal but in a different way.I included a short introduction with a few questions,I dont see why there is anything wrong with it,I am just sharing my passion with everyone.
I didn't mean any offence or that you were new to posting on forums. I think it's a very good question and replies are fast without a day's worth of searches. It doesn't suck up THAT much bandwidth to answer a simple question about good arrivals and approaches.Try the Prague LKPR RAK2W arrival too. No using the FMC or AP though. :( This will keep you busy for 20 minutes.

Guest wintercon
I didn't mean any offence or that you were new to posting on forums. I think it's a very good question and replies are fast without a day's worth of searches. It doesn't suck up THAT much bandwidth to answer a simple question about good arrivals and approaches.Try the Prague LKPR RAK2W arrival too. No using the FMC or AP though. :( This will keep you busy for 20 minutes.
I appreciate that,I did not take any offence,I just want to share my passion and I know to release some feelings such as " I know which airport he could like,this and this and this" releasing feelings in other passionate simmers in this forum .It is also sometimes good for brain storming as well :)Problem is my life is very busy and I am at work currently while writting in this forum, and after work I usually dont have much time for research and we got big flight plans to be setup for the weekend as we planning some nice "adventures" around the globe with our BIG airliners.

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

Then definitely try both arrivals and approaches that I mentioned.I know what it's like to try and plan a flight to somewhere I've never been before. Sometimes it takes a couple of hours.I have canned FP's with TO and landing slips for everywhere else.

I would have to agree with some of the replies above. The Visual runway 5 at Madeira is a good one realworl video

, especially at night and the RWY 9 approach to St. Marteen is really good, even better if you have the FlyTampa St. Marteen scenery.Also a good one with the St. Marteen scenery is the St. Barts approach and landing, although you would need to do it in a much smaller GA a/c. A favorite flight of mine is to do the San Juan Puerto Rico (TJSJ) to St. Marteen in a heavy with real world weather, then upon landing and taxing to your gate, switch over to a small GA like the RealAir SF260 or your favorite GA and do the flight to St. Barts. Very pretty if you do it at sunset or sunrise. Watch the video on this page of a plane landing there http://xo.typepad.com/blog/2008/02/landing-a-plane.html . A person got clipped by a plane landing there not so long ago.Another one that you may want to try is the one to Tegucigalpa, Honduras Toncontin airport. Watch this video of a real landing
. Good luck and happy landings.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Out of curiosity, I just tried the CLS 747 into Kathmandu with a severe crosswind, and it's a lot of fun. And I promise I'm not making this up, on the approach turn over the mountains, the Multi Crew Experience co-pilot actually said: '******* Al, maintain a safe speed!'. I nearly fell off my chair laughing, that program is just so great.Here's a nice screenshot I took on finals:CLS747intoKathmandu.jpgAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest wintercon
Out of curiosity, I just tried the CLS 747 into Kathmandu with a severe crosswind, and it's a lot of fun. And I promise I'm not making this up, on the approach turn over the mountains, the Multi Crew Experience co-pilot actually said: '******* Al, maintain a safe speed!'. I nearly fell off my chair laughing, that program is just so great.Here's a nice screenshot I took on finals:CLS747intoKathmandu.jpgAl
This is a very nice screenshot. I just love the 747 from CLS,highly detailed and the engine sound is just amazing ! The background is also very nice,I will try these approaches in the upcoming days,I am putting them into REX so I can do a bit of a weather game with it.I took a picture of me and my friend flying above me in the A380 and we took an amazing picture of our planes just 150 meters away from each other.To bad I was to drunk and turned of my laptop before saving when going to bed,lol.