Sign in to follow this  
slip-stream

OOM errors in FSX during loading.

Are there any fixes that I can do to cure this recurring problem? I have 2 GB RAM and as far as I know more RAM will not help as XP only recognises 2GB. Thanks in advance.

Keith Sandford.

Are there any fixes that I can do to cure this recurring problem? I have 2 GB RAM and as far as I know more RAM will not help as XP only recognises 2GB. Thanks in advance.
You should really first do the search on OOM errors - there are numerous threads on this subject.See /3GB switch, 64bit Windows.And btw. has nothing to do with amount of RAM you are using.

XP only recognises 2GB
Not exactly. Almost all 32bit systems (XP is one of them) recognizes about 3GiB operating memory.

Not exactly. Almost all 32bit systems (XP is one of them) recognizes about 3GiB operating memory.
It's a correct statement, but considering the post from before, its a false one.If you state something like that, explain that it recognizes 3GB only in system - for FS it means exactly bollocks.You have to enable XP to able to use 3GB with the /3GB switch (up to 3GB virtual size per process) AND enable the application to be largeaddressaware.Good luck.

Guest Nick_N
http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041Read this part: USING MORE/LESS or EQUAL to 2GIGS OF SYSTEM MEMORY IN WINDOWS XP x32 OR VISTA X32 with OOM-OR-HOW TO PROPERLY TUNE VIRTUAL ADDRESS SPACE IN WINDOWS (x32) FOR OUT OF MEMORY ERRORS x64 operating systems do not need the following changesPLEASE NOTE: This section is for anyone who sees out of memory error while using FSX. It applies to ALL circumstances.

You have to enable XP to able to use 3GB with the /3GB switch (up to 3GB virtual size per process) AND enable the application to be largeaddressaware.Good luck.
Lets keep something straight. The /3GB switch has NOTHING to do with using more than 2GB of RAM.

Bert

Lets keep something straight. The /3GB switch has NOTHING to do with using more than 2GB of RAM.
I'm sorry Bert, if you think I was unclear in what I said.How much memory an application uses as its virtual space has nothing to do with physical RAM in your machine.As I said, /3GB switch is going to enable an application to use 3GB of virtual space, instead of 2GB - and again, it has nothing to do with physical RAM or even virtual memory.