Sign in to follow this  
Guest hefy_jefy

FSX memory usage

Guest hefy_jefy

Current Setup FSX Acceleration, WinXP 32bit, Core 2 duo E8600 @3.33GHz 4 GB memory Nvidia GeForce 880GTSSomething happened the other day that I have never seen before (I have been messing around with FS for ever).I got a message that my PC had run out of memory and that Flight Sim was closing - try some lower settings.This started me doing some checks on exactly how much memory I was using running FSX - and I found that it was right around 1.0Gb > 1.4Gb and when it got much above that things started falling apart...I did find that a printer utility that I had installed recently was gobbling up 50K which I killed instantly, and I beleive it was that that had put me over the limit.I dutifully lowered the AutoGen turned down the traffic and things are back to normal. But I did wonder why, when I have 4Gb of memory FSX complains that it has run out when there's still plenty left. OK I know I can't use all 4GB with a 32bit operating system but still there seems to be plenty of headroom.Thats the basic question, my other questions are:1. If I went to XP 64 bit would FSX make use of the extra memory?2. What about the graphics card, it has 320MB of memory - is that the problem?I noticed that I get the "fences" syndrome when things are getting towrds the limit (huge green fence posts reaching to the sky) also that the dialog text disappears, I have become used to this and just ease up a bit on the scenery settings (or go to Alaska)Any thoughts?Geoff

Current Setup FSX Acceleration, WinXP 32bit, Core 2 duo E8600 @3.33GHz 4 GB memory Nvidia GeForce 880GTSSomething happened the other day that I have never seen before (I have been messing around with FS for ever).I got a message that my PC had run out of memory and that Flight Sim was closing - try some lower settings.This started me doing some checks on exactly how much memory I was using running FSX - and I found that it was right around 1.0Gb > 1.4Gb and when it got much above that things started falling apart...I did find that a printer utility that I had installed recently was gobbling up 50K which I killed instantly, and I beleive it was that that had put me over the limit.I dutifully lowered the AutoGen turned down the traffic and things are back to normal. But I did wonder why, when I have 4Gb of memory FSX complains that it has run out when there's still plenty left. OK I know I can't use all 4GB with a 32bit operating system but still there seems to be plenty of headroom.Thats the basic question, my other questions are:1. If I went to XP 64 bit would FSX make use of the extra memory?2. What about the graphics card, it has 320MB of memory - is that the problem?I noticed that I get the "fences" syndrome when things are getting towrds the limit (huge green fence posts reaching to the sky) also that the dialog text disappears, I have become used to this and just ease up a bit on the scenery settings (or go to Alaska)Any thoughts?Geoff
Have you tried the '3 GB switch' in your boot.ini?I also use XP32 with 4GB of RAM. XP32 cannot utilize all 4 GB, in fact will only 'see' 2 GB, but will 'see' and utilize about 3.15 GB with the 'switch' line in the boot.iniI can typically utilize 1.7+ GB of RAM while using FSX without a problem (I have an 8800GT with 512). Before utilizing the 'switch' I also experienced 'out of memory' errors.This has been discussed many times before, and for the life of me I cannot find a good link to point you to for further info, but perhaps someone else will jump in with additional info.Also....are you running FSX SP2? If not, I highly recommend it as the old original FSX.exe also needs tweaked to utilize over 2 GB of RAM......edit: Found Bill L's origional post on the subject:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=65741&st=0Basically here is the settings I finally ended up using:[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP XXXX Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /userva=2560

Have you tried the '3 GB switch' in your boot.ini?I also use XP32 with 4GB of RAM. XP32 cannot utilize all 4 GB, in fact will only 'see' 2 GB, but will 'see' and utilize about 3.15 GB with the 'switch' line in the boot.ini
The advice is good... even if the explanation is not :( If you get Out Of Memory errors in FSX, it is not because the OS is running out of physical memory.XP32 sees the >2GB memory just fine.This has to do with address space limitations in XP32, and the /3GB switch does indeed provide the fix, regardless of memory size.XP64 does not have this limitation.

Bert

The advice is good... even if the explanation is not :(
Yea...well...I knew I would 'bugger up' the technical jargon Bert. :( Now....let me discuss architectural design, construction methods and detailing....and I would not have the same problem. :(

Guest hefy_jefy
Yea...well...I knew I would 'bugger up' the technical jargon Bert. :( Now....let me discuss architectural design, construction methods and detailing....and I would not have the same problem. :(
Many thanks guys - I am not completely dumb at this stuff but I never heard about the 3GB switch - many thanks I will give it a try...Geoff

Many thanks guys - I am not completely dumb at this stuff but I never heard about the 3GB switch - many thanks I will give it a try...Geoff
No problem at all Geoff,This should solve your issue.

Yea...well...I knew I would 'bugger up' the technical jargon Bert. :(
Bert has the technical details down pat now, after I whacked him with a 2x4 last week... :( :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bert has the tecnical details down pat now, after I whacked him with a 2x4 last week... :( :(
And here I thought only Nun's used 2x4's :(

Bert has the tecnical details down pat now, after I whacked him with a 2x4 last week... :( :(
Tecnical details? :(

Bert

Tecnical details? :(
Oh my, a typo... ...how humiliating! :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator